Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bobcat 773g overheating

bcat773t ยท 2011-07-28 17:44

Hello to all the experts on the forum. My bobcat 773g is overheating and just long beeps and stalls. I opened up the engine compartment and noticed fluids spitting of hose under the hydraulic filter.. is the normal? Does overheating usually pertain to coolant? Does hydraulic fluid overheat also? I'm about to replace the thermostat, but kinda wondering why hydraulic fluid is coming out instead of coolant.. Much thanks

Replies5
  1. #1willie592011-07-28 21:48

    Not sure which hose you're referring to, but you're gonna have to get some clue if it's coolant/engine over heating or hydraulic oil. Hydraulic fluid can get hot in extreme temps and hard workload. Maybe a coincidence, but one of my co-workers called today and said the oil was hot on our S185. Never happened before so I'm not sure what to make of it at this point, maybe it is related to the extreme heat we're having of late. Told him to keep an eye on it, and when it gets hot to let the machine rest at idle to cool down. Don't just shut the engine off, let it run at idle.

  2. #2bcat773t2011-07-28 21:55

    Funny thing, I just turned it on and attached my backhoe just to move without attaching the hoses. There is a hose like about 3 to 4 inches long below the filter. Which I believe is the hydraulic oil filter. Would low hydraulic fluid cause an overheat?

  3. #3willie592011-07-28 21:58

    Low fluid by itself would not cause fluid overheat, it requires the machine to work to create heat, then you could overheat. But typically, if you run a 773G low on hyd oil, you will notice it. The drive pumps will growl and you'll feel surges in drive and boom operations, fairly obvious tell tale signs.

  4. #4Gacoustic2011-08-15 22:09

    Clean the fins of your hydraulic cooler (I'm assuming bobcat has such a cooler) it sometimes gets full of dirt and oil and the fan cannot draw air past it. If the fluid leak is near the hydraulic fill then it's likely the hydraulic fluid swells up and pressures out the cap. Those caps are usually designed to allow fluid to pass if level gets to high. My Scat Trak machine get's hot and have to keep my fluid near the bottom of the sight glass.

  5. #5bcat773t2011-09-13 21:41

    I finally had time to check out the overheating. I found out that the service guys that previous serviced it, failed to fill up the radiator. NYC folks avoid Lapietra (A-1 Tool rental). The leak I stated was from below the coolant filter. After added the fluid, temp gauge is not even close to the middle.