Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

M series Grader with a two inch hole in plastic fuel tank!

grandpa · 2018-08-09 19:41

Well, today I poked a hole in my graders fuel tank. The air was pretty blue around for a bit.. Call Zieglers to see how much a new tank is. $1200 bucks. Bad news. Worse news, none in the Cat system anywhere. A quick view to Youtube says they can be welded with a soldering iron. Pssf, soldering irons sold these day wouldn't melt it worth a ****. Pull a 12v glow plug out of my pickup, hook a switch up to it grab a hand full of zip ties and welded that hole shut, put a chunck of fine screen over the weld. Covered it with another pile of melted zip ties. I welded it shut and that sucker hasn't leaked a drop and I did it with the fuel in it. I LIKE PLASTIC FUEL TANKS!!!!!

Replies11
  1. #1heymccall2018-08-09 21:49

    My recently purchased Weller 250 with a paddle tip will do that all day long. And, c'mon, no details of what put the hole there in the first place?

  2. #2grandpa2018-08-09 22:04

    Piece of well pipe popped up and poked it,,, never happen like that in 29 million years again. Well only to me anyway.

  3. #3John C.2018-08-10 00:51

    Used to use old combs for that. Nice work!

  4. #4ovrszd2018-08-27 18:59

    This is actually the first time I've heard of a punctured tank. I have no idea why. Maybe others are embarrassed to admit it?? Nice repair!!!!

  5. #5funwithfuel2018-08-27 19:41

    Hillbilly engineering FTW. Woo-Hoo!

  6. #6alco2018-10-26 01:35

    We had a punctured tank on an H series Cat grader. Tire chain side link snapped and proceeded to tear a nice hole in the side of the tank. Of course, it happened right at a creek crossing on a logging road.

  7. #7grandpa2018-10-26 05:10

    Well, I didn't lose much fuel.... just UNDER the epa limit.

  8. #8Queenslander2018-10-26 19:32

    There is another thread at the moment where someone is looking for a MacGyver type to host a tv show. Sounds like you’re just the man for the job grandpa.

  9. #9grandpa2018-10-27 10:19

    Ha Queenslander, i've been doing what im doing for the last 53 years and haven't got that right yet!!! I think that I would be untrainable at my age.

  10. #10kenh2018-10-27 13:05

    Very interesting repair. I would never have thought of using glow plug. Soldering irons are available up to 400-plus watts!

  11. #11grandpa2018-10-28 14:45

    I've since rigged up a handle and switch for the glowplug. If I need to do soldering in the field , I just hook the leads up to the power of the vehicle im working on an use that . Is a wonder on fixing lights on the back of my dump trucks... power is already back there and no dang cords to string out .