So had a fuel leak on our lull fork lift. It has a cummins 19H6 (stamped on the block) motor in it with a Lucas DES type 700 fuel pump, A53L/800/3/2725. Took the top plate off as that was the gasket that was leaking and some blake RTV and put it back together, now it won't idel down. Runs at a very high idel and in the process of taking it back apart the gasket broke. Need some help please? Anything will help!
That lever in the second photo is the mechanical shutoff so I would expect it to slow or kill the engine, that's what it's there for, back when we had manual shutdowns. Now back to the original problem.... where's pumpguy?
Thanks Lantraxco Thanks for leting me know what that part is and does.Now that I know that it's not the problem it's on to a bigger things, the high idel. must be that spring that hooks to the flap? I hooked it back up just as it was but I didn't mess with anythig else so what else could it be? Where's Pumpguy???? Inside Joke Or Something? Need to get this fixed ASAP!
Pumpguy is one of the forum regulars who does fuel injection pumps for a living. He may answer your question in the next five minutes or he may not ever view this thread. That's the nature of a public forum. If you're absolutely desperate to get this machine running, I suggest you call your local fuel pump shop and get one of their service techs out ASAP. As with everything in life, you get what you pay for.
Lucas pump serial # 11312DOG Lull serial # 97V13N21-687
most fuel injection pumps are very sensitive critters. the slightest thing can upset them. I have had many over the years where people tried fixing simple leaks and caused a much bigger problem. I agree with Cmark on this one. you better get a tech out on it before causing even something worse. and remember, with fuel systems, you cant be clean enough! keep open stuff capped and covered as much as possible when working on it. good luck
Depending on WHERE the spring is located on the throttle end.. will determine if this suggestion is any good. IF its on the #3 hole, closest to the cover or pivot end.. you might have the spring on THE OUTSIDE of the lever.. The throttle portion must go IN THE CENTER, hole part, of the spring. Another thing that could be happening is.. see the adjustment on the back of the cover, poking thu the cover. That could be catching on the metering valve and holding it in the wrong position.. very likely.. I can tell you where the spring IS SUPPOSED TO GO if you get me ALL THE #'s off the nameplate.
BTW> RTV WILL NOT SEAL the top cover. you have to get a new gasket.. just call your local inj. shop and tell them you need a DPA top cover gasket.
Just saw the #'s I needed to determine the spring code.. IF you wrote them down correctly.. 53/800/3/ The 3 is your spring code.. which translates to #1 hole on the throttle and #1 top hole on the governor.. From your pic we can see you have the spring in #2 hole on the gov.. THATS your problem.. Your welcome.. Get a NEW GASKET and don't forget to engage the shut-off bar hole w/ the shut off lever nub..
DAM pain killers.. I made a mistake.. its 3 on the throttle.. closest to the pivot.. and 1 on the gov.. google>> cav dpa spring code chart.. it shows it EXACTLY.. MAKE DAM SURE the throttle goes INSIDE the spring.. on the throttle..