Anyone here have any experience running a Manitowoc 2900T? My employer bought one a short time ago and an issue arose with it the other day. I was lifting a 54000 lb load when the boom suddenly ran wild. Applying the auxiliary boom brake held it while I swung the crane and put the load down. Our mechanic ( nor anyone else on site ) is really familiar with this unit. We run an American 5299, Linkbelt 98, 108, and 418, as well as various boom trucks and a Maeda juicer. Occasionally the 98's boom will act similar if it has been raining a lot and it hasn't been used for awhile, as the frictions get wet ( we keep one hand on the boom dog until we dry them out ), but that isn't the issue for the 2900T. Any 2900T operators have any advice ? Thanks, Rick
Hi Rick We used to have a2900.Were you at a low angle?I would have alook at the worm drive between the boom hoist drums after an incident like that .Ours was always fine,but we used to boom down with ahand on that brake lever all the time.We were told the worm gear is a weak point.Im on Vancouver Island to.Where do you work? Regards Dave
Dave, thanks for the reply. I was at a fairly steep angle, ~76 degrees. We will have to check that worm drive. Seems unnatural not having a boom dog! I work for a marine/bridge company in Cowichan Bay. Drop me a pm at [email protected] Look foreward to hearing from you. Rick
If I were you I would find the manual and check the length of the boom hoist brakes links. If I recall right you do not get back there and just tighten the band brake which is what a lot of people do. I had a 4000 b start to run on me. checked and the whole linkage and bands were way out of spec. Dont read the book just get back there and torque the **** out of the band break that will cure it!