Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lull Hydraulic Cylinder Drift

Kiteman ยท 2015-09-22 23:40

I'm experiencing hydraulic cylinder drift on multiple cylinders at the same time. Its primarily the main boom elevation and telescoping, maybe also carriage tilt. It doesn't seem like a check valve thing to me since it started at the same time on both.

Replies5
  1. #1Huntoon2015-09-23 18:56

    Is there a counterbalance valve in the setup? Could be the cause if it's broken or not set right.

  2. #2Kiteman2015-09-23 23:11

    I don't know. Right now I'm thinking the control valve connected to that joystick might be involved. That joystick controls both of those functions.

  3. #3icestationzebra2015-09-26 01:52

    I have a hard time believing that both counterbalance valves went bad at the same time. I think you are on the right track with the joystick. ISZ

  4. #4Kiteman2016-05-09 11:58

    Well it appears to be 50% fixed. I got o-ring kits from Web Equipment for the two identical main counterbalance valves, one on the main boom cylinder and one on the extension boom. Had a hydraulic repair place put the kits in for me since there was about a dozen o-rings each. What a pita removing the valve from the main cylinder. After putting them back in, I left it overnight extended and elevated with a half-ton concrete block on the forks. The main boom didn't drop an inch,but the extension boom came down all the way. Now i see that there is another smaller counterbalance valve on the extension boom. On mine it's on a manifold at the rear of the cylinder along with the other valve and hose attachments. The parts diagram shows it out at the other end of the cylinder, prolly why I missed it. Its smaller but there's a kit for it, too. Just have to verify with Web Equipment.

  5. #5Kiteman2016-05-23 18:52

    The local repair place repaired the other counterbalance valve for $58 including the o-rings. It only dropped 1 inch overnight, so I'm considering that a complete success, for less than $200.