I've been looking for a Komptech Crambo wood grinder that doesn't cost $800k. There are a couple tier 3 machines out of California for $200-300k. Could anyone guess how much it would cost to repower a machine with a Cat c-13 500hp tier 4? Has anyone else gone through this process in California? Seems like a mine field of regulation. Thanks
I copied this post from the General discussion forum. I've been looking for a Komptech Crambo wood grinder that doesn't cost $800k. There are a couple tier 3 machines out of California for $200-300k. Could anyone guess how much it would cost to repower a machine with a Cat c-13 500hp tier 4? Has anyone else gone through this process in California? Seems like a mine field of regulation. Thanks I'm assuming you copied the earlier post because this is the more appropriate forum for the topic. Since nearly identical threads in multiple locations can cause confusion, I've merged the two threads, and left the discussion to continue, here. ~Digger242j
Are you having to repower it? or just want to?
No tier 3 or earlier equipment can be imported into California. For the next couple years tier 3 can still change hands within CA but it needed to be registered in Ca by some date that is long past. Ca is a pain in the ass, but there is money here. I just don't have enough of it to buy an $800k machine yet.
Burning diesel in a place where the authorities don't want anyone to burn diesel is going to provide challenges. Have chippers ever been repowered with natural gas engines or they cannot handle the vibration and be reliable? https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/power-systems/industrial/gas-engines.html post from 2 years ago of a truck engine into an excavator with the carb considerations of the time HeavyEquipmentForums You would also have to do a cost comparison with the cummins equivalent and their after treatment system packages, if diesels are still allowed
Looks like a bureaucratic process. If you found something in Canada - might need exemptions etc it appears. https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines Really need to see the 'top people' and get everything in writing/ print before anything happens. Check board meeting dates so they don't change rules in the middle of your purchase process. https://www.arb.ca.gov/portable/portable.htm https://www.arb.ca.gov/portable/perp/perpfaq_04-16-15.pdf
They are famous for saying they are not responsible for any decisions you make or non-compliance. I have called several people listed in their publications and left voice mails, zero response. Everything is at your own risk.
I brought my chipper into Pape today to get it serviced and asked their head tech about the repower. He said I'd be into it for $100k for the engine and installation if it was even possible with all of the new wiring. That would all need to be cash and wouldn't be reflected in the resale value...so NOPE. Thanks