Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Manitowoc 31000

BigIron25 · 2009-10-11 14:22

Has anybody out there heard or talked about or actually have seen a Manitowoc 31000 crawler? I know it was unvieled at the 2008 ConExpo but i havent heard much since then. I have also read that only two companies have currently purchased the crane, which are bulldog erectors out of south carolina and crane rental group out of florida...does anybody know the price of this beast? Also I have heard that Manitowoc will not even turn out the first crane until June of 2010 and the second in December 2010 the reason being "not to oversaturate the market". Im thinking that Manitowoc had to have built a prototype and tested it and displayed it and someone has to have seen a product brochure (although the Manitowoc website still hasnt posted thier online PDF format of thier brochure) If anyone has any pics or other information I would love to see it! thanks!!! :drinkup I have enclosed a picture of the 31000 although I think it might be computerized rendition of the actual crane. Picture courtesy of Crane Rental Corporation.

Replies236
  1. #1Midwestern4x42009-10-11 20:22

    Rumor has it stuff is in manitowoc for the crane. In looking up Mag they had a few pictures of the block for it. Qball and I were talking about taking a ride up there to cause some chaos..

  2. #2qball2009-10-11 22:04

    the whole crane minus boom was unveiled last month. huge.

  3. #3BigIron252009-10-11 22:49

    Oh man if I could go up to Manitowocs proving grounds... so they just have pieces sitting around the yard? And can you really just call up to Manitowoc and ask to be given a tour or whatever? Or do you guys know someone up there?

  4. #4qball2009-10-11 23:16

    i never went on a tour, but the factory yard is fairly open and i just drive in like i own the place. they have an awesome gift shop in downtown manitowoc to boot.

  5. #5BigIron252009-10-11 23:37

    I guess that would be one way to do it! Ill have to head up there and see what I can spy on.

  6. #6Midwestern4x42009-10-12 05:45

    When I was a kid I went on a tour with my dad there. Cool Place , Now I'm itchin to go back...

  7. #7heavylift2009-10-12 09:11

    nice....... but the fleet of trucks and trailers to transport.. I'll guess 100... I suppose you would want at least a couple of 5 year jobs lined up before your purchase...

  8. #8heavylift2009-10-12 09:18

    some photos here... and it says around 100 trucks http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1069544

  9. #9heavylift2009-10-12 09:22

    here ...... http://www.collectiblereviews.net/T...nitowoc/Manitowoc31000ConExpoPhotos/index.htm the photos are clickable

  10. #10heavylift2009-10-12 09:26

    and more..... the block is massive http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1069642

  11. #11BigIron252009-10-12 11:16

    Those photos are awesome. What a machine. I cant wait to see it all assembled. The block is just unbelievably huge. Looking at those photos is really getting me to think of some excuse to make it up to manitowoc haha. the boom sections really have some beef to them too, but i guess what would you expect out of a machine expected to pick over 2,500 us tons?

  12. #12BigIron252009-10-12 11:24

    Heres some pictures from another guy on the web, they are not my own but are pretty cool.

  13. #13BigIron252009-10-12 11:27

    A few more...

  14. #14heavylift2009-10-12 11:33

    quote from a thread in on of the links..... wow "The block weights over 100,000lbs it'll take 22 parts from 2inch thick wirerope" 2 -3 trucks maybe to haul the block... one would think it would breakdown

  15. #15BigIron252009-10-12 11:36

    Thank you to cranedude07 for those photos

  16. #16liebherr11602009-10-12 16:40

    50 ton .. Think 6 axle step deck ,,with a tandem tractor..and lift axle would haul it along ... but chances are some check plates can be removed to lighten it up .. It dosen have to weight that much to handle 12 part or so even 14 parts ..easily loose 10-20 ton ..respectivly ..or as per what the manual suggest ..

  17. #17heavylift2009-10-12 16:45

    i pulled some strings http://www.cranerental.com/Download...G_Downloads/MCG_MC/EN/10000_Product_Guide.pdf the google monster

  18. #18BigIron252009-10-12 17:44

    Thanks heavylift!!! That was exactly what I was looking for. :notworthy

  19. #19BigIron252009-10-12 17:47

    haha I like how it says "confidential" on every page...makes it look like you really did pull some strings!!

  20. #20heavylift2009-10-12 18:56

    44 counterweights @ 44,000 pounds = 1,936,000 pounds... ladders on the boom sections minimum rate.... i guess 2 hours is out of the question.. I would hate to see the total transport bill. Maybe the Murray guys could tell us what it would take to haul it .... there might be 1 regular trailer load.... but it looks like lots and lots special hauls

  21. #21Midwestern4x42009-10-12 18:59

    If you want good pictures check this out... http://cranedude07.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7090911

  22. #22heavylift2009-10-13 00:24

    http://www.manitowoccranes.com/Press/EN/NREN20080312a.asp The Model 31000 is designed to be transported in 85 truck loads. Other than the main boom, all components are designed to be less than 3.5 m (11.5 ft) for easy permitting and transport. Once on site, the Model 31000 can be erected with a Model 2250 as an assist crane, an (24 m) 80 ft aerial work platform and a telehandler. While there are many factors that affect the time it takes to assemble any crane, engineers are estimating that with 60 m (196 ft) of main boom and 60 m (196 ft) of luffing jib and excellent site conditions, the Model 31000 can be assembled in 12 days with minimal crew and equipment.

  23. #23Tanstaafl2009-10-13 19:58

    I think the stat that I find amazing are some of the numbers off that preliminary load chart. 398,000 lbs @ 320' radius is insane. This thing could sit on the goal line of a football field and put a D11 Cat through the uprights at the other end of the field with capacity to spare. Think about that for a second. That's mind boggling to me.

  24. #24Local_1392009-10-13 20:02

    When I went to Manitowoc's open house, the price for her was around $25-$30 million.... the crawlers are the heaviest part @ around 115,000 lbs or so......

  25. #25Local_1392009-10-13 20:10

    Enjoy......:usa

  26. #26BigIron252009-10-13 20:55

    Haha I was pretty surprised by the stats too but when you brought the football field and D11 into the picture... well that just put things in a whole different perspective. that is genuinely nsane.

  27. #27heavylift2009-10-14 02:25

    I'm curious if anyone has some photos of the cab interior... I've seen the photos of guys standing in and around.. I've searched but haven't seen any of the interior...

  28. #28BigIron252009-10-14 09:45

    I was wondering the same thing. It would be pretty cool to see the way that huge cab is set up. But then I got to thinking and that crane is a customers and seeing how the purchaser was actually there at the open house... I figure he had a big "MINE!" attitude. hahaha in other words I have a feeling the cab was off limits to the general public.

  29. #29JDOFMEMI2009-10-14 14:01

    The load chart is impressive enough, but the real kicker is that it is rated to travel at full chart load. Better make sure the compaction is top notch on that piece of ground.

  30. #30BigIron252009-10-14 14:22

    No joke, think of the PSIs for full capacity. There are four crawlers but still for a 2500 ton capacity not including the total wieght of the crane assembled... thats not much surface area for all that weight.

  31. #3195zIV2009-10-14 18:31

    109 PSI at maximum load moment.

  32. #32JDOFMEMI2009-10-14 18:49

    I see an advantage right there to the 4 crawler design. With 2 tracks, as load is added, it point loads the end of the track, creating higher ground pressure at the end and less in the center and the end away from the load. With the 4 crawlers, the load is applied at the center of each assembly, so the entire track assembly on the loaded corner spreads the load evenly along its length with no point loading. Still, 109 PSI is a lot. What is normal for a large 2 crawler crane?

  33. #33heavylift2009-10-14 19:00

    well I would bet that 18 year old bily joe jr. from joe blows 3 week crane school won't be at the controls. And it won't be rented bare..... I wonder if Manitowoc has a similator(SP) for this 31000,

  34. #34Local_1392009-10-14 19:20

    When they were giving all the +'s about the 31000 at the open house, they said it has about the same ground pressure as a 2250

  35. #35pwrstroke6john2009-10-16 19:15

    A short video on the 31000 from enr. http://construction.com/video/?fr_story=9803d0c4fbcf6958cc36dc1f0087eaa949a4b56c&rf=bm

  36. #36gr792009-10-31 17:33

    31000 7 minute animated assy No using a brush to repaint these someday YouTube - Manitowoc 31000

  37. #37Midwestern4x42009-11-02 05:10

    sexy

  38. #38BigIron252009-11-02 21:10

    In the video it claims the groundbearing pressure is 15,000 lbs per square foot...

  39. #39JDOFMEMI2009-11-03 02:15

    109 psi = 15,696 psf

  40. #40BigIron252009-11-03 20:23

    haha you are right, im a dumbass.

  41. #41Copenhagen2009-11-05 21:35

    How are very large cranes like this paid? Do they get an hourly rate, day rate or does the crane owner have to bid on the job? 25-30 million is a heck of an investment. Are there really enough jobs in the country to justify the risk? I'm scared to fork over 10k on a skid steer.

  42. #42heavylift2009-11-05 23:48

    12 day setup and probably the same for tear down.... the 80+ trucks and support crane, may take a day or two to set up 80 trucks @ 2 grand = $160,000 that's a guess... $76,000 labor My going out on a limb guestimate $250,000 + for set-up.... but I'm thinking it may be a bid item... I think it was designed for a long term job.... where it just sets and spins for 5 years.

  43. #43Midwestern4x42009-11-06 10:51

    Exactly. They Wouldn't purchase this crane unless they had 5+ years of work lined up for it already.

  44. #44liebherr11602009-11-06 17:18

    $250,000 In and out ...$500,000.. just to get it and have it taken away isnt unrealistic for a unit this size .. $2000-2500 per hour based on a minimum 8hr or what ever the schedule is on site every day she's there minus scheduled holiday's if she's not put to work ..for a 40 hr week ..that's another 80K-100k a week ..most sites that this unit would show up on would be scheduled 10-12 hrs a day ..and quite often 12&12 when she's there ..24hrs a day ..until she's done .. But now here's a kicker and it gets done allot ..If the site has room in the back 40 out of the way ..the crane will sit there until its need else where for a spell ...She's still gotten paid to get hauled away ..but why break it down and bring it back only to load it out a week or month later ...picking up what I'm putting down ...those situations can make a company money .... and as for moving the crane ..you really only need specialised haulage for the heavy ,dimensional stuff ...counter weights and boom are general loads ...you can get haulage companies to cut their own throats just due to the fact there's so many loads ..wouldn't be surprised to get a tractor/trailer on a short haul ..(less than 10 hours .,on duty/driving ) for under $700 ..long haul ,state to state or border crossing ..well quite frankly ... it wont come cheap..

  45. #45heavylift2009-11-06 17:49

    the main booms are 13'1" wide. 10'6" tall... I wouldn't be at all shocked to see 1 million as a basic rate..

  46. #46liebherr11602009-11-06 21:52

    If its gonna be there full dressed and there for 5 weeks ..yeah sure..too often though the job scope changes once she's there and little changes mean set backs and other issue's ..Its kinda why as an operator ..having a big crane on site ..is a good thing ...chaos = cash !!! ...It takes up space ..it gets priority ,everything gets scheduled around it ...Its fantastic to see how a orchestrated site starts to hit a string of dead notes and broken deadline's when a large unit shows up ... Why set a 1 mill base price ..knowing full well that its likely to make that much and more once its there set up ....Rarely does a job go by the numbers when large cranes are involved on large sites ..(500+ men).. the smaller jobs are just the opposite ..no overtime and its done well early of the dead line ..unless its a logistical issue with the lift ..

  47. #47Midwestern4x42009-11-07 02:26

    Your just about right on target on that there. Bigger the rig the more money I make as an operator . More likely because of logistic's issues.

  48. #48Lugghead2009-11-07 09:35

    liebherr1160..........your knowledge and experience are unparalleled on this site....... just out of curiosity.......how long you been pullin' levers??

  49. #49liebherr11602009-11-07 11:00

    16yrs..

  50. #50Impact2009-12-04 15:05

    Dang. Could set a lot of wood trusses before moving!

  51. #51MtwNative2010-01-18 11:16

    Hello to all. Your link piqued my interest and all of us here in the great City of Manitowoc are so very proud of our latest "31000 Baby". Been making a photo album of somewhat daily pics of the progress and needless to say, it's quite impressive. Unfortuneately, my new profile here does not allow me to post them.

  52. #52heavylift2010-01-18 12:03

    Well 2 more post then PICS PICS PICS HI

  53. #53MtwNative2010-01-18 13:53

    Good Afternoon Heavylift. So that's how many posts are required. Thanks for the info. I just came back from lunch at home and they currently have just the #90 boom up about ~250'... No vessel or luffing jib as yet. Todays weather is clear skies and no wind. The red trademark color looks beautiful against the blue sky.

  54. #54Teemo2010-01-18 15:00

    That is one of the most impressive pieces of machinery . I like the really big stuff!I dont have my license yet just passed written exam for NY. Id love to see that crane in person. Great thread! Tim

  55. #55godfather2010-01-19 17:24

    I have a new photo that was emailed to me of the machine totaly assembled but I have no idea how to post it.

  56. #56godfather2010-01-19 17:39

    Go to Google "Videos" Machine is awesome. I saw it in September at SCARA workshop.

  57. #57MtwNative2010-01-20 09:23

    Hi Godfather. Are you referring to the animated movie that shows how the 31000 is built on-site? If so, yes, I've seen that also. It's quite impressive. Very nice animation. I enjoyed the comparison between "Baby" (31000) and a Ford F-150. As soon as I gain credits here for posting, why, I'll take a moment to post some recent photos of Baby on the test pad here in Manty. Also, by coincidence, we had to wait for an over-sized semi transporting what appeared to be either an 18000 or a 31000 sheave bank leaving town this morning. Sounds like Baby is going for a trip out of town.

  58. #58Big Iron2010-01-20 15:11

    That crane is absolutly freaking amazing

  59. #59MtwNative2010-01-20 16:35

    Good Afternoon Big Iron. She certainly is quite a piece of art. I grew up two blocks from the "ShipYards", which is the original piece of land where the "Company" got its roots. They started by building submarines in WWII. We were an amazing City... I remember we had a machine shop on every corner. I call this photo "Baby is Thirsty". This was yesterday morning. Our weather has not been sunny, but foggy in the morning. Notice the relationship in size between the diesel tanker and "Baby". Good Day Everyone.

  60. #60BigIron252010-01-20 16:42

    more pictures please!!!!!:d

  61. #61BigIron252010-01-20 16:49

    Its nice to have someone from Manitowoc to keep us updated on the local gossip and growth of this beast! ) thank you mtwnative!!

  62. #62MtwNative2010-01-20 16:54

    You're very welcome Big Iron. I too, appreciate science in all its' form. EE from UW-Madison. Anyway, as I leave for the day, I present "Baby" in all her glory. Have a great evening everyone.

  63. #63MtwNative2010-01-21 12:40

    Hi Everyone. I certainly don't want to wear out my welcome, but I took some time to sort a bunch of photo images and found a sequence I like to call "Sister helping Baby thread the needle" I have four images, but out of respect to the forum and its' capacity, I'll post the first two for now. It was a foggy November morning as you can see, and it's been about a month since she has been out on the test pad. Good Day Everyone.

  64. #64liebherr11602010-01-21 14:07

    Your pictures are a kin to me coming home to find my wife wearing a different set of lingerie ...every night ...I wouldnt get tired of that or your pictures Keep'em coming ..

  65. #65JDOFMEMI2010-01-21 15:27

    Pretty tough to wear out your welcome here by posting pictures of awesome cranes like that. Keep it up. We don't get to see them everyday, so it is a treat.

  66. #66MtwNative2010-01-21 17:33

    I enjoyed the comparisons Liebherr1160... One of my other favorite things as well! And thanks for the hospitality JDOFMEMI, I'm always happy to cooperate and share. In any event, as this day closes, I leave you with the final two of four, in the series of "Sister helping baby thread the needle". When I first watched the installation of this robe... all the pairing of robe, it somewhat looked like a "bad hair day", but I would never wish that on the 31000! I did take a moment to snap a few more today. She was configured with the #90 boom up at about 80 degrees (230' AGL) testing small weights... I'm assuming they were in calibration mode.

  67. #67qball2010-01-21 18:11

    yeah, i know what you mean....

  68. #68liebherr11602010-01-21 20:24

    You like dressing in lingerie every evening to ..Eh?

  69. #69qball2010-01-21 20:26

    yeah, so, is it wrong???? :drinkup:drinkup:drinkup:drinkup

  70. #70liebherr11602010-01-21 20:29

    Hey if its red ..and has Manitowoc across yer butt ..Im good:drinkup

  71. #71qball2010-01-21 20:30

    mine sez northwest. orange and black.

  72. #72Turbo218352010-01-21 20:32

    Short boom on and big counterweight on that Northwest, must be rigged for heavy lifting.

  73. #73liebherr11602010-01-21 20:33

    Theres no "Man" in Northwest .. Northwest sounds like its for dude's who cant make up thier minds

  74. #74qball2010-01-21 20:35

    we seem to be getting off topic and i am running outta forums to get run off of.

  75. #75liebherr11602010-01-21 20:37

    If you wanna dress up in Manitowoc lingerie ..and it just so happens this is a Manitowoc thread ..I dont see the issue ...there's a thing like gay rights ..yer entitled ..fight man ...grow some and fight ..

  76. #76daugherty1022010-01-21 22:12

    does anyone know if it's been moved to a job yet or just in testing?

  77. #77godfather2010-01-22 06:37

    It will be under test for about a year.

  78. #78classictruckman2010-01-22 09:46

    HA! Thats what I was thinking

  79. #79MtwNative2010-01-22 09:58

    Hi All. It's still here in Manty as of today. Godfather is correct, it will be here for some time, but I have no firm date schedule currently in front of me.

  80. #80MtwNative2010-01-22 10:46

    Sorry Guys... I left you with photos, but no data. Without giving away trades, here is some misc data that is applicable to the four photos above. Rope = 50 mm Spooling Capacity = 4600 ft Line Speed = 456 fpm Line Pull = 110,000 lb

  81. #81Lugghead2010-01-23 20:39

    Q........You can always start your own forum.........you could even have a link to your fan club..........You'd have to be wearing your Northwest lingerie, though :drinkup :drinkup

  82. #82MtwNative2010-01-26 15:35

    Hello All. As assembly continues, I sorted a few pics that I took in late Nov of 2009. I narrowed them down to 9 pics. I'll post them as soon as I can. The 9 pics show the 31000's assembly progressing along prior to counterweight attachment and then after the VPC is final completed. Here comes the first 3 of 9. Have a great day everyone.

  83. #83poclainshovel2010-01-26 18:03

    you can not post the rest !! Why !!

  84. #84heavylift2010-01-26 19:26

    It's the old saying" Always leave them wanting more"

  85. #85poclainshovel2010-01-26 22:49

    :spongebob:spongebob:spongebob sponge bob anyone !!

  86. #86MtwNative2010-01-27 09:14

    Hi poclainshovel and heavylift. Posting? No particular reason, it's just that I break from my career and share a few pics, fill up my coffee cup and get back to work. I also take advantage of the 3 pic upload maximum, which is a good place to break and allow others' the bandwidth of the forum. Have a great day everyone. I'll post another three a bit later.

  87. #87MtwNative2010-01-27 09:19

    Hi Everyone. Before I refill my coffee, why, I'll post pics 4,5,6 of 9 in the series of VPC installation.

  88. #88Cat 328d lcr2010-01-28 12:20

    Got any recent pics?

  89. #89MtwNative2010-01-28 15:37

    Hi Everyone. I'll post pic 7 & 8 here.

  90. #90MtwNative2010-01-28 15:39

    ... And the final two.

  91. #91Cat 328d lcr2010-01-28 22:59

    great pictures! please keep us updated! if possible please get a pic of the entire crane

  92. #92MtwNative2010-01-29 08:28

    Good Morning Cat 328d lcr. I do have a few of Baby with its' #90 boom up around 80 degrees, so I'll post those as soon as I can. The 31000 is however, still in prelim stages of calibration so she only has the first 200 feet (#90) of boom attached.

  93. #93MtwNative2010-01-29 14:20

    Driving through our great City and seeing Baby through the trees one morning before sunrise, picqued my interest. I had to take a picture and call it... "Peek-a-boo".

  94. #94MtwNative2010-01-29 14:22

    Baby stretches during her morning exercise. Have a great weekend everyone!

  95. #95CraneStuff2010-01-29 22:15

    MtwNative, I am an industry (crane) insider. I would like to inform you that you have some of the only pictures, and certainly the best, of the new Model 31000 on the net. For an individual who touts them self as a proud Manitowoc native, you are doing a disservice to Manitowoc Cranes. Your excitement for this crane is appreciated, but publishing regular photos of the progress of its development sure makes keeping tabs on it by Manitowoc's competitors elementary. I am not employed by Manitowoc, but must admit I am a stockholder. With American companies under increasing pressure from foreign competitors, most notably the Chinese, it disturbs me that one of my fellow Americans would sell out such a great company. I hope you see the error in your naivety.

  96. #96qball2010-01-30 01:21

    wow! kinda harsh from a new guy. i think the competitors allready know pretty much all they can about that rig. if it is that big of an issue, they should park it inside.:tong. busting the picture posters chops are only going to do two things here; offend the poster to the point where they won't post anymore, and make you public enemy #1 on this forum.so, take my constructive criticisim to heart, be nice or be quiet.

  97. #97liebherr11602010-01-30 07:50

    qball the guy is only getting hurt over losing a few bucks in his share's ..spending to much time watching the stocks and not enjoying life .. I have a new looking up Magazine from Manitowoc ..the 31000 is plastered over the front and lots of picture's of key components in Manitowoc's own magazine .. CraneStuff for such an insider you haven't got a grip on the press that Manitowoc has released .. and More over ..as a shareholder ..you should reaming out Manitowoc not anyone on this forum for First ..releasing pictures of their new unit in their own literature Second ..Having an open house day where people could get within paces of the new unit ..Of which I also have picture's .. Third ..not building the thing inside .. Its Crane's man ....not national security ...MtwNative has every right to be proud ..

  98. #98heavylift2010-01-30 08:12

    chiner all ready has a mantitowoc factory ....an insider would have known this http://www.manitowoccranes.com/Press/EN/NREN20080430.asp and the OMG I found the spec for it online..... so if chiner was going to steal it... it's done been stolen long before this thread was even started MtwNative you can post pics til the cow come home... CraneStuff they had an OPEN HOUSE.... anyone could have taken pics of anything Except the INSIDE OF THE CAB evidently.... still haven't found them yet.. maybe they will be accidently included with my next happy meal toy complete with lead and cadium...

  99. #99liebherr11602010-01-30 09:40

    She's fly by wire .. has a pair of LCD touch screens, and LCD Closed Circut television's ...other than that she's a standard Manitowoc .. Manitowoc is learning that a new crane can be built using other aspects of the line-up just scaled bigger ..this keeps cost down .. Its nothing new ..Liebher and Demag ...have been doing it for the past 10 years or more ..case in point ..the counter weights ,base plates ,Tracks,Carbody ,and the general superstructure design ..they are all the same ...just bigger and beefy where needed ..

  100. #100classictruckman2010-01-30 10:48

    I know this doesn't have anything to do with the 31000, but is manitex still owned by manitowoc? I know for a couple of years they were painted red, with manitowoc on the boom.

  101. #101liebherr11602010-01-30 12:36

    Manitowoc did make a few boom trucks ..they stopped at the 42T and ceased production ..Everybody and there dog nowaday's seems they can build a boom truck ..the market is full of diffent brands ..Manitowoc just dropped the line .. As far as I know Manitex isnt affilated with Manitowoc http://www.manitexinternational.com/indexm.aspx

  102. #102classictruckman2010-01-30 12:58

    Our 22 ton manitex had Manitowoc's logo in the boom, it was a 99 model, I guess they decided to move away from the smaller cranes.

  103. #103liebherr11602010-01-30 14:22

    Our broker had a 42T Manitowoc ..98 or something ..Was actually a nice unit ..offset jib and free swing that you could check out ..But at the end of the day ..a 35 Grove would lay it to waste in production mode ..

  104. #104Exact Express2010-01-30 22:20

    I don't know what CraneStuff is talking about, You can hardly see that thing behind that snow bank!

  105. #105Cat 328d lcr2010-01-30 22:36

    Cool pics... Why do you call it "baby"?

  106. #106boomguy2010-01-30 22:36

    Manitowoc at one time owned both manitex and national, the way i understand from our dealer was they were forced to get rid of one and it was manitex. One thing about the 42 ton unlike a crane, is that it can (at least the old girl we have) haul a 20 ton well site unit at 110 kmh and unload it on site.

  107. #107heavylift2010-01-30 23:22

    Maybe because it's new.... He is watching it grow ... soon it will crawl... then it will start to play for awhile .... then go to school to learn all it's tricks.... then graduation day... and he will then shed tears, as it finally goes out on it own...

  108. #108cranetools2010-01-31 09:27

    I too am an industry insider or should I say a dedicated reader of crane activities worldwide. The pictures for the 31000 started to appear over a month ago! By reading a technical description of the specs. - if you know cranes you could have painted a picture of what this is going to look like. Besides this is NOT the largest crane in the world anyway (in terms of capacity)

  109. #109CraneStuff2010-01-31 13:51

    To set the record straight. The pictures primarily available on the web have been of the base crane; less VPC, Mast, Boom, etc... This includes the few photos prevously mentioned in the Jan 2010 issue of LookingUp. MtwNative has been providing otherwise unavailable updates. I am not surprised to see the support for MtwNative, because most of me wants to know what is going on over there in Manitowoc. However my points stand. I am impressed others have been able to piece together (paint) a picture of the crane in their head without the advantage of photos. You are more talented than I. I have been formulating visions in my head, but the clever Manitowoc Engineers continue to surprise and impress me in their creative problem solving. If this crane does what they say it will, it will be the most significant advancement in liftcranes since the M-250 ... bar none. Lastly, it is the third largest (capacity &/or load moment) production crane currently available; #1 Demag CC8800-1 Twin, #2 Liebherr LR13000, & #3 Manitowoc 31000. There are larger cranes; Demag CC12600 (out of production), Deep South TC3600, Lampson LTL2600, Mammoet PTC, ALE SK48 Twin just to name a few. The difference is that these are either out of production or specialty (for the most part) cranes developed and built by their respective owners (with a few exceptions) and are not widely available on the open market for purchase (not to say they wouldn't be for the right $). So my comments have been made, they are not inaccurate, but I do appreciate and understand the perspective from which others have posted. Sorry to create such a flurry of activity as I was only looking to make a point with MtwNative.

  110. #110heavylift2010-01-31 15:47

    LMAO crane stuff http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/5552/ march 2008 pics from almost 2 years ago..... and besides you are NOT going to build a crane from internet photos..... I have a pic of a b-2 bomber.... if i post it here you really think The Ruskies or Reds will build a bomber from my pic.... the only thing you can tell from the photos are : It's red.... OMG .... I revealed the color.... It's new owner Crane Rental.... and Phone Number. You can't even tell what kind of paint was used ...from a photograph Or what part is what .. is it steel , aluminum or what exotic metal are used where. If they were worried about photos..... then the crane wouldn't be outside.....DUH

  111. #111liebherr11602010-01-31 17:11

    further more ..I dont think you'll hear of Crane Rental Corporation turning down the free publicity ..and im sure Manitowoc would be more than happy to aid a client that just made a major purchase get the word out.... Especially in todays market where Mammoet is making gains and Sarens may be looking for market share .. The word is ..in essence ..there's a North American based alternative to your lifting needs in Crane Rental Corporation.. And hey ..from Crane Rental Corporation..site http://www.cranerental.com/Download...G_Downloads/MCG_MC/EN/10000_Product_Guide.pdf I got components ,assembly directions ,and peliminary load charts

  112. #112TSK4152010-01-31 22:14

    Went to see what the fuss was about, you could see this from space

  113. #113heavylift2010-01-31 23:37

    So what you are saying.... Maritians are building a 31000, but it's going to be green

  114. #114godfather2010-02-01 08:00

    Somewhere on the machine is a decal of an American flag with the caption "Made in the USA". Let's all keep that in mind.

  115. #115qball2010-02-01 12:34

    i really need to make the trip up there to see it. amazing! almost like a large mining shovel.

  116. #116Cat 328d lcr2010-02-01 14:53

    TSK415, That's what I'm talking about! Finally a good picture!

  117. #117TSK4152010-02-01 22:09

    one more

  118. #118heavylift2010-02-01 22:51

    Well your right Marsitowoc has one on Mars..... It appears to be at the same stage of construction.... What you are about to see are classified photos from Spirit Mars rover Sorry for the poor quality photo .... but there is alot of maritian dust on the lens But now I'm not sure who's copying who....:beatsme Did the USA send the rovers to Mars ... to get pics of a Maritian Crane for Manitowoc to copy

  119. #119cranedude072010-02-02 08:06

    glad you guys enjoy my pictures, cant wait to see this bad boy all set up, one awesome machine

  120. #120heavylift2010-02-02 13:31

    Do you have a video of the crane crawling... If so then it appears that Manitowoc..... Lets you onsite to film and photograph... am I correct...

  121. #121cranedude072010-02-02 14:48

    Yes I do, I have 2 videos of it. I don't know if they let you in there to get pics and videos or not. I got the videos and pictures at the open house they had in September. They told me I couldn't post the videos until the first of the year though.

  122. #122cranedude072010-02-02 16:26

    31000 videos heres the 2 videos i got YouTube - manitowoc 31000 YouTube - manitowoc 31000 taking her first steps

  123. #123heavylift2010-02-02 17:32

    Cool .... I had already seen the videos.....

  124. #124liebherr11602010-02-02 19:47

    LOL ..the operator's cab doubles as a conference hall :falldownlaugh

  125. #125cranedude072010-02-03 11:20

    some new pics http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh216/SteveDucatiPhotos/70135432-5ceb-4963-9cdf-36d56f1d902.jpg inside the cab http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh216/SteveDucatiPhotos/40f2ffb8-8bba-4d22-b63a-14b1e6edec9.jpg

  126. #126heavylift2010-02-03 12:44

    :notworthycranedude07.....:notworthy wow ...that's a living room...

  127. #127liebherr11602010-02-03 13:57

    Now I see it ..this crane isn't a new idea or new technology ..the principal is borrowed from the Kroll K10,000 It does the same thing with the counter weight in principal

  128. #128cranedude072010-02-03 15:08

    these 2 pics are not mine, they were posted on DHS forum today

  129. #129heavylift2010-02-03 15:41

    :notworthy:beatsme:notworthy Then THANKS to whoever took the photos​

  130. #130TSK4152010-02-10 22:16

    February issue of American Crane and Transport magazine has short article and (gasp!) :OMG PICTURES of 31000.

  131. #131cranedude072010-02-11 09:08

    yeah ive seen it and the new issue of Cranes and Access has a article of the 31000 with pics too

  132. #132Local_1392010-03-03 00:00

    How's the progress coming along? Any new pics?

  133. #133cranedude072010-03-03 00:17

    im also wondering about the prgress on the crane, any jibs or more main boom added?

  134. #134MtwNative2010-03-18 15:38

    Snow Melts in Manitowoc Hello To All. I hope everyone has had a wonderful Jan & Feb. I have finally had the chance to stop by here and say Hi to everyone. In answering the question on the status of "Baby"? These are from yesterday. During the day, she's waving her FAA obstruction flag on top. At night, she's flashing her FAA Red obstruction LED lamp... Looks pretty kewl at night from around the City. Have a great day everyone.

  135. #135cranedude072010-03-18 18:16

    great pics man, so is that the full amout of main boom, or can there be more sections, it doesnt look like all of it, cant wait to see more

  136. #136MtwNative2010-03-19 14:26

    Good afternoon cranedude07. No it's not. Have a great weekend.

  137. #137Buckethead2010-03-29 21:38

    Nice looking machine! Interesting undercarriage, looks like a similar bottom to a big stripping shovel.

  138. #138cranedude072010-04-26 23:32

    31000 test lift one of my friends on youtube, works at the factory and got this video clip of the 31000 doing about a 75% capacity lift YouTube - 31000 heavy lift

  139. #139cranedude072010-05-05 14:27

    another 31000 video in the testing yard YouTube - Manitowoc Cranes-Worlds Largest Lifting Capacity Crawler Crane -April 22 2010.MP4

  140. #140MtwNative2010-05-11 08:25

    Yes, She sure is Beautiful. Here are two pics from March

  141. #141MtwNative2010-05-11 08:29

    I thought I tagged both pics but I guess not. Here is the other one from March Have a great day everyone.

  142. #142cranedude072010-05-11 08:38

    Great pics as always, keep them coming

  143. #14395zIV2010-05-11 17:20

    After watching the video the lifting capacity that was quoted seemed strange so I checked the specs, The crane rental brochure says 2,535 tons, which comes out to 5,070,000 lbs. not the Fifty Million that is quoted.

  144. #144cranedude072010-05-12 00:43

    yeah, i dont know what made him think of that, i know hes not right

  145. #1453D_CG_MODELER2010-05-12 03:00

    my gosh what a B I G crane wow

  146. #146MtwNative2010-06-16 09:32

    Good Morning Everyone. Just came back from Japan. And, yes 3D_CG_Modeler, "Baby" is sure growing. Here are two pics from April. Have a great day everyone.

  147. #147MtwNative2010-06-16 09:35

    1 of 2 Sorry Guys. I'll have to see why I can't upload a file, but as of right now, I'm don't have time to investigate. Talk to everyone later.

  148. #148MtwNative2010-06-17 19:35

    Let's try this again.

  149. #149MtwNative2010-06-17 19:38

    And... We'll try this value...

  150. #150muzy2010-06-18 00:07

    WOW! And how many parts to that line. muzy

  151. #151ConstSite2010-09-15 10:18

    Manufacturing will continue on unit number 2, but there are quiet grumblings that Bulldog may not actually take delivery of their unit. Time will tell. But testing of unit number 1 is continuing along very well. She is currently having crawler work completed out on the 31000 test pad. Close! When I had the opportunity to sit in the fun seat, there were at least 7 others in the cab. The operators seat and controls "recline" to a perfect 20 degrees...then there was a small fridge, microwave, roomy closet... It could make a decent studio! Needless to say, a lot! Have a peek below. That block assembly weighs a tad over 86,000 pounds. All together the hook and block assembly weigh in at almost 118,500 pounds. Here are a couple of images of the gal from the end of last week. I can't wait for the luffer testing to begin! - Chris

  152. #152JDOFMEMI2010-09-16 00:56

    I count 36 parts, with provisions on the block for 8 more parts of line. Pretty impressive. That is going to take more than a few minutes just to rig the block.

  153. #153ConstSite2010-09-16 10:40

    You are correct. It's a very impressive piece. - Chris

  154. #154qball2010-09-18 22:13

    well, i went and saw it a few weeks ago. whadda friggin beast. looks like a large mining shovel. i hear it will be tested with the luffer on in november.

  155. #155cranedude072010-10-05 23:07

    yeah she is a sight to see, i cant wait to see pics of it with full main and luffer on, wish i lived close enough to drive up and see it

  156. #156ConstSite2010-10-21 21:11

    Hey MtwNative, what's she looking like lately? - Chris

  157. #157Midwestern4x42010-11-15 08:49

    Updates?

  158. #158ben94f1502010-11-21 11:12

    The second manitowoc 31000 is in the crane yard since fri. No name of the new owner on the side of it. Crane rentals is completely taken apart. Never tested with the jib on it

  159. #159BigIron252010-12-21 14:14

    Does anybody know who supplies the test operators for these new cranes? Are they operating engineers? Does manitowoc have thier own operators? Or do manitowocs engineers do the "test operating"?

  160. #160heavylift2010-12-21 17:33

    Just guessing I would think they have their own "Test Pilots"... But also the owners of the cranes may also have their operator(s) there also, getting to know the cranes

  161. #161BigIron252011-04-09 22:58

    Any pics of the luffing jib tests??? I know its a little early yet, since I heard jib testing was to begin the week after ConExpo...

  162. #162ben94f1502011-05-28 22:47

    Nothing yet. Have been watching for it. Just been lifting the yellow lift bar no weights on it

  163. #163ben94f1502011-05-28 22:51

    As for the operators of the crane believe they just go through the school their. Train in simulators

  164. #164classictruckman2011-05-29 13:44

    What do you think the hook speed would be with 44 parts of line?

  165. #165heavylift2011-05-29 15:57

    well I don't think you'll be swinging a concrete bucket... but you could move the concrete plant to the pour...

  166. #166rare ss2011-05-30 08:23

    I'm spinning out over the 5 semi's and two prime movers for our next crane we're buying which is only a 500 tonner, that thing is crazy

  167. #167gostr8r2011-06-21 13:07

    Can't wait to see this thing again! A forum newbie here but long time Crane Rental Corporation employee. I first saw it in person in October of '09, when the engine room and cab were in the shop getting some mods but lower and a few of the drums in place were out on the pad. It's was a cold wet day and I couldn't stay very long, but did get up in the cab, and looked around the crawler too, for the short time I was there while the snow eased up and the rain began to roll in. I have the great fortune to be full time operator for Crane Rental Corp and if all goes as planned I'll be going up there to make some of the test lifts in Luffer for a few weeks, and then comeback in August for 31,000 specific training classes. Anything can happen between now and then but I hope it doesn't. I'll share my enjoyment of being a part of this monster's out coming process. For those that would ask, no I don't know where the first job will be when we do take delivery, nor how much it'll rent for, or if I'll be in the seat when it does go out. These things aren't important now anyway nor do I share company info that is meant to be keep private.

  168. #168gostr8r2011-06-21 13:59

    5.5 million pounds was the test lift made and it was a successful lift using an amazing amount of c/wts that they had at the factory and an very impressive array of spreader bars to make it all possible. Yes, someone was waaaaaaay off at Fifty Million pounds if that's what they quoted. Who was that?

  169. #169gostr8r2011-06-21 14:18

    Yes your right, it basically does the same thing by extending as the need dictates, which changes the rearward/forward moment relationship to compensate in real time for stability. The obvious difference is that the 31,000 does it on a crawler platform based crane, instead of a rail mounted hammerhead tower crane. The challenge was for the crawler type to do it, and stay mobile, without the c/w needing to roll around like they do on the Maxers or the American Sky Horse attachments. If the rolling paths on these trailing c/w types jobs aren't nearly perfect, flat and VERY HARD, then the a smooth swing motion is more than a handful to control or even to overcome at all! Those cost a lot of time and ground prep that someone has to eat, so IMO Manitowoc really stepped up with this design to ease those requirements. It seems to me to be a much bigger and more practical type of moving counterweight [and maybe more complicated] that they already offered on their smaller models. American also had a little crawler that had an in and out retractable c/w many years ago but I haven't seen them in the field yet. I dig the big Krull 10,000 and would have loved to run it when it was in the US. Had a iron worker buddy of mine that rigged for it out west back in the day.

  170. #170gostr8r2011-06-21 14:30

    The 3rd largest might be correct, but the others with that kind off *** can't pick and carry those max loads in the same areas and same way the new 31,000 can. Even then tho it's still small, when compared to mega cranes mounted on ships. Those are up to, if not more than, 7,500 tons like on the Micoperi for revolving [a turntable or slewing ring mounted rig and this ship actually has TWO on board at 7,500 each] and over 8,700 tons for nonrevolving like the craneship Swan. Now those ARE BIG!!!!!

  171. #171gostr8r2011-06-22 08:07

    Here's a few shots of our 31,000. I took some of them, I got some off the net and the ones of the test lift itself were taken by their companies own photog. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y355/gostr8r/Our Manitowoc 31000 making a 5500000 pound lift/

  172. #172cranedude072011-07-23 22:17

    heading up there next weekend to see these big girls one last time before they ship out! crane rentals has full main boom with short vessel jib on right now and the other was just rigged up with full 684ft of boom and luffer! hoping they are still up when i get there

  173. #173gostr8r2011-07-24 13:04

    Impressive models cranedude! I like the little ringer and the Blue truck crane in Luffer! I think it looks like the luffing jib might need a set of mid point suspension pendants tho, so it won't buckle under load. The lib mast is in a fixed orientation to the luffing jib so mid points are a possibility. When I get some time I'll go thru your albums on the links. the top link didn't work tho.

  174. #174cranedude072011-07-24 14:01

    thanks! i repainted the blue and white crane myself, spent about a month on it. it does have midpoints on the jib, just hard to see in the video. yeah, i never updated that top link in so long, i think they just turned the account off. i have to take the link off. so when are you guys suppose to receive the 31000? heard its getting minor updates/changes. any idea what job its going to? heard the other one is getting leased out, not sure who, maybe ALL

  175. #175gostr8r2011-07-24 17:29

    Your welcome CD, I did miss the midpoints but glad it has 'em to protect that belly! I don't know where our 31000 will go on it's first project. Probably a secret anyhow. Glad the other one will be put to work too.

  176. #176cranedude072011-07-24 17:38

    heard a long time ago that a project called for 2 of these beasts at once, dont know if its true or not, but if it is, it might go with yours. so how is that bad boy! run smooth? man i wish i could just stand in that living room of a cab haha. they are suppose to test the other 31000 with full boom and full jib tuesday or wednsday i heard. maybe something wont work and they have to put the test off till the weekend so i can catch it! are you still training on it?

  177. #177gostr8r2011-07-24 17:55

    Question for you cranedude. On the 4100 Series 2, sitting up on top of the tower, how would the operator get thru the slewing ring and deck to get to the cab? I'm just saying.

  178. #178cranedude072011-07-24 17:56

    climb through center?

  179. #179gostr8r2011-07-24 18:02

    So there's a big hole in the deck that has room for him to get thru with his lunch box and cooler and coffee cup and camera too. I've run a bunch of them and they have little room there but maybe they made some mods to allow for it. The hoist drums are almost right over the center of the deck and the hyd swing and travel gears are all in there behind the drums too. Maybe without the crawler under it there's a lot more space!

  180. #180cranedude072011-08-02 17:26

    ok guys, listen up! I need 10 1/50 31000 sales! go to the link and order one, write my name as the person who referred you in the notes box during checkout. you get reward zone points when you buy new models, create an account, post links, pretty much anything http://www.diecastmodels.co/pr​oducts/Manitowoc-31000.html

  181. #181Garwood2011-08-08 18:32

    Hi there, Just signed up on the forum, So when, where is this girl going??? I heard that the other is getting shipped over seas??? And how is it that the "end users allow HOME MADE CRANES on there jobsites? You would think that they would have smartened up after the major crashes out there! If its not a Harley, Its not worth OWNING!

  182. #182ben94f1502011-08-08 18:39

    i have heard sometime in January. Have to build a barge to transport it to their first.

  183. #183Garwood2011-08-08 18:46

    I bet it would work great on a Barge due to the VPC balancing the crane, I bet it would work well on off shore rigs!

  184. #184ben94f1502011-08-08 19:12

    what i heard a barge is being made for it. Be pretty risky out in the ocean with the vpc though because of rough waters. Plus cant control it that well. Since it extends automatically by the load u are carrying. But sure it will be on a barge. Either complete wind towers setting up. Or oil platform rig work. Be a awesome sight to see.

  185. #185gostr8r2011-08-10 00:16

    Garwood, where are you in Orlando? I'm right here too. We must have met if your an operator in this town. And tell me about your Harley too. I'd like to know why you made the signature statement that you did. I've had a bunch of 'em over the years and ride as much as possible all year long still. Probably seen you on the road too. I will say this tho "There's nothing a Harley can do that my Star Raider 1900 can't do better, faster and longer!" I just go too far and too fast to ride a Harley, and I won't ever settle for for a lesser bike again. HD now makes the best bikes they have ever produced in over 100 years, but don't make one that I want or would own anymore. I would still ride with you tho, it's not what you ride it's that you ride that really matters. So even tho we are on opposite ends of the brand opinions we can have something in common. Hope to hear from you Garwood. Pm me to keep from hijacking this thread.

  186. #186gostr8r2011-08-14 21:06

    Finally made it up to the factory in Wisconsin!!!!!!!! I start 31,000 traing tomorrow and the 2 rigs look great out there in the bright sunny afternoon light. This is an operators dream and I'm living it! Don't wake me up!

  187. #187Lump 722011-08-18 22:26

    Hope that the 31000 is big enough to do some of the world heavy lift work .has it picked a 1000 ton yet

  188. #188Lump 722011-08-18 22:37

    No barge work for this thing leave that water work for those home made rigs!!!

  189. #189Lump 722011-08-18 22:42

    Who's going to run big red?

  190. #190www.cehome.com2011-08-19 02:00

    Very good!!!!

  191. #191Garwood2011-08-20 09:45

    WOW! I bet that is going to be a cool experience! I bet when the girl goes out on a two - three year job, Your going to relocate and be away from home for a long time!!! Congrats!

  192. #192Garwood2011-08-20 09:47

    Looks Like Gostr8r has a one way ticket right into the seat!!! I bet the swingers in that girl are cherry!

  193. #193Lump 722011-08-20 23:46

    When they find someone who can run it he better like to live in motels this crane will be all over I was told that in OCT the real operator was going to start training on the 31000 I think he was running a 1000 ton crawler in NY MUST BE A HOT SHOT

  194. #194Lump 722011-08-20 23:57

    Not so sure there is a lot of talk of a hot shot coming to town!!!

  195. #195Lump 722011-08-21 00:02

    I think they better find a younger operator!

  196. #196ben94f1502011-08-21 08:44

    70 percent of crane rentals work is in the orlando florida area. Their is a big demand in the USA for these cranes. For example look in South Carolinia Bigge has their two new 125D their. Total lift capacity of 7500 tons. But its a ringer type so it can't move and carry its load. Can have up to 790 boom on it. The 31000 dosnt need as much site prep time as a ring based crane. Anyone who can run a 31000 is a heck of a operator. With a price tag 30 million. Also a company wouldn't just train one operator on this crane. Its a beast of a crane.

  197. #197gostr8r2011-08-26 10:25

    Made it back last night from Manitowoc and here's a link to the pics I took while at the factory. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y355/gostr8r/Our Manitowoc 31000 making a 5500000 pound lift/ I must say it was much more impressive this time assembled than it was when I rode up there and saw it in '09. Both were being tested and reconfigured during the 2 weeks we were there and we got to get out there each day after class and crawl around on them to learn the different components and systems that it has built in to them. I only had a about 10 minutes in the seat, yesterday, to help lower the main jib strut for the rigging crew to put in another set luffing arrangement. As soon as I finger out how to upload the pics and vids from my new Droid Charge I will add those too. It took much better images than my digital camera did imo. It's too early to say but my coworker and classmate Mean Gene might have the first seat position, since he's been up there making test lifts before our training program that we just did. We plan on having 2 operators man the rig tho so maybe I can be #2. Four of us trained and we all passed with 100's across the board too. It was great to meet ben94f150 while up there and see his nice home, award winning Ford truck, all his models, his work site and meet his beautiful wife and their kitty Sassy.

  198. #198gostr8r2011-08-26 10:31

    Yes the swingers are the one thing that Gene kept raving about. He says there the best he's ever tried! Garwood where are you in Orlando? Let's ride brother! Maybe tomorrow or this Sunday.

  199. #199Big Iron2011-08-26 11:19

    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is about all i have to say.

  200. #200ben94f1502011-08-26 19:36

    Great pics and video Ray. Hope the diecast model is as sweet looking as the real one

  201. #201cranedude072011-08-26 23:40

    Ray, you are one lucky guy! id do anything to work with the 31! I just came back from visiting them end of july. had both of them down though, the VPC motor was broke or something on the other one, not yours. those are awesome pics! shots ive been waiting to see, up close and personal! need an oiler or anything for her? id kill to do it haha. this rig is just insane and AWESOME! keep those pics and videos coming!

  202. #202gostr8r2011-08-27 11:42

    31000 cranedude07, it is an extra special opportunity to be involved in this beast in anyway at all, plus be sent up there for the classes too. The Manitowoc Factory guys are all awesome!!!!! We most likely won't hire an oiler since we'll man the rig with 2 operators and a Manitowoc technician. Between the 3 of us we should be able to keep her in good shape, lubed and cleaned up nicely. Much of the rig is auto lubed anyhow, but some things will be done the old school way. I'm pretty excited to find out when and where it will make it's first project lift, but no news of that yet. Even if there was I couldn't post it until it was on the job and set up. Don't want to jinx the deal ya know. Loved your models and how well you have them set up!

  203. #203gostr8r2011-08-27 22:59

    I never really bragged too much about the design details of the rig, but since getting up close and personal with it each day I can say that Manitowoc has certainly done their homework on this bad boy. It now has a nice a/c unit, a slew of cabinets along the back wall, a small wall mounted folding seat behind the operator, AM/FM stereo with a CD player, shades all around, floor glass to see below the elevated cab, a lap top computer with all the manuals and info on the rig [schematics, tech stuff and such], several monitors that can be set with the operator's preferences to view the drums, the VPC, the engine room and the boom tip looking down along the load lines to the block, an automated engine compartment and cab fire suppressant system in addition to 8 on board fire extinguishers, triple power options [can be run off the diesel generators, hydraulic generators or even city power like a tower crane], a 600 gallon fuel tank with 2 big engines but it can run at 50% speed on one to get by in a pinch, 4 trunion mounted tracks, 8 big swing drives on the turntable ring gear, a fully adjustable powered 8 way seat with heat and massage, enough cabinet top space for a hotel type fridge, micro wave and/or an oven, several rigging winchs in the lower and upper too that serve many purposes on set up and tear downs, hydraulically pinning boom pins all the way out, a portable power unit with many functions, a multiple arrangement easy reeving load block that can be configured with 3 to as many as 22 sheaves, cable followers that will alert the operator when he has reached the last 3 wraps or the full drum over spooling limit, more catwalks, ladders and platforms that you can count, well engineered shipping drawings for all the blocking requirements with the very specific dimensions for each of the 75 to about 125 loads, an intercom system to speak to workers close to the rig, interior and exterior lighting all around the rig and at each of the 9 camera stations. I could go on all night about this monster and how well they did things to make it more operator, owner and customer friendly but it's late and I'm tired. There really is a lot more to it! G'night Johnboy.

  204. #204cranedude072011-08-29 19:16

    i wish i would have known you was going to be up there, i would have waited to take my trip up there and went when you got there and met up with ya, maybe get in close haha! this crane is a BEAST and just so interesting! i wish i could get up close and personal to it again fully setup, and walk all over it! would have been heaven to me haha! im just obsessed with this rig for some reason. hope its first job is close, id take a trip to go watch its first lift, probably wont be possible though if it goes to a plant of some kind. what is that sheave for thats on the front right roller assembly? ive been trying to think of what it could be for since the open house lol.

  205. #205gostr8r2011-08-29 22:55

    ben94f150 had nothing but good things to say about you so I know I would have felt the same way if we met. I hate to say it but the lifts themselves are not as impressive as the rig. Maybe the 1st will be something to really talk about tho. They go so real slowly and it's noisy with all the beepers and going off. The swingers, VPC and the crawlers all have 'very loud' indicators. About the mystery sheave, if you're talking about the single sheave that's under the drum number 5 [luffing hoist drum] it's actually for the drum 6 [rigging hoist drum] that is located out of sight down inside the machinery's rotating deck. It has a 3/4"s rope for pulling the big 2" load lines thru the blocks, bails, equalizers and point sheaves. It also is used as a safety and hold back when 'folding' and unfolding the main strut for the jib. Look closely at some of the pics where that strut is folding back and you'll see it attached to the middle of it [thru a snatch block] to keep the strut's center from getting away from them. The 2 in rope is attached at the top of that strut also to keep it under control as it folds over from the pinned position.

  206. #206cranedude072011-08-30 15:42

    bens a good guy, i met up with him and his girlfriend when i went, and saw his awesome collection! yeah i can imagine all those beepers and warning alarms going off, i know the 18000 has a warning beep when it turns, i would hate hearing that if i had to turn the crane all day haha. heres a pic i have that shows that sheave im talking about, its just where it sits and how its angled thats confusing me, i have drawn an arrow to it, its beside the lights

  207. #207gostr8r2011-08-30 15:54

    Yep, that's the guide, or deflector sheave for the drum 6 rigging winch, that's inside the deck under those big hoist drums. Look here at the big luffing hoist drum [#5] with it's 2" wire rope, and just under it is that sheave for the rigging winch [#6] that is hidden inside the deck behind #5.

  208. #208cranedude072011-08-30 16:04

    oh, ok. that thing has been bugging me ever since i seen it haha. do you have plans on getting a model of this rig? whens the next time you are heading back up there to train or test? i might take another trip. dont really want to go in winter, too cold up there lol

  209. #209gostr8r2011-08-30 16:21

    Don't know if the boss will send me back or not but would go without hesitation if he says to. Can't afford the $ of the model or I would order it. Wifey wouldn't understand that at all. I hope they will get one to use in the classes we just took to help with the clarification of some of the terms and to make things more recognizable during lectures. Things get a little foggy when they put out so much stuff in such a short time period.

  210. #210cranedude072011-08-30 16:44

    oh, well if you do, let me know, i might drive up and meet ya and hopefully you can get me inside haha. yeah the ,odel is expensive but will be well worth it! cant wait for mine to come! i think they might use one to help in the class, i think manitowoc is suppose to keep 150 of the 500 to themselves.

  211. #211ben94f1502011-08-30 18:32

    Their is talk of a third 31000. Production would first be 2013 because Manitowoc does not want to flood the market.

  212. #212cranedude072011-08-31 15:24

    also, whats those big long sticks that stick out from the side of the luffing mast or jib tip? they look like long survey measuring sticks, is it part of testing, or just a lightning rod?

  213. #213gostr8r2011-08-31 16:33

    They're extra long yard spicks so to speak. They have to do side load testing and the sticks give them a way to accurately measure how far out from plum the side loads pull the top of the rig over. With a load on the hook and in the air they use another crane to take it out sideways [thru an snatch block that's anchored out 90 degrees to the tip], from under the head section, until the input from the strain gauges tell them to stop and then they take the measurements. They can do it safely that way with out collapsing the boom. More strain gauges were on there than I could count.

  214. #214ben94f1502011-08-31 16:39

    Hows it going 31000 man.

  215. #215gostr8r2011-08-31 16:51

    Going well Ben. Tired and wet but alright. In this shot here you can see the loadline on the second crane pulling up on a very long choker thru a snatch block that's just out of frame on the lower left corner. It's anchored to a set of test weights on the ground that won't move, but the suspended load on the 31000 will move laterally towards the snatch block. Obviously that long choker runs down from the other crane, thru the snatch block, and then over close to the ground to the test load that's hanging on the 31000, hooked up to it by a shackle on it's test weights. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums... pound lift/?action=view&current=IMG_0436.jpg

  216. #216ben94f1502011-08-31 17:08

    Nice pics ray. You running a tower crane again. Enjoyed your visit. Sure know your cranes. Great stories to. On how you started running cranes. Looking forward to that cd.

  217. #217cranedude072011-08-31 18:35

    Oh, I thought it might have had something to do with sideloading. I saw all the strain gauges (i think) all over the crane, little black boxes with like 50 wires going in and out of it. So how come your (crane rental Corp) 31000 has new counterweights and the other has old maxer weights? Did they just run out of new weights or just use those until new ones are made?

  218. #218gostr8r2011-08-31 19:32

    Ben I wished I was back on a tower crane but many of our's are going out unmanned. I'll try to get that disc out this weekend too. Still catching up on 'honey do's'. I'm setting glass at a VA Hospital with a 60 Ton Link Belt starting Friday. Did some wire welding this afternoon tho. I know you could teach me a lot about that! cranedude our c/t's boxes are each half the weight of the other 31000's and casted, but the others aren't. Our's can be loaded out for shipping by smaller crane and separated on a truck bed for better weight distribution or versatility of the loads. It all adds up to the same weight but we have twice as many boxes as the other one does. So we have 4 stacks on each side and instead of just 2. I guess if a buyer wanted boxes like our's they could get 'em, because it's an option. You're very observant!

  219. #219cranedude072011-08-31 22:22

    Oh cool. Haha, you don't know how many times I've studied pics of this rig, trying to learn pretty much everything about this beast! Have you gotten the operators manuals, books of it yet? Bet they are pretty thick! I'd love to have a copy lol

  220. #220gostr8r2011-09-01 06:09

    We each got a set of preliminary training manuals that can't be published or distributed. Heavy enough I had to pay a hefty over weight fine at the airport too.

  221. #221cranedude072011-09-01 14:05

    wow! man id love to have a set of those manuals :wink2

  222. #222gostr8r2011-09-01 21:38

    Can't help there cranedude. I want to keep mine and continuously go over the notes and details to be ready when my time to fly comes. Maybe when the final version gets published they would sell you one, but it wouldn't be cheap.

  223. #223cranedude072011-09-01 23:11

    Yeah, I plan on buying one if I can. Hope you get time on it!

  224. #224ben94f1502011-09-02 06:48

    The 31000 one sweet machine. Must have been awesome get some seat time in it. I saw lomma 18000 on the rising. Wonder if my jacking pads were on their. Awesome how the 31000 dosnt have a maxer

  225. #225BigIron252012-03-27 17:24

    Gostr8r, they offer to fly you up to Wisconson to see the crane? You think you might get some seat time? Who puts the cranes together for your company? Operators, ironworkers, laborers?

  226. #226gostr8r2012-03-31 01:42

    Actually they did fly me up there twice. Once in '96, as a prize for the highest CCO test scores and again in '11 for training. The second time it was along with another operator, an erection foreman and our service manager. I rode my motorcycle up there in '82 and then again in October of '09. The classes last summer covered set up, tear down, maintanence and operational. Yes we will erect it on the projects. Each day the two 31000's were busy being load tested, and at times reconfigured, so I only got a short time in the seat of the one with a 680' luffer, as it was on the ground and they needed to lay over the luffing jib strut. The pics of the factory visit are on my photobucket link that I've posted already. I'm the wrinkled redheaded guy in the pics. I'll repost the link in case the older links don't connect. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y355/gostr8r/Crane Rental Corporations Manitowoc 31000/

  227. #227Donns2012-05-11 12:47

    gostr8r I haven't talked with you in a long time. I had hoped that we were going to get you and the 31000 on this job in Mississippi to keep your 18000 and the linkbelts from you guys company. Got a Blue Iron Transilift instead. I really don't like those things. Any machine that takes 3 operators to make a lift scares me. You should see the cranes here. Looks like a Ritchie Brothers Auction yard. 66 booms up at last count. So many holes poked in the sky I'm afraid we are going to let the air out. We are starting to get parts of our 85 yard Dragline in. That is my main function here so I can get busy after sitting around for 5 months.

  228. #228gostr8r2012-05-11 21:13

    That company got around the safety record requirements for bidding by not using Lampson directly as a hoisting contractor on a manned crane. They bare rented it and subbed it out to themselves. Lampson's record wasn't anywhere near as good as ours and I hear it was too poor to even bid the job at all. The winning bid was much lower too, but they will lose all that savings in ground prep for that darn tail swing crawler and handling those c'w chunks over and over again. The bean counters don't see the big picture they only see the bonus they might get at the end. I don't feel sorry for any of the guys that have to deal with the TL at all. 3n op's and a lot of trouble for a lesser monthly rate. Their loss in my opinion Donns.

  229. #2293DCGMODELER2012-10-09 14:01

    It would be great to see some more pictures of the Swing Motors.. Wow only dream of being next to one of those 31000, wow..

  230. #230Donns2012-10-10 07:19

    Morning gostr8r You were pretty much right on about the Blue Monster. They had to spend 2 weeks @ 24 hour days driving piling to get a roadway stable enough for it to walk on. Really a scary machine and I watch it from way back. Couls have definately used the 31000 in my personal opinion. I could have set up an American S-70 Derrick on a tower and done the job as well as the Blue Monster.

  231. #231gostr8r2012-10-13 21:18

    Donns, it’s good to hear from you. I knew they would regret not using our Manitowoc 310000. and not only that, they would regret not using us for the heavy hauling. They already dropped one of those heavy loads when it rolled off a Burkhalter transporter. Anyhow they still need a super level and very solid tail swing path, at each new set up location, for it’s rear crawler assembly which carries that massive 1000 to 2000 tons of counterweight. After they make a lift and cut it loose, sometimes it can’t swing, because it won’t come around without a substantial forward moment to lighten the rear crawler. That means bring in another big rig, and then start pulling chunks off until it will swing. More cranes, more hauling, more labor and unnecessary rigging, more time and more costs! Some bean counter for that outfit, which had no clue about how things work in the field, made that decision. I don’t feel sorry for them and hope they continue to regret it!

  232. #232Hoister2012-10-21 11:14

    Just looking through here and I'm curious. Where is #1? Still at the factory? Anything solid for a first job? Or has it already went to work?

  233. #233gostr8r2012-10-23 10:48

    As far as I know, no buyers and no contracts as of yet, but serious interests are there, from all over the world. Number 1, or the first to be ordered, is still there and waiting to be purchased. It has already been put thru some very intense proof testing, and had a great number of updates and changes made, as the result of feedback from those of us that attended training classes there on it, and has been put in the shop and given a new paint job too. It sits blocked and ready for shipping, for someone with a deep pockets who sees the potential that this amazing crane has! It’s fully mobile with 100% of any rated load and any configuration, but it still has some ringer advantages. Imagine having a job that was so heavy that it usually required a ring type crane, or one with a trailing counterweight, rolling or suspended [which are a time consuming and costly pain in the ass to deal with all the time] but it had to be mobil too. I think that’s why Manitowoc is now reportedly considering doing mods and offering the ‘floating and never touching’ VPC attachments for some of the other of it’s already impressive line up of bigger crawlers. I believe that our’s, which has had even more proof testing and all the updates too, will soon show the lift crane world it’s next heavy lift star, and then someone else will quickly step up and buy the second one.

  234. #234capt5462013-01-27 20:49

    I am a port captain in Houston and as a follow up we just loaded a 31000 aboard a ship bound for Korea on last week. All 150 truck loads. I understand that she is going out on a 4 year lease.

  235. #235gostr8r2013-01-29 10:35

    Thanks for that update info capt546! I knew it was headed out there and it’s great news is is finally on its way! Did all the loads actually make it on the one big ship?

  236. #236gostr8r2013-04-05 09:13

    The one in South Korea is making lifts now and they are impressed with the new red beast! I hope ours here gets some work stateside now that the rig has done some work on a job site and not just the factory test pad. http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/17189/