Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mahindra 4530 vs ‘Old Iron’ ** Workbull

danielm ยท 2011-01-16 10:01

My old faithful **-203 'Workbull' tractor/loader has finally layed down for the last time I believe. Something in the clutch has let loose. After 20+ years of ownership it's hard not to repair her but the old gal just needs too much... tires, brakes, pins/bushings... Although the rebuilt Perkins AD3-152 runs like new. Yesterday I looked at a Mahindra 4530 as a replacement. It's a 42 HP 4x4 5700lbs (plus weight of loader) Indian made machine that falls within my $22K budget. I'm curious as to how it will compare to the odl Workbull. Loader bucket is smaller and lghter but the tractor is heavier and is 4wd. I will use it to move hay and dirt around and help with clearing at the ranch. Anyone here familiar with the 4530? I may talk to the dealer tomorrow and see if I can rent it and see how it performs before I make the purchase. Kinda hard to buy a machine without test driving it.

Replies15
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2011-01-16 13:41

    For your 22K budget, I would think you could get a good deal on a used full sized machine, Case, JD, etc. Check the auctions, as there are many from the rental fleets in the 6 to 10 year old range with reasonable hours selling for 20K or so.

  2. #2frogfarmer2011-01-16 15:41

    Being newer with all the refinement in technology that machine will likely out work the old girl pretty well. Here is my problem with the relatively young equipment companies; will there be parts to fix it in 50 years. Your 203 is a 50 year old tractor that has served you well past its life cycle and parts are still easily available new or used. If I were looking to replace it I would look to the big three CNH, Deere, or Kubota and my personal choice would be from CNH.

  3. #3Taylortractornu2011-01-16 17:55

    Id fix the ** as a backup machine. Mahindra is an old company and made stuff for IH and Jeep. A tractor is good around a place with a 3 point and pto. But its hard to beat an industrial tractors loader.

  4. #4danielm2011-01-17 09:43

    I wish I could find a full size used machine around here that didn't need a lot of work. Everything I find is pretty loose and needs rubber. While looking for a used machine I find the older Mahindras holding their value pretty well. They are offering pretty good financing which I won't get with a used machine. I still have a IH2400 loader/BH that I will keep for a backup. Unfortunately it needs rubber at the moment. Heading out here shortly to go have another look at the 4530. May or may not pull the trigger today. Got a few questions for the dealer.

  5. #5danielm2011-01-17 21:13

    Well, I don't like the feel of the flimsey shift lever on the Mahindra. Man was it stiff to go into some gears. Tried both units on the lot and both felt as though something was bending when trying to go into second gear. Also, I noticed first gear low range was still way too high for me. Any precise work would require a riding the clutch or running at idle. Another thing I noted was both machines sounded different. One had a sharp crisp sounding engine and the other was much smoother. Made me question the build quality. I think I'll keep looking...

  6. #6danielm2011-01-18 20:27

    Found what looked to be a deal but I'm having a hard time believing this 345C only has 461 hours on it. http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6059721

  7. #7Deere John2011-01-19 06:21

    Either a new meter or 10,461, and the meter has rolled over. Are they promoting it as having only those hours?

  8. #8danielm2011-01-19 09:35

    Yep, They have a 445C and claims it has 500hrs that looks pretty rough too. Thats about the size machine I am looking for. Either a Ford 345 or 445 with a loader and pto. Another option is a '88 Case/IH 585 w/FEL. Going to try to take a look at it today.

  9. #9danielm2011-01-20 08:54

    Lots of junk...

  10. #10danielm2011-01-20 16:34

    Taking suggestions for what to be on the look for. I need something under 9K lbs with a loader and 3pt, PTO. A Ford 345, 445, 455, MF30E or an equivalant Case/IH im guessing is about the size I am looking for. Any suggestions? Models to avoid?

  11. #11Monte12552011-01-20 17:56

    Friend of mine bought a Belarus about five years ago, it fell apart on him and he traded it for a Zetor, that too fell apart after 18 months and he couldn't get parts in a decent time. Then he bought a Mahindra and after only a short while it too is acting goofy. My point here is that it is 22K new for a reason. Massey does make a light duty tractor as I am sure you well know, if you need to keep the price down then decide which options you can and cannot live without such as powershift vs synchro and off lease vs new etc etc. Also,right now the tractor companies are offering huge discounts on interest rates and very attractive financing, might be something to look into.

  12. #12danielm2014-01-08 21:24

    Well, the search continues. I have found a 700 hr JD 5105 FEL and box blade for $12.5K to check out this weekend.

  13. #13Delmer2014-01-08 21:42

    Do you still have the old 203? Did you ever check the flex plate?

  14. #14Scrub Puller2014-01-08 21:46

    Yair . . . For what its worth. With having to make a new purchase due to financing conditions our golf club replaced a 4cyl MF35 with a 4x4 Mahindra about three years ago . . . it could be a 4530. It's a nice tractor to drive, and exceptionally manoeuvrable . Low gear in the 4x3 tranny is plenty low and there would never be a question of riding clutch. We have somehow bent the loader arms but other than that and a leak on the return line to fuel tank its been trouble free. Incidentally a neighbour has a Deere about the same size and he too has given the loader arms a tweak. Cheers.

  15. #15danielm2014-01-09 17:06

    I had two guys fighting over the old 203 so I let her go. Kinda wishing I would have kept it now but, I was in no physical condition to split it after major colon surgery. The JD 5105 has spent a lot of its life sitting. I am a little concerned about internal parts rusting due to condensate build up. I've heard that is a common problem with that series. This one has already needed a new injection pump due to water in the fuel.