Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mack/Renault midliner

bob b · 2008-06-22 08:25

I have a Mack Ms200p with a Renault engine, and I need the torque specs for an engine ovehaul can anyone help me.

Replies52
  1. #1NEVERSWEAT2008-06-22 12:10

    I work for Renault Trucks in the UK. If you know the engine type i might be able to find out for you. Its normally something like MIDR 06 02 12 Cheers Steve

  2. #2bob b2008-06-22 12:39

    cant find any numbers on it it might be 06 12 30

  3. #3NEVERSWEAT2008-06-22 12:44

    mack midliner Bob Could you tell me the age of thing and i might be able to work it out that way. If so will post reply tomorrow 06/23 Cheers Steve p.s do you torque in Nm or Ibs/ft

  4. #4bob b2008-06-22 12:59

    ft/lbs perferably it is a 1995 I need rod cap,main cap and head torque, I also need the valve adjusting proceedure Thanks alot for the help Steve

  5. #5Colin Doy2008-06-22 16:11

    Welcome to the forum NEVERSWEAT......its er customary for new people to bring a gift....how about sending over a nice new Magnum for bob b??

  6. #6NEVERSWEAT2008-06-23 16:08

    Torque figures Hi Bob Here are the torque figures Main bearing caps are 75lbs/ft then 60 degrees angular Con rod caps are 25ft/lbs then 150 degrees angular Valves are Exhaust 0.020 thou Inlet 0.010 thou They are done on the "rock" No1 cylinder rocking do No6 No 2 rocking do No5 No3 rocking do No4 No4 rocking do No3 No5 rocking do No2 No6 rocking do No1 The head is torqued in the sequence below at 90lbs/ft in sequence then 180 degrees angular slacken off one by one and retighten at 90ft/lbs then 180 degrees angular in sequence. Reference Colins post here are some pictures of the Magnum i am shipping to you Cheers Steve

  7. #7KeppleServices2008-06-24 09:00

    Cool looking truck. Single axle cab over, never seen one before... Then again we dont see to many cab overs any more here.

  8. #8NEVERSWEAT2008-06-24 09:36

    The cab is a seperate module mounted over the engine giving a completely flat floor.Until recently they were E tech MACK powered but now VOLVO derived engines fitted .

  9. #9surfer-joe2008-06-25 01:23

    Remove radiator cap, back a different brand truck under it. Go home happy -- job well done.

  10. #10bob b2008-06-28 00:01

    thanks a bunch steve sorry it took me so long to get back to you. bob

  11. #11dmschall2010-04-03 17:32

    a friend of mind has a 1995 Mack Midliner that lacks power, loosing antifreeze into oil, we suspect head gasket but we are concerned about the turbo inner cooler, if it could leak antifreeze into the cylinders? Never had one of these apart before (auto tech for 30 yrs.) is the head gasket a common problem? does this have sleeves? any help or info would be greatly appreciated..Dan

  12. #12NEVERSWEAT2010-04-04 02:49

    Head gasket failure fairly rare - oil cooler more common but No 1 could be either liner seals or with the wrong coolant porous liners Steve

  13. #13dmschall2010-04-04 10:36

    Mack Midliner MS 200 coolant leak I forgot to mention that the engine is a Renault, MS 200 model, I guess that does not

  14. #14dmschall2010-04-04 10:39

    I forgot to mention that the engine is a Renault, MS 200 model, I guess that does not matter, thanks for you help..

  15. #15dmschall2010-04-07 21:20

    Mack Midliner Reault Engine Cylinder replacement info Well my friend got the cylinder head off and found the number four cylinder scored badly, deeply grooved. He was looking at the cylinder kits at the local truck dealer and they showed shims for what he assumed was for the cylinder protrusion? How do you know if the newly installed cylinder is level with the others, coud you use a straight edge? And do you recommend sealant be put on any of the cylinder seals? Do you have to tap on the cylinder to seat it ? Many thanks in advance..

  16. #16dmschall2010-04-08 07:26

    You were right, looks like the #4 cylinder is scored badly. No sign of head gasket failure. The new cylinder kit appears to have shims, are they for cylinder protrusion? If so, how do you measure the height of the cylinder above the deck to match the other cylinders? Use a straight edge ? Do you add a sealer to any of the cylinder seals? Do you have to drive the new cylinder into place ? You help is really appreciated. thank you

  17. #17NEVERSWEAT2010-04-13 14:46

    Sorry - not been on for a while - do you still need any info ???? If so can you find the engine type on the plate on the engine - MIDR 060212 MIDR 060226 something like that cheers Steve

  18. #18mrey2010-04-27 08:33

    does anyone have torque specs for a mack engine model midr062030

  19. #19DLaw2017-06-20 18:04

    I have a 1998 Mack MS200 with the Renault engine, #5600 426-02 on the block. It recently started getting hot on a return trip from Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania, we live in Knoxville Tennessee. We pulled the radiator and found it flow tested good, but a lot of the cooling fins were corroded away so we replaced with a new one. We also found the electric fans for the cool the A/C coil were bad so we replaced them. We took a trip to Bluffton S.C. last week And the truck ran hot unless we kept it around 1,800 RPM , quite slow going up the mountains. Any Advice as to what might be causing this problem? We thought we would check the thermostat, Anyone know if the water pump impeller could be breaking down , they look to be make of metal in the little bit of info we could find on these engines. Any Advice would be Greatly Appreciated

  20. #20sschmied19652019-02-01 09:23

    I have a 1997 MS 300 with a M510 engine MIDR numbers 06 02 26 I am looking for the torque specs for head bolts and connecting rod bolts I dont know if they are the same as the ms200 I have been looking everywhere and cant get an answer from Mack I had the issue of antifreeze in the oil pan found out orings on sleeves were bad now trying to put it back together and cant find info .Thank you for this forum and your help is greatly appreciated !!!!

  21. #21sschmied19652019-02-01 09:47

    I have had the water pump impeller break down and brought my flow down to just at the edge of over heating changed it out and have never had the problem again

  22. #22mljohn2020-01-05 19:07

    do you still work for renault?

  23. #23Poolguy2024-07-05 07:14

    I’m new here and I realize this thread is old. I posted elsewhere on this site but I thought this may be as good place as I need to try again. I’ve got a 2000 MS 200 with a 20 foot dump bed The S cam tubes along with at least one of the plates on the hub that it bolts to have been bent/broken. One of the brackets on the upper spring perch that the air canister mounts to is also broken I’ve been trying to find replacement parts with very little success. I thought if I found a rear axle assembly, I could get what I need from it. A source for the parts would be great, but otherwise my question is what does parts be the same across the 200, 250 and 300 MS midlines and the CS series of Midland use the same rear axle assembly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Although the truck runs like a top, has only 165K miles on it and has never given me any problems, I’m trying not to break the bank on repairing it as I only paid something just shy of $5000 For it

  24. #24crane operator2024-07-05 08:18

    If I remember right, those are actually a renault truck with a mack name. There aren't a lot out there, so you kind of are screwed- Mack probably won't be much help. Try the big truck junkyards, and call them. Vanderhaags, adelman's, LKQ, weller. If you get the wrong guy on the phone, ask for the old guy that doesn't like to talk on the phone, that has been there forever. He'll know.

  25. #25Poolguy2024-07-05 11:15

    Thanks for the info. Wasn’t aware of two of those companies. Someone did have a rust bucket of one that wanted $3500!!

  26. #26Truck Shop2024-07-05 11:36

    Treat the engine real nice---I inframed one for a local landscaper about 13 years ago. The parts were real tough to come by and costly at that time, who knows what it would be like in 2024.

  27. #27Poolguy2024-07-05 14:09

    Yes, some parts are very difficult to find while others are not brake shoes air cans, filters Even the turbo I found readily available. I found a guy 30 or 40 miles from me that was selling an older one that ran for about 1800 bucks unfortunately it had the old air over hydraulic brakes so it wouldn’t work for me and what I need.

  28. #28crane operator2024-07-05 16:49

    There's also a forum called Bigmacktrucks.com There might be someone there, who would be more familiar with the midliners. Or have a manual that could get you some part # 's . The alternative is figuring out the rear ratio of the current axle, and modifying something from a different mid size truck to mount under it. BigMackTrucks.com Antique, classic and modern Mack Truck Support Forums! www.bigmacktrucks.com

  29. #29Poolguy2024-07-05 17:38

    Yeah, I applied for an account there before I did here and I still haven’t heard back from them and the rear end/differential is actually good what I need from the assembly s cam tubes And the backing plates for the brakes that the tubes bought to. I thought it may be easier to find a rear end assembly rather than as individual parts. Thank you very much for the suggestion and I will continue to try to get on there as well. I’m guessing they figured out I own a Midliner and didn’t wanna let me in lol

  30. #30Truck Shop2024-07-05 17:45

    BMT is mainly Class 8 & antique, plus it doesn't have the following it did.

  31. #31crane operator2024-07-05 18:50

    If you could post up some pictures of the axles, backing plates, housings, diff covers, and anything on the tags, someone might recognize it as a eaton/spicer/ rockwell, which would be best case. It may end up being renault, or something european- italian/ german, in which case it may be more difficult to track something down.

  32. #32Poolguy2024-07-05 20:30

    I’m kind of thinking it into Rudolph rear end posted some pics in the other place on this farm. I guess it would be a good idea to do it here too thank you for that. I’ll try BMT.

  33. #33Poolguy2024-07-06 12:38

    I’m

  34. #34Poolguy2024-07-06 12:40

    Please excuse my talk to text errors. I’m thinking it’s a Renault rear end.

  35. #35Birken Vogt2024-07-06 13:10

    The State of California had a heap big bunch of these as fire trucks from the 80s to the early 2000s. They were not well regarded by the operators but at one time were the flagship model. Leave it to a govt fleet bean counter. Anyway they quickly disappeared after that. The State was probably the last big user of them in the USA. All the excess equipment goes back to the yard in Davis. You might call the State yard in Davis and see if you can find an old guy who remembers them. Or what became of them. They were surely all auctioned long ago but maybe somebody made a boneyard of them.

  36. #36crane operator2024-07-06 16:02

    Your old axle is 4.55 ratio, so if you are a 34" frame spacing, I don't think I'd get terribly excited to try to find parts or a replacement renault axle. I would just try to find a whole axle similar in ratio to what you have, in a eaton/rockwell/spicer and just swap. Will make it a lot easier down the road if you need wheel bearings, seals, brakes, gear set, if you have swapped it to something more common. Its already air brake, vs. a lot of the midliners were a air over hydraulic set up, so you already have that going for you. Start cruising facebook marketplace for a rear cut off or your local heavy truck junkyard.

  37. #37Truck Shop2024-07-06 16:39

    Depending on if it's a round or square tube by the dimensions of a u.s. built rear drive--cut the spring saddles off and weld on.

  38. #38Poolguy2024-07-08 08:06

    Crane Operator, That sounds like sound advise. How were you able to determine that the gear ratio was 4.55? do you have any idea how far from that ratio I could go without having a huge impact on the trucks performance? The transmission is an FS4106B geared more for street application than off road and occasionally has trouble coming out of the hole when loaded and in in soft dirt so I don’t want to create more of an issue there.

  39. #39Truck Shop2024-07-08 11:25

    It's in your photo---9X41=4.55 ratio.

  40. #40Poolguy2024-07-08 12:48

    Well sh*t. I didn’t know about differential code lol! Do you have any idea if they would’ve used the he same rear in an ms200 and a cs250. I know the big difference is a little more horsepower from the same engine and it was a conventional cab versus a cab over with the MS. I asked because I have found a complete rear assembly from a CS 250 with air brakes and it looks like identical for 900 bucks. If I got it, it would mean that I only need change the backing plates and a cam tubes tubes and possibly s cams if theyre bent rather than changing the entire rear and making adaptations for the joint and so forth. I believe that differential is solid and it only has 165,000 miles on it or so.

  41. #41crane operator2024-07-08 20:03

    If the housing is the same, and it came with a different ratio from what you have now, it wouldn't be hard to swap the diff. carrier, assuming the axles are the same. I have no idea if the axles would be the same. You could try to get a picture of the riveted tag off the junkyard axle. That tag is probably the only numbers that matter, the other numbers are typically just casting numbers. But you're still stuck with a oddball axle. If you don't put much for miles on it, maybe that isn't a big deal for you.

  42. #42Poolguy2024-07-08 23:20

    Unfortunately, the tag is missing. however, the rear end looks to be identical. From what I understand, the difference between two trucks is that They added 50 horse at the flywheel, I know the engine and transmission are the same and of course the cab types are different. It would save me a whole lot of work and get me on the road a lot quicker. I recently put brakes on it. They were readily available along with the hardware, etc.. I don’t think bearings would be an issue and the cost is about the same. Of course I would have the rest of the axle for spare parts. at the moment, I’m still bouncing the idea around and looking to see what rears are out there. I’m still in disbelief about what happened. you would die If you saw the size of the concrete block this guy ran over, twice.

  43. #43Poolguy2024-07-08 23:21

    Also, I forgot to mention the Truck stays very local. I probably only put about six or 7000 miles maybe a year on it.

  44. #44crane operator2024-07-09 07:44

    You can count rotations of driveline to wheel rotations, and find out the ratio of the junkyard axle, you don't have to pull the diff and count teeth.

  45. #45Rix862025-01-15 14:55

    Sorry to invade an old/someone else's thread, but seems there's a little knowledge here, and that seems really sparse on this truck... Anyway, I have a 1995 mack/renault ms200p, and I can't find a thermostat for the thing, and I'm hoping someone can point me to one, or to an interchange part.

  46. #46mljohn2025-01-15 15:57

    Last regulator /thermostat I got a few years ago came from mack. Good luck to you as most parts for the renault macks are NLA from Mack.

  47. #47mljohn2025-01-15 15:59
  48. #48Rix862025-01-15 17:01

    Don't suppose you have the part number handy?

  49. #49mljohn2025-01-15 17:13

    4103 5000691267

  50. #50Rix862025-01-15 17:15

    Much thanks to you, sir! Is that truck a cs200, 250 or 300?

  51. #51mljohn2025-01-15 17:56

    200 put it together in 1999 still working it. Have had a couple parts trucks to keep it going.

  52. #52Rix862025-01-15 18:11

    Funny you say that, there was a guy local to me with a parts truck I tried to get but he never answered his ad.