Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Making blade pins?

Outasite ยท 2015-01-12 19:31

I'm rebuilding the front of my D3b. My question is looks like I will need most if not all new pins,in the angle,tilt,lift ect.Priceing them,they are around $40 each.They are 1.500 dia.Is there a grade of steel round stock that I can make them from.Some of the polished and ground stuff looks good,but I'm not sure what grade they would need to be to hold up.I took a file to the old ones they seem tuff,but not real hard.would like to buy a stick and make what I need.

Replies5
  1. #1D6c10K2015-01-12 20:14

    I think when I made a couple of pins for my bade I used a chunk of hyd. cylinder shaft out of the scrap pile.

  2. #2bvfdfire2015-01-12 21:02

    prolly wouldnt want to use any less than 4140, or chrome rod stock. do you intend to replace the spherical bearings also? thats where a lot of the slack in the d3b blade comes from

  3. #3lantraxco2015-01-12 21:56

    Acralloy or ETD, turned, ground, and polished. Just my $.02

  4. #4Outasite2015-01-13 08:50

    Yes,all bearings and pins.Blade ball and socket as well.Just got done with new sprockets rails,and rollers,and paint.

  5. #5Multiracer2015-01-13 09:57

    Let us see some pictures if you can .