Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EC 160C L Hydraulic power low

Bushwacker58024 ยท 2025-05-02 17:18

Hello group, I'm new here but have been in the heavy equipment business for 15 years. I'm having trouble with a 2007 Volvo EC 160C L excavator. The first thing I notice is the hydraulics will barely lift the machine tracks off the ground before stalling out. Second thing that is occurring is the left side track doesn't have as much pulling power as the right. I'm looking for a manual or information on how to check and adjust pressures on my machine. IF anyone can point me in the right direction Thanks in advance!

Replies4
  1. #1Mike L2025-05-04 15:38

    you may have better luck if the mods could move this to the excavator section. Generally I would start with the engine before diving into the hydraulics. How old are the air and fuel filters? Is the turbo good? Any boost leaks? Codes?

  2. #2Bushwacker580242025-05-05 12:46

    I will check those things you mentioned again but engine seems to be running fine, only loosing a couple hundred RPM under load. Where I notice the most trouble is the machine will barely raise itself off the ground using the bucket. No codes. In service mode the pump pressure is very close to the service allowable limit. I appreciate any input!

  3. #3funwithfuel2025-05-05 15:09

    Start by inspecting your case drain filters contents. Follow up with remove and inspect the in-tank return filter. It sounds like you have a sick pump regulator but, BUT we want to rule out any other issues if we can. How tight are your tracks? Do you have 11 inches or so of sag in the middle? Are your gearboxes full of oil? Any unusual noises or vibrations? You say in service, you're close to max limits. What is your standby pressure? What pressure does it show with the engine off? Have seen those pressure sensors cause all kinds of havoc. Good luck and let us know what you find.

  4. #4Ben Witter2025-05-05 17:03

    All good comments so far. I would want to know what your cycle times and pressures are for each function and direction. You will also need P1 and P2 current values when operating. This should be verified with an ammeter as well as reading off the display in service mode. Which side does travel seem to bother and is it slow or weak.