I manage a fleet of forestry equipment. All swing drives on our harvesters and all gear boxes on our forwarders are equipped with magnets on the drain plugs. However none of the track drive gear boxes on our harvesters or excavators are equipped with magnetic plugs. Does anybody know why that is that they're not found commonly on final drives? I find the magnetic drain plugs immensely useful for monitoring wear wherever they're installed. I've wanted to add them to our final drives but have never found a source for low profile M22x1.5 internal hex magnetic plugs, has anybody found these?
Iv always wondered why manufacturers don't put magnetic plugs in everything. Guess they can make more money later down the road on replacement parts? My suggestion is at least add a strong magnet to the bottom of the oil pan so you can trap some of the contamination. Iv done this for years on the farm and have been way surprised years later when I have to drop an oil pan and see how crazy much has accumulated.
I make my own. Get neo magnets from eBay and insert them in a drilled hole in the plug. Peen over slightly if you wish.
Have you looked into magnetizing the plugs you already have? I am not sure if that is plausible, but that is the first stupid idea that came to mind I am not sure if you could get it to magnetize and retain it’s magnetism when installed in a larger metallic casing with moving fluids on one side. You might could also take a cheap ceramic magnet and epoxy it to the plug....all crazy ideas....
I might give this a try, I'd have to be very sure they were secure! How does no one make these? Seems like such an obvious thing, especially for a fleet.
I got some on eBay as I had to replace some on my Case 580 planetarys recently. I think it is close but will need to check the size. Or check a 580 in your area. I also have epoxied magnets to drain plugs before. See the link below. Search eBay for others. They are pricey but so is not knowing! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmission-Planetary-Drain-Plug-for-Case-100557A1-580L-580L-Series-II/233442346153?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=225086&meid=389f3ca2520341fcb83e731d135afb2a&pid=100012&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=123792614778&itm=233442346153&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985
If you want some of the best and cheapest magnets you'll find, get used hard drive magnets. If they come with the backing, just twist the mounting plate with a pliers and a vice and they pop right off. I've stuck them to the outside of cartridge or canister filter elements, they won't move.
I'd really like an off the shelf solution that I would be able to apply fleet wide, we have 23 or so machines that could benefit from such an upgrade. I can certainly make something to test out, but I figured this would be a standard option for anyone with a large fleet and a maintenance program. There's an awesome article in Machinery Lubrication about magnetic plug monitoring in mining applications: https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/522/magnetic-plug-inspection-oil
See the link for a possible solution. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/ecs-magnetic-differential-oil-drain-plug/009314ecs01a/
How about a small serviceable filter on the case drain lines? They come in many micron sizes, with JIC connections. I'm getting ready to replace the lines on my Volvo excavator, and have some picked out just for this. I had the idea to do it, after replacing the case drain lines filters on my old Bobcat 773. They had caught some big chunks, so I know that there will be inevitable doom and gloom. But at least they junk didn't get circulated causing hell in every other component.
I'm commenting on the case drain filter just to avoid confusion. Case drains are on the motors and just route leakage oil from the motor back to the hydraulic tank. What I think Mr. Lang is talking about is magnetic plugs in the gear reductions to capture steel grindings and chips from internal wear. The gear reduction oils are usually separated from the hydraulic motor oils. I think the number of different kinds of plugs is the problem. Most older equipment use pipe thread plugs where newer equipment uses straight thread with o ring seals. Add in all the different sizes and thread pitches and it would be a bit troublesome for a third party to make them and make a profit. I agree that magnetic plugs should be a standard item.