I own a t800 right now and I love it. I'm looking for another truck and the kenworth with low miles is just too much. I've found some 2002 ch613's with around 200,000 miles with the 427 motor for really attractive prices. I have no experience with Mack. Would this be a good truck to buy? Thanks in advance
I have run Mack all my life in the construction environment and would have nothing else if I had a choice.I have run KWs etc and they are nice trucks but if nothing else you take it to one place for service.Ron G
don't buy an AC engine they had a lot of cam trouble the AI engines are good the trouble now is that volvo is changing all the parts numbers and part pages and they suck along with the new cross bred trucks not only have they screwed up a great brand of new trucks but now they are screwing up the parts system for the the ones that were 100% bulldog
We run them everyday in the dirt our newest has a million 400,000 on the 427 we get good parts support rarely have to wait for a part to come in and we have a lot of common parts on hand that cover our macks about 93 to 2001
got 1969 to 2007 . The last of the bulldogs was early 2007 , getting parts that have been converted to the volvo system is getting to be a guessing game and drawings (skecthes) are horrible
What years are the Al engines? And is the 427 a good engine or should I try to find a 460? I appreciate all of your feedback
I have one 427 never owned a 460 but have driven them my opinion was the same as every one had told me their was not much difference between the two
I have 2 Mack dump trucks. 99 RD 690 S with a 400 ETECH and an 05 Granite with a 460 AI and an 18 sp. I just got the 05 but I took it straight to Antrim Diesel for some performance upgrades. I think without power upgrades you are going to very disapointed with the power. Supposedly Antrim can make them run right and pull good. The AI and ACengines were available from 04-07 I think. both AIs and ACs are ASET (application specific engine technology???) engines. The AIs dont have EGR valves and variable geometry turbos like the ACs. I was told to avoid the ACs. I have heard that the stock 427s pulled better than a stock 460. Goto the Big Mack truck forum there is all the info you need there.
a mack is a B*$#@ to drive/shift if your used to some other brand!!! you can learn but it will b learning curve
The CH series is a road tractor. Many are made into dump trucks, but the R or RD series is better for off -road service. 427 is a good engine, 98-2002 will get the best fuel mileage. Antrim is the place to go for hot rodding Macks. If it has a Mack trans there will be a learning curve. After running a 60 Series with a 13 speed all week then jumping into a Mack with a 12 spd the following week - yes there IS a learning curve!! And because your out here in Free America not everybody knows how to work on them. If you were in the east you would be OK, but in the Rockies it can be difficult. (But it wouldn't stop me from buying it)
Hi new to the site; I am a retired UPS feeder driver and that is what we ran ch613. some had a million miles on them.I would always go for the old Mack before one of the much newer Sterlings.