Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Manitou 1840 strain gauge

carlosd14b ยท 2021-04-04 05:05

Hi all, does anyone have any dealings with Manitou in particular with strain gauge issues, mine started playing up and after several months of recalibrating eventually refuses to do so anymore, I have several error codes (DTC) under MC and MP1 and various readouts which look like voltages but not certain and don't know if they are relevant, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Replies13
  1. #1Midnightmoon2021-04-04 07:04

    If you talking about the weight gauge I have some info on that. Take a picture of the gauge. If it's the same as the ones I had trouble with it's the sensor getting rust under the contact point. Its supposed to be sealed but isn't. It's on the rear axle. Try removing cleaning surface and reinstalling. I have a write up on procedure. Just need to dig it up

  2. #2carlosd14b2021-04-04 14:10

    Hi, much appreciate any advice, I took them off and sure enough there's rust under, didn't realize they had to contact directly, will try clean them up as you suggest and report back. do I need to reseal them with something? Thanks for your help.

  3. #3Midnightmoon2021-04-04 14:48

    PM your email and I can send the info I have. Can you take a picture of the guage.

  4. #4Midnightmoon2021-04-04 15:28

    It's not that they need contact as the weight comes off the read end the axle tube bows and the sensor sees that change. The rust is putting tension on the sensor so it thinks its loaded

  5. #5carlosd14b2021-04-05 06:03

    Have pm'd you, hopefully? not sure what you mean about taking a picture of the gauge? is it different to the pics I posted?

  6. #6Midnightmoon2021-04-05 06:07

    Gauge in cab. I have info on kaman system basically same as others. Manitou used kaman and other types too

  7. #7carlosd14b2021-04-05 06:42

    Pic of instrument panel, gauge is on the right, series of colored led's.

  8. #8Midnightmoon2021-04-05 07:17

    Ill send you what I have I. An hour or so when I get to work. theres a video and instructions. It's a little different then the one you have but is relevant to any of these systems. video has a rebranded manitou in it. Basically clean all the sensor surfaces and where it mounts. Lock tight sensor to frame and use rtv around sensors. Instructions call for special locktight and sealer that's not important. Cleaning everything and reinstalling will show you if that's the problem. The ones Ive worked on are stand alone and only sound an alarm.

  9. #9carlosd14b2021-04-05 10:35

    Thank you so much for that info Midnightmoon, really appreciate it. I've just realised that the problem might be more to do with the stabilisers, when I try to calibrate the load sensor I can't get passed the first stage which is fully lowering the stabilisers, the display reads incomplete.... and for some reason I can now engage drive when stabs are down, it's only reading that they are down at the last millimeter, any ideas?

  10. #10Midnightmoon2021-04-05 11:55

    I'll see if I have a service manual but I would think you have a bad sensor at the stabilizer What's your serial number?

  11. #11carlosd14b2021-04-05 19:50

    934397

  12. #12Dennis Vester2023-01-05 04:02

    Could you send that for me also midtnigtmoon. Having trouble on a similar machine.?

  13. #13carlosd14b2024-01-16 10:24

    Hey Dennis, how did you get on?