Hello everyone, hope someone out there on the inter-webs can help me find parts. Found this machine on Craigslist for 5,500 OBO, offered 5 and was the lucky "winner???" He said he had over 80 calls on it, so other than 2 known issues, must be good. No other hydraulic leaks, starts right up, Deutz engine, tires all hold air w/ some cracks on 2. 1) - I bought this machine and the steering column was wrapped in rags? I soon found out why. The housing is cracked, and not rebuildable, per my hyd. guru. Need to source a new, or good used #P19293 steering orbital valve. 2) - need to pull the center mast 14 ft. 300 lb. cylinder to reseal. Need the tips and tricks of those who know. Seems a scaffold section is a must. Saw plenty of videos ,but please - those with first hand knowledge reply here. I do have the service manual, and printed out that section to get it all greasy so you can't read it. (ask me how I know) don't worry, I printed two. Kinda fuzzy on remove/install on the hoses and cables, not much detail on NOT making this a bunch of tangled snakes. Thanks for any/all replies, I need all the help I can get. Mods - if there is a better place to put this thread, by all means, move it. Thanks!
Try Baum Hydraulics. They are familiar with almost anything hydraulic and will steer you in the right direction. Surplus Center might be able to help. I don’t see steering valves listed, but a phone call will make it easy to find out, and their folks are super helpful. One thing’s for sure. Lull didn’t make that valve, nor is it special and unique to their machines. One customer of mine has a 644 or 744 that the boom cylinder leaked on. I took off all the fork frame so he could access the cylinder and an experienced mechanic from the dealer came and removed the rod nut and cyl packing gland (although with some difficulty) and renewed the packing without taking the cylinder out. I wasn’t there when he came, but he took less than a half day. I can’t tell you if he unhooked any hydraulic lines or just opened it up.
Thank you for your reply, (and anyone else feel free to put up a comment.) I did find a orbital steering valve to repl. Eaton 213-1006-002 for 315 bucks. That is good to know, that it can be resealed without removing it from the machine. Any chance you know the name of the company that did it, and their location? I'm in Northeastern Penna. and my hydraulic guys are Northeast Hydraulic in Dickson City, near Scranton. They do have a service truck for job sites, so it is a possibility. Only issue is cost - versus my hours of unknown fumbling getting it out, and back in correctly. Wow, Actually may be better all around; that may be a game changer. The old guy used to say, "just pour money on it." Thanks! Rolls down one hill, canardly get up the next.
JLG acquired Lull. I assume your local JLG dealer should be able to get the orbital valve but you won't like the price. I think there are updated part numbers for these older machines. I have a 644B and there are for my machine. Getting the current part number might help you google for the valve. Hopefully you can retro fit a generic one that can be had for a reasonable price. I have never pulled that telescope cylinder apart. I think on mine there is a threaded end on it with a nut. I think this would mean you could repack the gland on the machine like eastroad said. Boom out, take the nut off and suck it back in, take the cap screws out of the end of the cylinder and pull the end off. If it needs piston seals too I am not sure if you can pull it out on the machine. I don't think you'll have to remove any lines. But you will make a oily mess when you pull the cap off. Don't know if you know but JLG actually has quite a few manuals for these older machines on their website. That said I haven't found their service manuals to be amazingly helpful.
The dealer I think was All-Lifts in Albany, NY. the Lull manuals are on line and free !!
Thank you all for commenting, these forums are a godsend for specific knowledge on issues where someone else has already been there - done that. I'm a 71 y.o. newbe with this machine. My machine is an older open cab model, with the decals showing which of the 1000 handles do what function completely obliterated. So I went on line to download a copy of the operators manual for that info, then found the repair manual also. There is a step by step section on removal of the 14 foot, 300 lb. extension cylinder. As stated by Andy1845c - there is not a lot of detailed info there, just a progression of "how to" - step by step. I'm not even sure how to re-install, or what the purpose is, for the little wire cable inside the boom? All that doesn't matter If it can be repacked in place. That would be a home run. I'm even feeling brave like maybe I could just do it myself? I already did the seals on my Cat 308 excavator main cylinder. It was big, heavy, and an oily mess, but not difficult. So, keep all the tips and tricks coming, I'm not at all familiar with this machine. Thanks!
Can you post a picture of the cable? Is it a wire rope type cable or an electrical cable? Mine doesn't have any cables in the boom. Some of these had a light on the end of the main boom (not the telescoping part), and the larger 10K# 54' units have a proximity switch on the main boom to read how far out its telescoped. My 42' machine doesn't have this and I dont think the 34' machines would have this either. Off hand I am not sure what that would be.
wire rope cable. Section 4 figure 4.2-2 shows it as a cable in front of picture - item 5. Section 4 figure 4.2-10 shows a routing diagram. I do not know the purpose of this cable? Thanks!
* don't know if it matters if I can do the repack on the machine?
Huh. I do see the cable. I haven't worked on this model. From the manual drawing it looks like it might move the rollers that manage the hoses in the boom? Hopefully someone else will chime in. TractorMech has a lot of experience with these machines.
Yes, hopefully. I noticed the boom lift cylinder is a single one, not a pair - on the curbside of this unit. Why would you do that? It's bigger in diameter, and very near the rear pivot pin. I would think a tandem pair could be lighter duty, and mounted halfway out the boom. Any opinion on this, anyone? * Or, is that a carriage tilt cylinder?
Got one already, it was delivered today, just plumbed it together, need my helper here tomorrow to get the steering wheel held up on angle to go into splines, and put the 4 bolts into it to mount to dash, you need 4 hands. Tomorrows challenge will be to get the forks off and front cylinder out of the way. I need to get to the 2 1/4"nut - to break it with the 1" impact gun. Repair manual says 3000+ foot lbs. Hope the impact does it? Thanks everyone!!!