Hi what is the total weight and different component weights of a Madill 009 on tracks? What is the easiest way to move it?thx
Best I can do. How and where do you want to move it. On or off highway. How far. Any scales on the way. Lot's of things to consider. Do you have or have access to a crane or other lifting equipment. Regards.d.d.
Thank you.Want to able to move it as easy as possible and legally.Thought it was heavier than that.thx again.Just looking at purchasing.Thought possibly to separate it from tank and make it moveable in 2 loads mounted to an old excavator.
Glad to be of some help. d.d.
Any extra info on line pull and speed as well as manuals. would be appreciated.Looks like you been around madill machines for some time. Thx
#30 years in the plant. Fabrication, assembly, final assembly, field service including deliveries. Finished up doing plant maintenance. Been retired 22 years so memories aren't as sharp as they were. I do have a manual and there is more info on the sales brochure that I got the weights off. Bare with me and I will get stuff copied and post it. Regard d.d.
A few more to come. d.d.
Hope there is something useful here.d.d.
Last one for now. d.d.
Thanks again for your effort.Nice to see someone that is proud of their work and history of it.
Hard to imagine a better place to have spent my working life. Wont say I loved every day but by and large it was a great place to have spent my working life. We always felt appreciated and our ideas were listened to. d,d,
Thx again for your help.
Hi Do you what brand of torque converter used on the 009?
I don't remember anything but Twin disc ever being used d.d.
Thx again.Looks like they are still serviceable.
Hi DD.How is the winch unit connected to the tank drive? How difficult is to separated winches and tank carriage.Also how much work is it to detach the rear A frame with guyline winches? Obviously I am not familiar with these units.I know you are.Thx again.
Good morning. As built in the plant both were bolted down. 1" bolts for the A frame and I think 1 1/8 for the winch, Have to drop the down drive chain and some fuel, water. and hydraulic hoses. Life the spar, drop the tailgate off and probably the cab depending on what you plan to do. 2 chokers on the haulback drum to lift the winch and a a short strap and shackle for the A frame. I guess you will probably have to pull the lines off depending what you're doing with it. I never assembled or disassembled one with lines on. I may have forgotten some little thing because I mostly worked on track machines but I know they were all bolted down from the plant, Never know what's been done during it' lifetime tho. Good luck. d.d.
Thanks again.Trying to figure an easy way to move and use the winch unit.
Not sure what you mean by 'move and use' the winch unit Regards d.d.
Want to devise a way to mount it on an old older hydraulic excavator so it is movable in 2 pieces and will be easier to move around on site.For peat bogs and cleaning out ponds a dragline cant reach.Seen one modified to an old 98 Link Belt and the tank was used as a dead head.Old stuff will still do a job without breaking the bank.Those old yarders arent around here much in Ontario.I know there are lots out there being scrapped but too hard to move east financially..Thx
The tank is just hooked by a chain to tank unit then?
Assuming you have a track unit? You want to take the yarder (winch) off the undercarriage and mount it on an excavator? All you want to do is remove the yarder from the track undercarriage not the rest of the parts (A frame etc)? You are going to use the yarder and the old undercarriage as separate components? Last question about tank hooked to tank I assume you mean winch hooked to tank. On a track machine the winch was bolted to H beams which are welded to the undercarriage. There was a drive chain (5 strand?) between the PTO shaft and the angle drive box. I don't recall anything else except some hoses between the winch and the carrier. Should only be the bolts to remove and lift it off. Of course you have to remember loggers owned this machine so Lord knows what they might have done to it. (welding maybe?) Hope I am being some help. I enjoy keeping my mind active trying to remember all this old stuff. Keep us posted on how the project progresses . Pics? Regards. d.d.
Thx .It is a track unit.The unit is a far drive away to look at it and I havent really looked at another.That would be good to leave the winch on the beams so it could be separate to split when moving.Fuel tank is easy to deal with.Even off the excavator tank.Too bad I am not looking at it directly.Should be doable or a least fun thinking about. No other way to reach these big or deep spans.I see the Washington Cable Systems unit which are beautifully done but not easily moved and very expensive.
It has the big Cat in it.Supposed to be recently rebuilt.I hear they are a fuel hog but torque monsters.Will see if it goes that far.It is currently set up gravel yarding but hasnt runs for a few years.Guess none of the younger guys will sit on those old machines.Waiting for what they want for it.
An old track 071 is an easier shift. There are examples of 071 tank to excavator undercarriage upgrades even in recent years. AP Plant and Machinery Facebook (Gisborne, NZ) has a short vid on an 071 undercarriage upgrade. In smaller excavators Ryan Engineering, Roscommon, Ireland makes - super wide track excavators. Ultratrex, Johor, Malaysia makes floating amphibious excavators. Pierce Pacific Manufacturing, Portland Oregon - has made a variety of long reach, barge & other custom excavators.
Thx for your input.Have seen such units.
There is a 'GT3 yarder' listed. Might be less set up time for anchors/ tiebacks. Not sure on the cross border engine regs. Are the 20 plus year old WRX's etc Japanese domestic market (JDM)right hand steer still being shipped to Canada? Alpine yarder Canada, excavator mounted- hydraulic interlock. (Might be ok for vegetation removal before a heavier machine is used for gravel extraction) Rather than the ancient skidder yarders some other base could be used. Owren 450 tower mounted on 8x8 JD forwarder (Norway?) There could be an articulated dump truck base mounted version too) Wetland(USA) ( or as shown Remu floating excavators Finland) I wonder if something like a Sennebogen 6100 -( gravel extraction, digging a big pond in germany.) could be a modern base to work from (though gold & gravel might need to be the products sought)
Hi Have seen swing yarders used in the midwest USA.Thank you for your input.
Hi Still working on this unit.Winter has finally left us so going soon to have a look at it soon.Hope all is well.Might have to lean on your advice more.Thx
Sorry to jump in on your post.I breifly veiwed , what I believe to be a tracked madill 009.it has a 12V71 in it with a twin disc on the engine.my question is what drive system to the tracks does it use ?is there a gearbox/transmission in the driveline ?they also have a 8x wheeler one there .basically im looking to find enough parts to use thec12V71 in my pull tractor .and if the hauler has a useable transmission also .I will grab it
Currently have a 69 009 Madill in the shop, it had a 12v71 Detroit in there. We are swapping it out with a 3406b Cat. Took it out of a old Volvo truck. Some guys like the noise of those 2 stroke diesels but after 3 years of 12 hour days of hearing that, my Brain is ringing. Also adding a heat exchanger for the torque converter. It had just 2 rads where the diesel would cool and often would get quite warm, so we are adding a heat exchanger inbetween to help refuse the heat.
Where are you located? We just pulled a 12v71 out of our machine. Would be willing to sell
New Zealand
We are in Canada.
I havnt been able to find much on google about the drive train ?I seen a vauge picture of a x8 wheeler that had a conventional type gearbox to a diff.what to the track machines have ?
We have 2 009's on wheels. I have never seen track machines. This is the one that had the 12v71 engine in it, with the duel mufflers.
Thats the only poor picture I got.so what drive line do the x8 wheelers use ?
You use it 009 for forestry? We use it to mine gravel.
Check out this video
Yea I watched that .took a bit to screen shot it .looks like just a manual box ?the twin disc from top must drive down to it ?can I assume a track machine is the same ?ive been offered the engine for $1000.and thought I mite grab it for my tractor.it would be good it that bottom.driveline gearbox goes onto the 12v
Yes it has 5 gears, but because it has a torque converter, all I do it just pop it into 5th and start driving. Your hydraulic pump in on the gear box for your guild lines and skyline. There is a chain on the PTO clutch and that drives your gear box which your transmission and hydraulic pump are fastened too.
Would there be a clutch in here ?or just a excavator type drive disc ?or another torque convertor ?
This is the gear box from the right side but of you were to look at the left side, there is a sprocket on there with a chain that is fastened to the main shaft from the torque converter, there is one one twin disc torque converter that powers it all.
The clutch is on the power output shaft itself.
Thanks for that.I doubt my tractor gearbox will handle the 12v power .so if that geabox comes with my purchase and I can get it onto the 12v .im a little closer to making it move without opening my wallet to much
What is the big tank out in front of the carrier cab for? Water cooled breaks on the yarder? Why, Yarding in the desert? d.d.
Unsure about the tank .I can ask when I go back .Forestry use in NZ .Surplus equipment on death row