Machine.... Caterpillar D9T. Total miles (f+r).... around 8111 miles. Total gallons of fuel consumed... 48,409 gallons. MPG...... .17 or about 1/8 of a mile per gallon! Would this qualify me in the fuel guzzler category?
I like this one... Lifetime Total Engine Revolutions: 310288960.....I wonder how far the counter goes up before it starts over. Before long they'll have to abbreviate it to "LTER" to make room for all the numbers.
Can't help but notice that you spent more time in N than you did in either 1F or 2R. :cool2 That's really interesting though. Does anybody have any sort of target figures for what sort of proportion those numbers should be in, or benchmark figures to compare to, to be sure the machine is being operated at its optimal productivity? (In other words, can they use that sort of information to make the case that an operator that's spent more time in 3F and 1R hasn't been pushing much dirt? Or haven't any of the number crunchers gotten that sophisticated yet?)
We have something like that on all our production equipment. The shop supervisor can pull up just about anything he wants, on any piece of equipment, in real time, on his laptop, anywhere. Story I'll never forget... Due to the narrowness and steepness of our main pit ramp, 2 out of 7 gears were taken out of the haul trucks to keep everybody at a resonable speed. Turns out one of the guys was riding down the ramp in neutral so he could get back to the loader faster. BIG NO NO, as without the drivetrain engaged with the engine, you have very little cooling to the brake system. The supervisor was in California at a corporate meeting and happened to check out some of the equipment late that evening. The pit supervisor got a call around 11:30 pm letting him know that when he, the shop supervisor, got back to Georgia, that driver was getting written up. Big Brother hard at work.....but saving money as well.
I suppose one could use these numbers to check productivity. There would need to be a way to re-set the counter, if you will... These machines are seldom on the same job for any length of time. I have no idea where this machine was prior to the job I'm on now or who was running it. That's the nature of the rental business. What I do see....way too much time in 3rd gear! If I were paying the bills, there would be no 3rd gear.:my2c
I think it's a great idea. In this case, it may have kept someone from getting killed. Bottom line is.... the owners of these machines are in business to make money safely and efficiently. They need every tool available to them to ensure that no money or lives are wasted. In construction equipment, I'm all for Big Brother.
No doubt. Wasting money effects the bottom line, which in turn affects my quarterly bonus. I think the system we use is made by Cat...but I can't be sure without asking someone tomorrow.
Wow, we are all being watched. I wonder if it will count how many times the operator wondered if Deere was still better?!?!
Rollover, the fuel consumption says 10.6 gph under load. Is that a C18 and does it really get that low fuel consumption? It I had the machine total hours divided into the total gallons we'd get the average on that machine to date.
deere does deere make anything to compete with the d9t i thought the larger models were liebherr badged deere we dont have deere construction equipment in the uk only ag tractors:beatsme
Deere builds the dozers from the 700 to the 1200 for Liebherr, and Liebherr builds Deere's crawler loaders and the 450-650 dozers. But correct me if I'm wrong. Deere is just wierd.
You are incorrect....so if you shall let me I will correct you There is a strategic alliance with Liebherr to build certain products exclusively for the North American market for Deere. 950J and 1050J (D7RIII and D8T for those of you that only know Cat numbers) are built by Leibherr to be sold in North America exclusively as a John Deere product. In Europe these same machines are sold as the Liebherr 744 and 754. 605C, 655D and 755D crawler loaders are built by Leibherr with Deere engines to be sold in NA exclusively as a John Deere product. In Europe these same machine are sold with Liebherr engines as Liebherr 614, 624 & 634 respectively. 244J, 304J and 344J wheel loaders are built by Leibherr with Deere engines to be sold in NA exclusively as a John Deere product. In Europe these same machines are sold with Liebherr engines as Liebherr L506, L508 & L510 respectively. These are the only products that Deere and Liebherr have a relationhip on. All other four wheel drive loaders and crawlers are designed and built in Deere factories in Iowa. This includes 450J - 850J crawlers and 444J - 844J loaders.
Yup, they are weird. I stand corrected, stumped, but corrected.
I was at an idle when I took the pic. I'm running 10 hrs and burning from 160-180 gallons a day. Keep in mind that I'm working in rock. 1st gear ONLY and full throttle occasionally, after I load the blade up.
Yup weird....kinda like Daewoo/Doosan making Bobcat skid steers and partnering with :beatsmeDaedong:beatsme to make Bobcat branded compact tractors. Truth be known it is a global market out there and just about every equipment manufacturer has some sort of strategic partnership in order to make it financially possible to bring a product to market that otherwise would prove to be economically unfeasible. Yes even Caterpillar has these types of arrangements.....including SMC or Shin Mitsubishi Caterpillar??:bouncegri
some more totals for yea, this ones the newer D10T (around 2000hrs) last ones the dozer under full load:naughty gotta love how thirsty that v12 is
this ones the D8T. btw the machines idling when i took the pic, so i don't know why it says 0gph it works when its at any thing other than idle:beatsme
SCM for Shin Caterpillar Mitsubishi. and D7R2. Not a series 3 machine... i.e. not meeting emissions... All you people saying that electronics aren't the way to go, isn't this fun! In all seriousness -- even with the limited number of replies on the subject so far, we've (you've, anyhow; I shouldn't be taking credit since I haven't said anything conducive to the discussion) already begun to analyze how we can make the operators more productive. So here, anyhow, in this limited-scope item being discussed is a way that electronics could make the owner's and operator's alike bottom lines better.
You are right 77W....and I know that. I'm just ....kinda resisting change.... Change for the better. Just as long as it doesn't change too much. Hmmmmm....... just had another thought...... I wonder how long before these new machines will come out standard with a 24V robo-operator?
Thanks for the correction....I just can't help putting the word "Caterpillar" last :lmao My bad....I mis-read the model number on the web site. It is hard to keep Cat dozers straight now. You have G's, RII's, K's, N's & T's. Especially the D6. You can't just say "I need a D6" anymore!!
Is there something about coasting in neutral I don't know? I see it's got 10 hrs. I never do it.
A Quarry operation in Middlebury VT. Bought the first 994 here and not long after they got it the office got a call from cat "YOU TELL THAT OPERATOR TO STOP OVER REVVING THE ENGINE IN THAT MACHINE" . I kinda like the idea that if someone is operating a machine wrong it can be caught that much earlier.
LOL at the first comment and you're telling me on the second... :beatsme Rollover Pete, I was just joking around (and will continue to do so here): I don't really like electronics all that much more than mechanical stuff... come on... I'm a mechanical engineer! What happens to my major when all the mechanical stuff goes away? ointhead
All this electronic stuff is pretty neat. Its amazing how far its come in the last few years. I realize also that it is to increase production in a time when operators are starting to get hard to find. However, my problem with it is the fact that it can't be repaired by anyone that doesn't have the computers and adapters and such. Doesn't matter how productive a machine is if it won't start. I recently had a C12 shut itself down on a pile driving job. Lost a full days production moving my barge to the beach to swap it out with our old machine.( Which, and don't tell anyone, has a 3208 in it with 5000 hrs on it that hasn't done nothing but run) Then fly the Catman down to fix it. Bad computer. If I'd been out the chain it would have been down a couple weeks.
Performance Data So what's the usefullnes of the performance data ? The Maintenance people, for analyzing undercarriage wear rates, component overhaul or replacement, service & oil, intervals , changes. Fuel consumption rates nowadays for the estimator. All this is usefull for tracking costs, and performing maintenance but, does the operator need to know and use this info, hardly.
Actually if you look deep enough in that program you will find that all the troubleshooting information is in there and accessible to anyone without laptop computers and tons of expensive software. Basically, if you understand how it works and what the information is telling you, you don't need to call the dealer with every little hickup the machine makes.
Why am I thinking of the movie Airplane ?
yea thats 66 hrs too many in 3rd gear, shouldn't even have 3rd
Why shouldn't a dozer be ran in 3rd gear? You have no idea the circumstances those dozer where ran in so a statement like that sound a little ignorant. If you have a ways to travel dozer goes just as fast in 3rd at 1/4 throttle as it does 2nd and WOT, but uses a bit less fuel. Its funny this was brought up since I was got on to for the # of hrs. I spent in 3rd in a 9T. We park all of our iron in lines for fueling and such like most of you. This was a large job took me ~ 5mins to track to where I was loading scrapers at in 3rd. In 2nd it took ~13mins thats 24 mins a day I could been loading not traveling plus if I had to travel to a new cut or what not. Only took 2 days of every body on the job waiting for me for them to tell me to go back to running in 3rd. I do agree 3rd and WOT is a bit fast, but that only for when I need to educate a truck driver or a scraper hand.
I have to agree with Dozerboy. I run our 10N in third gear all the time but idle it way down. I don't run any dozer wide open in high gear. I've known companies that weld bars across the shift lever slot to keep guys from using high gear though.
the machines here were locked out after the first week, people complaning to much noise, they don't even want you running in 2nd but you can't even keep the hopper full with the 8 or the 6 unless your in 2nd. but we do what we want at night, none of the upper management is around:naughty
Amen brother.
Are these screen in the cabs of the machines, or is it a hand held diagnostic computer hooked up?
I have worked for companies that would fire you if you didn't use third gear. One line I will always remember came from a project manager to a group of operators that came with some D8s that he had rented, he said "when I rent those machines I am paying for all the transmission not just part of it so you better find third gear". Another one I liked when hiring scraper operators was "we only have three rules on this site, seat belt at all times, big loads and top gear"
the screen is on your right side next to the joy stick for the blade, i leave mine on the performance setting which shows the rpm, temp , trans temp and hyd temp. the totals is just one of the things you can view
excuse my incompetence, but whats the point of running in 3rd when working? Wouldnt you in the long run get more production done in a lower gear? More pushing power, less wear and stress on the motor trans, etc etc. I can understand if youre tracking to the location, but other than that I see no point in running in high gear. I and another operator were just talking about the other day. We were discussing what a pain it was going to be to excavate 16" poly lines 12 feet deep with 6" and 10" lines weaving over, under, and around it. And we came to the conclusion that by the time that will need to be done, digging will be done by computers and have onboard sonar and ground penetrating radar that will detect lines; their size, contents, density, and so forth. Seems far fetched now, but the way technology is progressing it really wouldnt surprise me.
Dirtslinger, I used to see crawlers in third gear backing up to get in line to catch another scraper. I've also seen crawlers towing huge wire mess and sheeps foot rollers on freeway projects. It is an expensive proposition for tracked machines so the use had better be able to pay for the added expense.
X2 and the guys that run pullpans with dozers. There is only one condition I have run in 3rd while pushing that is in wet clay. When working wet clay you want to make small cuts anywhere from 1"-6" depending on what equipment you have and what your doing. A D9 in wet clay making a 6" cut doesn't even break a sweat. As long as your a good enough operator to make smooth cuts in 3rd if not then stick with 1st or 2nd.