Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Magnum mulching head

southernman13 ยท 2012-03-18 18:32

Just got one recently, some of the teeth are broken and it has the double sided teeth. Ther Karen some that have both tweety on both sides and some that have one tooth on each side. Should i replace them all or is it ok to mix and match. Does it throw it out of balance? I just tried it out in the yard on a small scrub oak, it seemed to do ok, wasn't shaking bad at all. Also what hydraulic pressure should the gauge be reading when you power it up without a load on it. This one reads like 1000. Also I know there are steel on sided teeth available, I've heard these can be sharpened and seen to cut better. I had a guy in Ga do some work for me last year and he had gyro heads on his machines. He said he likes the steel teeth better because they canister be sharpened and give a better cut. Any advise would be appreciated.

Replies1
  1. #1AGGIE SURVEYOR2012-03-27 00:16

    You'll find the chipper style teeth cut far better, but never never let them touch soil. They will becom blunt like hammers in less than 10 hours. I run 15 eagle claw teeth in the center and hammers on each side. Sharpening is a pita, so don't plan on it. With chippers in the middle you can take down the larger trees without wasting too many teeth doing cleanup. A gyro or cimaf head is far far better than the magnum. The only positive to the magnum is low profile.