Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mack Range Syncroniser Change in Chassis?

dieseldog5.9 · 2020-04-16 17:46

In an Eaton Fuller the rear of the box can be removed in the truck and repairs can be made to the Hi/Lo Range syncroniser. Can the same be done in a Mack 18 speed, which aparently the syncroniser in these transmissions is the week link.

Replies7
  1. #1Truck Shop2020-04-16 19:04

    Not totally sure on that one, don't work on many Mack Boxes. But you can post on Big Mack Truck Forums and ask for Mack Technician, he's pretty sharp

  2. #2big ben2020-04-16 19:52

    18 years ago I apprenticed at Mack and did lots. You drop a tool/jig down to hold the countershafts and can remove the back section to do the syncro. That’s all I know !

  3. #3dieseldog5.92020-04-16 20:49

    Thanks Truck Shop I will look over there, that website doesnt seem as active as this one. Big ben sounds like you are right just got off the phone with a friend who said the same, I ordered the repair manual from the Mack garage for starters, sounds like there might be a special manual for in truck removal of the back box. Aparently I can rent the tool from mack which is a plus, thought about buying my own if i could find one.

  4. #4walkerv2020-04-16 21:10

    I have seen people do them with out special tooling but they did something just dont remember what . They last pretty good compared to an eaton its like a small clutch pack but if the interlock doesnt work rite it smokes them quick.

  5. #5big ben2020-04-16 23:30

    Ya it’s nothing special. Basically a big flat pickle fork with some threaded holes for bolts to take up the slack. Rent it from Mack and draw it on cardboard in about 2 min. But take the time to set it in right and snug the bolts cause nothing worse than having the back case half, half out and 3 countershafts falling on the floor . That’s a bad day.

  6. #6Truck Shop2020-04-17 07:38

    Eaton high torque rear sections are the same basic principle.

  7. #7dieseldog5.92020-04-17 20:23

    So for the greater good here is the information for this job. Special Directions are available at mack media center, publication number 10-701 These are the tools needed to do this job.