Is this bucket made this way or is it from wear? I don’t have enough experience with buckets to know and in my searching I haven’t found any yet that are U shaped like this. The thing that makes me wonder about it is they are all worn so closely the same all the way across the bucket. Any wisdom and experience would be appreciated as I am looking to bolt on some cutting edges. View attachment 291038
Going to have to post photos thru the attachment note at bottom left and will have to fit a max parameter. What type machine, make, model s/n?
81 953 4in1 bucket 76Y00746
Maybe those with access to SIS can enlighten, but to my eye the replaceable cutting edges appear to have been taken off and never replaced leading to bucket attachment edge wear.
This is what I can find to relate to Each edge between teeth is replaceable, bolts are in the holes and bucket leading edge not damaged.
Correct. You need to get some between the teeth cutting edge bolt ons. Available through Cat and aftermarket. It's a shame it's been run that long without them. No sense in that much scalloping.
Thank you. Hopefully it’s not wore so much that it effects the fit of the cutting edges.
I would be more concerned about how thick the bucket lip is to bolt the wear edges too. Is this a hobby or a production machine?
Thank you Cm. I agree, We just bought this machine last month, seems like it’s pretty solid just some stuff like this needed attention. We have some bolt on segments on the way. And I am ignorant but learning more about theses machines thanks to this awesome forum and fellas who take their time to educate others!
Good deal. Was going to pull a part # but I can't seem to pull up the work tool for your machine through SIS. My 953's last 3 digits are 746 as well.
We bought it for the farm to make more pasture and clear old fence rows.
Good looking machine for its age. Those A models are great machines.
I wouldn't guarantee it. The bucket lip is probably so badly worn underneath that it's no longer flat. If that is the case then there is no way that the hardware securing the segments that fit between the adapters would ever stay tight. Take a look underneath and you'll likely see what I mean. To help figure out what Part Number of segment would fit, is there a Part Number on a tag, or stamped, in the top RH corner as you look from the cab on the back side of the bucket.? Somewhere around where the arrow is pointing or maybe even higher up.
Was thinking same. May end up seeking out a welder to replace that lower edge, I suspect that Cat can supply a replacement weldment$$$$
Agreed. It might need a new lip before anything else could be considered. Again a Part Number from the bucket would identify everything else including the lip. Once the OP has some Cat Part Numbers to work with it makes searching for aftermarket replacements much easier.
Thank you. I have a picture of that stamp kind of hard to make out. I might have to try and clean it up to get a better look at it.
That looks a bit like a casting number. Can you take a photo of the same area from further away to provide a bit of context.?
I don’t think it has another tag on it anywhere but I’ll double check and try to get more info in the morning when I go over to the farm. Thank you!
Actually looking at it again it could be that the top line is a Part Number. From the photo it looks like 9C-0253 if you could confirm that. Then I need to get online to track it down. If you could post a photo from further away showing the location where that plate is mounted on the bucket that would also help.
How wide is that bucket overall.? There are two options - 87" or 93.5". I checked and 9C-0253 is a hinge. The bucket Part Number plate is #11 on the illustration below. Even if the plate has gone the number should still be stamped in the same location underneath where the plate would have been. Tip: Look for the remains of the 4 rivets that would have held the plate in position.
Thank you Nige, my bucket is 93.5 And I found that stamp.
Here is the Parts list for the bucket. The replacement Edge #28 for the front end of the bucket is a 5V-4670, but there is a caveat - IF you want one with the additional holes between the tooth adapter mountings for the installation of segments (identical to your current bucket) then the required Part Number is a 9V-6572. This is quite a common Part Number because it's used on a lot of one-piece wheel loader buckets. The 9V-6572 Edge shown in the blue illustration has the following dimensions if you want to look for an aftermarket replacement. Length 93.3", width 9.6", & thickness 1.0". It has 1.1" diameter holes to take 1" bolts. As @DMiller alluded to above, if you ask Cat for a price make sure that you are sitting down first. My bet is somewhere around $1800.
That is great info thank you!
If it's just a farm/occasional use machine and not a high production machine you could bolt the edges on and either tack the nuts on so they can't come loose or just weld the edges on. The edges will last a long time. You could weld some hard facing on the edges for even longer life too.
Thanks WD, I was giving that a thought as well since the lip of that bucket is already jacked up. It is a farm machine and will probably get about 200 hours or less a year put on it. I got the segments yesterday and will hopefully get time to see how they fit this weekend.
If the edge is flat the bolts might stay tight but if you welded the edges and/or tacked the nuts the bucket will probably outlast the rest of the machine.