I see machines which I look at which are telehandlers that are not what they say they are. Some may be simple ignorance of fact and not intentional. Some is just fraud even by dealers which are say very large major equipment dealers. Sad when they take it on trade in bad times then need to pump up the model year to someone unsuspecting person thinking they can trust buying it from a well established dealer. They give to much in trade then try to rip someone off to get rid of it.
Don't know much about the sales business Speedpup, but I would imagine it goes both ways; probably good, honest, reputable dealers out there, as well as dealers who hope you don't find the little "problems" with the machines they advertise. And it's not hard to imagine it happens with large as well as small dealers. I guess it still comes down to buyer beware. Unless it's a person you trust, you need to really go over a machine. Like I said, I have nothing to do with sales, except, when they ask me to do a machine condition report. I go over a machine and I note the good, the bad, and the ugly. I don't care what I find...it goes on that report. I don't have any problems sleeping at night, and I intend to keep it that way. I can only speak for me personally; if I can't deal with someone honestly, I don't want to be involved.
we're all adults....the term....."buyer beware" comes to mind
It's everywhere..Field ready..Work ready.. Like new..Low hours..One owner..No leaks..Good rubber..Cold air..Gently used..No smoke. One of a kind..50 % UC..Then you hava look see.....After you traveled 200 miles...We are trusting of others by nature..but an experience like this will try our Christian Faith
I've got to agree with you pittedmess. I have no doubt this happens, and that's why I will resist being a salesman with everything I have in me. I do, however, think that a lot of times the salesman is probably clueless. For example; I was in my office just yesterday, and one of our salesman was in a cubicle opposite of me. I overheard him talking on the phone to a caller about an older service body truck we have. I heard him say "it has a 16 hp compressor on it". He was reading this info off of the equipment list, he doesn't know any better. My head popped up. Why, I know the compressor engine is not operational, the carburetor is GONE. I can't even run it to know if it works. I walked straight to the boss's office and said "I'm going to take a torch and cut that compressor off of that Chevy service truck and dump it in the scrap bin". He looked at me...and I clarified. I told him of what I just heard and reminded him "the compressor is not operational" (I've sounded this clarion call on this truck several times). He said, "we (him) better change this on the equipment list". To which I told him, "yes, if your going to tell a buyer 'it has XXX', and they come to look at it, it better have XXX". I'm tellin' ya...it's all I can do to keep these salesman straight.
yea buyer beware but if your at a large CAT dealer and they are jumping the machine 6+years in age it is fraud. I told the guy and he agreeded but they never changed it. so it is not an honest mistake.
I once rang a dealer about a 50H tbl and specifically asked the salesman for him to give me the serial number as they started with the model no ie 50B or 50D****** ;which he did , we discussed the TBL and from the talk I decided to drive the 180 miles to view or buy it,so off we went a couple of days later and arrived in his yard after 3hrs drive, to find a older model 50D ; on which the transmission was weaker than the H or HX model. It was one of the few times I blew a gasket, lost the plot completely,the salesman took off running to his office,alas he was fleeter afoot than yours truly, (legs shorter than waist size didn't help) ,he locked the door and was terrified cowering inside in his office.A more senior person was summoned and while I waited for his arrival I was plied with coffee. When I had cooled off I walked out to my jeep collected an invoice book returned to the office to the waiting executive ,I explained what had happened while writing out an invoice for my day and handed it to him telling him that if it wasn't paid I would have them published.He called in the salesman asked him what he told me on the phone,the little pup tried lying his way out of it,I said nothing let him tell his tale,returned to the jeep picked up my diary returned to the office handed it to the manager told him to open the page with the marker on it,listed on the page was the pups name,phone number and all the details we had talked about including the serial number. The manager turned to the salesman told him to clean out his desk that he was fired,he apologised to me paid my invoice and off I went on my merry way ,over the years they had items of plant for sale and not once did ever call them.
I've plied both sides of the desk over thirty seven years in the business and seen all the types of salesmen and all the ploys enlisted in making a sale. There are the old dogs that say nothing and let the customers talk themselves into buying a junker and then there are kids who throw in the kitchen sink with a sale and never make any money at all. The dishonest usually don't last long but that is not a hard and certain fact. I've also seen customers do their best to hide huge problems in critical components in trades and lie through their teeth about maintenance and recent repair. The dishonesty is about equal on both sides and from my point of view the dishonest customers seem to stay around a lot longer than the dishonest sales rep. I've pretty much decided that this is just the rules of the game and all you can do is learn to live with it. If you want to succeed you have to know what you are doing. If you want to learn the game you have to pay your way in. That means you either take your lumps until you gain the experience or hire an expert that knows the ropes to guide you till you can make your own way. It's not worth getting mad about but if that helps you get square on the dollar out lay you made then more power to you.
Caveat Emptor Reminds me of a Queensland shyster selling seaside lots many moons ago...5 acres...problem was, it was only 5 acres at Low Tide...Lol