Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

M317D2, C4.4 cranks but not start only when sniff it start and if I stopped engine then start, it will not start

Sameh · 2024-07-16 16:57

Dears, I have a problem with this machine: * first the fuel rail pressure was 7000 kpa when desired 41000, I checked the rail relief and it was leaking. * I replaced the relief, but still not start * the primary and secondary speed sensors read the same reading. * the low pressure fuel is good * the injection disable is off * the fuel filters changed * I made an external fuel tank, but still the same * Engine ECM software is up to date Has anybody face the same?

Replies6
  1. #1Sameh2024-07-17 02:11

    CH500286 is the Sr no.

  2. #2Nige2024-07-17 02:56

    I had similar experience with C4.4 in compactors. You have replaced the rail relief with no improvement. The next step is a set of injectors and if that does not work you are in for a new high-pressure pump.

  3. #3Cliffy2024-07-17 04:29

    Yep Nige is spot on. Multiple times ive come across this as well. The old perkapillar no start syndrome. Measure the leak off from injectors. They will be buggered.

  4. #4Cliffy2024-07-17 05:16

    Nige, do you have a theory as to why the 3.3, 4.4 and 6.6 (perkins 1103,4,6D) are so susceptible to injector failure. Ive never replaced so many injectors as these engines. First i blamed prefilling filters and high sulfer diesel In Australia.

  5. #5Nige2024-07-17 05:22

    I think it’s related to filtration. Not sure about the sulphur but our fuel on the job site where we had the compactors wasn’t ULSD

  6. #6Nige2024-07-17 15:09

    Thinking about it a bit more the sulphur in high-sulphur diesel is considered by most fuel experts to be a lubricant. If this wasn’t the case why would there be so much concern over the lubricity levels of ULSD.? Which brings me neatly back to my primary suspect - filtration. I reckon it’s internal wear that causes the injector/HP pump failures. My call would be to switch to ultra-high efficiency fuel filter elements if they are not called out as standard fitment.