Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Maiden voyage today of the BIG/little combo

skyking1 ยท 2020-12-10 00:16

I have a 20 ton tilt with air brakes for the dump truck, and a 16K tilt with electric brakes for the 1 ton. It's a drag (pun intended) to haul the 8800 pound 35G mini and tools on the 20 ton, when I need a little bedding. The trailer is ~5K heavier, longer, more expensive by far per mile, and has no fixed porch. I set about to get my dump truck ready to haul the little trailer and got to use it today for the first time. I had a local hitch shop weld on a Class V receiver for me. I traced out the blue wire and installed the old brake controller out of my 1 ton. The 1 ton got the new Prodigy 2. It was just as nice as i imagined it would be. No waiting for air for the trailer. No air lines to hook up. Shorter. less overhang to sweep the lane next to you in a hard turn. Narrower at the back, good for the same reason. much lighter. Fixed deck for my tools.

Replies1
  1. #1CM19952020-12-18 19:21

    Nice! That setup is common in my area pulling mini's and CTL's.