I made a new customer's day better this week. A single mom of 4 and divorced, took her minivan to another shop saying it needed a lot of work exceeding the value of the van. She was heartbroken and my good friend Evelyn told her take it to me to check it out. I was handed the estimate and she saw I was not too happy seeing it. I dealt with this before with them, my 5th time seeing it. I checked it out and found nothing wrong with most of what they said was wrong. Transmission issue, said it needed to be replaced and it was not bad. Was low on fluid finding the transmission lines leaking. A clunk saying it needed suspension parts that were bad and were not. Found it needed new front struts. Did the repairs and she was much happier seeing the bill. Paid me and said I am her mechanic from now on. Seen I was honest to her and treated her right. I learned a very good reputation is key
It's a great feeling when customers come in and ask for you specifically to work on their stuff.
It is and she saw I use common sense as well. Her oldest, her 14 year old son loved it when he got in the tool truck Wednesday for the first time. Snap On comes to my shop on Wednesdays. Seen the videos inside of them and wanted to see the inside of them in real life. I bought him a Snap On hat I let him pick out and she thought that was cool of me. The shop owner I worked for before I went on my own 13 years ago taught me a lot, one was common sense. Him and is son are still good friends with me and I help him out. They help me out too which works out for both of us.
Not always. They might bring you the nastiest repair job that nobody would want to do. Being really good at something can be a curse sometimes.
Some days it is. I'm learning to play dumb now.