Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Magnetic plumb level for dipper stick

John V · 2025-05-03 17:01

Howdy. Has anyone seen a magnetic, light up plumb for an excavator dipper stick? I have a spectra CR700 magnetic laser receiver on my mini x. It would be nice to have a light up plumb level to tell me when my dipper stick is exactly plumb up and down, for the times I need a perfect measurement. Thanks!

Replies12
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-05-04 02:32

    Do a search in the laser forum. I think Shimmy might have something like what you're looking for.

  2. #2John Shipp2025-05-04 04:26

    https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-zhvd4h/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/401/1389/Spectra_Precision_LR60__10203.1428419024.jpg?c=2 I think Shimmy uses this kind of thing

  3. #3John Shipp2025-05-04 04:32

    Post in thread 'Making it so the water can run' HeavyEquipmentForums Post#71

  4. #4treemuncher2025-05-04 10:17

    Apache Bullseye 5+ or similar with magnetic mount. It will show plumb from front-rear and side-side axises. I've had excellent luck with mine and you can wire remote displays to it

  5. #5Shimmy12025-05-04 23:28

    I was down this road about 10 years ago. I never did find anything but a good laser receiver to indicate plumb. I've been running the receivers on the bucket since then, haven't had any issues with them yet due to being banged around. A LR50 would be enough if you put it on the bucket. I never was satisfied with the LR60 using the angle compensation feature.

  6. #6suladas2025-05-05 12:22

    I use a LR60 and find it to be great. I rented it a few times beforehand to get a feel if it was worth it, I rented the LR50 once and HATED it. It doesn't have a plumb indicator and it is so hard to see if the stick is plumb and if it's off at all it's not giving a correct reading. If it was on the bucket it would likely take care of that issue, but you would need to fab up a mount to get it up a few feet, or else have to take smaller buckets to not damage it both seem like a hassle. I like it being mounted up on the stick out of harms way.

  7. #7Columbo2025-05-05 18:58

    Out of curiosity, where did you rent it from? Feel free to PM me if you’d rather. I’m trying to convince my brother to buy one and a rental might help lol

  8. #8Welder Dave2025-05-05 19:39

    I'd guess from the Spectra Precision dealer here that also sells them. I'm in the same city and was looking into them as well. They will sell older rental units as well when they have them.

  9. #9John V2025-05-06 21:06

    Yall too rich for my blood! haha. I bought one of these on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D6WZZ418?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title and some heavy magnets. We'll see how it does.

  10. #10Welder Dave2025-05-06 21:31

    I think would be hard to see and the bubble would jump around to much. I tried a digital magnetic torpedo level but you had to be completely stopped for a few seconds to get an actual reading.

  11. #11suladas2025-05-07 16:25

    Mountainview systems, it's a local dealer.

  12. #12Welder Dave2025-05-07 17:42

    That's who I was talking to. It's a bit tricky to get to.