Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mack E7-460 engine w/leaking head gskt. Risky purchase???

mowingman ยท 2015-11-11 19:42

I am looking at a 1998 Mack CH600 that looks clean. 416,000 miles, 13 speed, wet kit, and a Mack E7-460 engine with visible leaking antifreeze from the head gasket area. Seller says engine runs great, it has not been run hot, and has been parked since the leaks were observed earlier this year. no oil in water and no water in oil 1. Is the Mack E7-460 a good reliable engine? 2. Would a simple head gasket replacement likely fix this engine. OR, might we be looking at a total inframe rebuild job? 3. Am I nuts for even thinking about buying a truck with a known head gasket problem? Thanks, Jeff

Replies7
  1. #1clintm2015-11-11 20:24

    is it an AI or AC engine. the AI is a better engine, they had a lot of cam problems with the AC . if you can get it cheap enough it's never a bad deal

  2. #2mitch5042015-11-11 20:51

    The E-7 is a good engine, but, for whatever reason, the 460 was the worst of them. Maybe that's just more hp than you should get out of it. The E-7 wasn't like most electronic engines of the era, the different hp ratings were actual mechanical differences in such things as injectors, turbo, cam etc. If it's just an external water leak, good oil pressure, good compresion, etc. you have a good chance of doing just a gasket. Make sure you check the block carefully and take the head to a good machine shop to be checked. I have seen block seal work on E-7s too, particularly external leaks. In short, if the truck is cheap and in condition otherwise, I'd be inclined to take the gamble.

  3. #3mowingman2015-11-11 20:52

    How can I tell which one it is, AI or AC?? He sent me a photo of the plate on the engine and it does not show anything about AI or AC on it.

  4. #4mitch5042015-11-11 20:56

    a '98 should be VMAC3, before AC and AI

  5. #5Jim Dandy2015-11-11 21:19

    I have got 2 macks, both with E7s. My 99 is a 400hp and it has a gate valve that leaks which looks like a head gasket leak. Mine is on the driver's side near the firewall. I agree with Mitch that yours should be a ETECH VMAC 2 or 3. The AIs and ACs didn't start till 2004(???). Be prepared to be disapointed with the power but there are relatively cheap ways to improve on that. The bigmacktruck forum is a great resource. I had my 99 for maybe 7 years now and it has been very reliable.

  6. #6mowingman2015-11-11 22:38

    Thanks for the info. I have not been to see the truck in person yet, but will be looking closely at where the leak is coming from. Power is not much of an issue, as it will just be used to move medium sized construction equipment locally. Don't plan on doing any long road trips with it.

  7. #7mowingman2015-11-20 20:55

    Have not had a chance to go see this truck yet. The guy has come down to $11,000 on price. Is this a reasonable price for this truck, knowing it MIGHT, have more than just a head gasket problem??? Jeff