I recently greased the slew gear .......I think that's what it's called, the gear that spins the whole housing, but on my first job after that I sank it in the mud up to the cab. Would it be important to grease this again in case water got in there? Also, can you grease this too often?
no such thing as over greasing. unless you're putting so much in it's falling on the ground Grease well and grease often! :drinkup
I have a Bobcat 331 and my service manual says this.... Swing Circle Ball Bearings, every 50 hours NOTE: Do not over-grease the swing circle or damage to the seals could result. Install 4 to 5 pumps of grease from grease gun into each of the 2 grease fittings. Rotate the upperstructure 90* and install 4 to 5 pumps of grease into each of the 2 grease fittings. And for the Swing Circle Pinion, every 50 hours Install 4 pumps of grease from grease gun into grease fitting. Rotate The upperstructure 180* and install 4 more pumps of grease into the grease fitting.
I'm sure others will be able to say so with even more authority, but what I've been taught agrees with Woody. The one thing you can grease too much is the slew ring, for the reason mentioned--it'll damage the seals.
You didn't mention what machine you have, but I would check underneath the machine. some have a cover that protects the area of the hyd rotary joint, other machines are open underneath leaving the bottom of the rotary joint exposed. I would check it out, even if you have to remove a cover, to make sure you haven't crammed any mud in there. :yup
On my JCB it is important NOT to over grease the slew. Every 200hrs only, to much grease ruins the seal. Seems I'm allways in mud, I just clean and check everything over.
There are two different grease points on the slew the bearing and the ring, you can damage the bearing by too much grease but the ring takes a lot of grease. I don't have the operators manual handy at the moment but the Kub KX41-3V is designed to take 30 pumps at each 90 degrees every 50 hours. Although I think it would be better to grease it while rotating the body to try and get a couple of pumps every 5 degrees.
After loosing a final drive due to milky oil, I strongly recommend checking the final drive oil every so often. I check mine every week, and change the oil everytime I change the engine oil.
The manual for the KX41-3S/V states 20-30 pumps of grease or 50 grams worth at each 90 degrees, whereas the pitch bearing is 5 pumps at each 90 degrees every 200 hours.
Yeah something like that but I think greasing the slew ring whilst rotating the body would achieve the same as 25 pumps at every 90 degrees. Sometimes after doing the 90 degree thing I find it drops dollops of grease on the ground, which means that grease is wasted. Also I was wondering what the difference between a KX41-3V and KX41-3S is? I think the ROPS on the S is a white/grey colour and the V is black.
Correct, I'm geting ready to go through mine for spring start up. I plan on a good scrubing and some new paint and all maintenance. I also agree with you about about more rotation, just seems like it would do a better job of equaling out grease.
The KX41-3S has two speed tracking The KX41-3V has an extending undercarriage - the tracks extend out to 1300mm wide, this also makes the machine heavier. Here in the UK the canopies/cabs are white whereas in the states they appear to be black. We also have a KX36-3 which sits below the KX41-3S.