What are the differences (if any) in Canadian buncher vs US machines of the same make & model?
I haven't seen a buncher to be able to tell you what they have done. On the shovels the base parts of the machines were the same. There can be differences on what the dealers install. Finning likes to put a lot of their stuff in and use their ideas of what is necessary. Canadian built log loaders have the raised cabs that are also extended forward and are rear entry. They do the guarding packages a little different to. You might find some different electrical stuff installed also.
I could be wrong but was told the rear entry is a safety issue. long way up on a dark morning with mud on your boots.
In Canada and parts of the US they think so. Problem is no one has ever showed anyone here an accident report of someone falling out or off the side of the standard cab. I've seen plenty of reports on those meat freezer doors acting like a guillotine and pinning people between the door and cab frame.
I was just going by my friend that loads log with a big Cat loader, he also likes the idea of opening the door between trucks to be able to get out of the seat and stretch his legs.
Is this a generalisation ? Wheeled vs tracked feller bunchers . It would be a case of getting chassis number and engine numbers etc and referring back to the manufacturer to find out the exact spec of the machine from the records. & engine, hydraulics etc could be different after a changeout., upgrade. ROPS cab rules different in places so you would need to check compliance.i.e thickness of Margard & steel bar reinforcement etc. Could be differences in cooling, radiator size fan pitch Florida vs Northern Alberta, spec of hydraulic oil and other fluids. Def heaters when cold.? https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/ca/ (Canada engines supposedly linked with US engines 2011) https://www.tigercat.com/service-tips/winter-care-for-forestry-machines/ http://ph.parker.com/ca/en/nomad-fuel-heaters
I was told the reason for the rear entry cab on log loaders came from WCB. Their theory is if the Operator has a heart attack or is other wise out cold 2 guys could get him out of the cab without having to throw him on the ground!
OK, I was told it was when you laid the machine over, you didn't have to kick a window out, you just opened the door... In theory.
The best thing about a rear entry door is the extra income it provides to the dealer or manufacturer.
The ONLY reason I like the rear entry cab on my new 3756 is that he has room in it too.
I think one of the big things about the side door is that guys will sometimes run with the door open and then you have no guarding to protect you if some thing goes wrong.
You mean they might fall out if their seat belt wasn't buckled? All the bunchers I've worked on have a switch on the door so they won't operate with the door open. The same can be done on a shovel if it was really a problem.
Before we had forestry cabs on our shovels here I would run with the door open while shovel logging and sometimes in the dark you would get some brush slapping up in there with you.
I have had operators try to put logs though the cab several times and if the door was open that would have been the end of me. But way back in the olden days I have run old Americans with sliding side doors and didn't mind it on those really hot days. But not in the landings. Its all what your use to I suppose
Had a scare with rear entry. Early morning and operator was running late. He called and asked if I could flash up machine. I climbed up onto Hitachi 400. Machine facing slightly uphill. Standing on first step,opened door and holy crap. Had no idea door was so heavy. Threw me backwards onto machine deck. Dark and scrambling to find something to hang onto. Came out ok but scared the crap out of me. Bp
Heres an old school rear entry cab. On these machines it seemed handier and the doors were nt to heavy.I built this one in my early years, part of a complete overhaul we did to that machine
Tugger, That looks a lot like Weyco. I love that avatar photo!
The origonal log loader conversion was done by Cyprus Equipment,long gone now i guess. We decided it was a good photo op with the shovel bucket. Myself and another welder had just finished welding the new manganese lip on it. Rolls and rolls of 3/32" Stainless Wire.
Flat pads and hook rollers. Now those were the days!
Yes ,in those days a man could start his career on one of those machines and retire on the same machine. Try that with todays iron.
Nice old Yank!
Well, I got my buncher down from the island last week. It was built in Illinois, shipped to BC & now back in the lower 48. It is a pretty decent machine, it did kill the pump drive 12 trees into it though.
All most every thing was bushed on them except for the swing and the drums . There is not a single bushing that I have not changed on a American . Still remember how to set up the swingers lol
Yes . At one point we made all the shafts and bushing ourselves line bored once in a while when we had to. The only thing we outsourced was the cutting splines and gear work. I d build up the track pads with a wire feed gun mounted on a track cutter. Tremendous pride went into those rebuilds, it a was a privilege to be given the opportunity to do that kind of work.