Here's one of our Manitowoc 4600 draglines working at night. These are the most popular draglines to work in anthracite mining in Pennsylvania. Standard bucket capacity on a 4600 is 7 yds. Here's a vid YouTube - Manitowoc 4600 Working at Night
Very nice video. I have been following you on youtube for awhile now and you entertain me alot. I have some questions if you have the time. When you say "everything mining..." does that also mean the Caterpillar 345BL? And also, when you say "the best mining channel on youtube" isn't that alittle bit to much self confidence? I mean its good but I think to much of yourself.
This is just another example of how interesting Anthracite Mining is! Great stuff I must say! See, all of us down here in the lower Illinois Basin aren't used to the draglines stripping the coal seam. Really cool!
Best digging machine ever built by anybody! Sold several during sales career at Manitowoc.
No because there's only two people who film from the anthracite mines in PA. Walt Bennett and I. And he only films draglines while I film "Everything" as my title says, everything that works in anthracite mining, you’ll see on my channel. I'm the only person who shows you some of the rarest equipment, half of which I'm the only one with videos of, so I just like to take pride in my work. My channel is my hobby. Thanks! You guys down south normally use electric shovels and loaders to take out the coal then?
Well then should it then say "the best ANTRACITE mining channel"? And you are not the only one who shows the rarest equipment. Yes, some of the stuff is rare but there are many other videos on youtube of rare equipment. Your not the ONLY one. Most of it anyway is rusted and half destoryed with trees and bursh all over it. I do not see any Link Belt draglines or a Acco dozer.
i have ran a few manitowocs, although never as a drag. they are the smoothest, in my humble opinion.
Again, it's my pleasure!!! I love the Anthracite videos and pics! Let me give you a picture to show you what they do (not much different than over in Western PA and Ohio). On the top is how they "USED" to do it if they had big contracts, lots of customers, and needed the coal yesterday. The big shovels, like this one (The Marion 5960) would dig overburden only. Today, they are just using draglines like the refurbished one on the bottom to uncover the coal. After they uncover it, small loading shovels or front end loaders will dig out the vein and load the haul trucks as the dragline moves down the pit. The shovels from "yesterday" would dig down to the vein and then walk over the top of it while all the loaders went in behind and removed the vein. As they both worked together like this, the pit would advance. The shovels, the big ones like this one pictured, were the way to go but operating cost were high and they could dig you out of a job pretty fast. LOL! The dragline on the bottom, a Page 752LR Digital Walking Dragline should start digging any day now. The shovel on the top here, which I got to get on because my dad worked on it, was scraped in 1989 unfortunately. It was the fourth largest in the world at the time too darn it! Keep up the great work on the videos!!!
Well as rude as poclainshovel may be (maybe he has a beef to pick with you or something)... i still think you have some great material, nice pics and videos!
Ahh, I just ignore comments like that. Thank you!
That is awesome! I always wanted to see one of those monsters, pity they scarped the Spade. They really should have preserved more of the super strippers. I was amazed when I visited the bituminous surface mines how different they mine the coal compared to how we mine it in the anthracite field. Thanks, and will do!!
Justin, it's my pleasure to share with you what I have! Thank you as well! As for the "Spade". There are two or three of these shovels that should be parked in a museum lot somewhere instead of being scraped. But, that's the business I suppose.
I think it is great that you take these videos to share with those who would otherwise never get to see the mining machines in action.
You obviously do not know what good is !! Have you seen Walter Bennet's videos !! That is good video !!
I agree that Walter Bennett has some fantastic videos! That goes without saying. But I believe the two folks we have here, Justin and Walter, have different ways to document these mines. I respect and appreciate both. And by no means does it make one better than the other. I just wish these guys would make it out of Eastern PA and down to my part of the world sometime!!! LOL!!!
Walter Bennett is much better at filimg these machines !! He does not only show 3-4 minutes !! And doesn't say one word !! Unlike this fellow we have who talks the enitre video !!
geeze, poclain, 11 posts and you are allready busting chops. great people skills, buddy. lets see your videos. we will wait patiently.
Waiting.
Personally, I think you should be happy we have any video out of any mine. The way OSHA and MSHA has cracked down on miners in the last few years, it's a wonder they still get breaks. Plus, I would be a bit more respectful unless you know Justin personally and you have a legitimate axe to grind with him. Otherwise, I would move on and not continue down this path. But, I'm like the poster above me. Where's your work at?
Those guys out there wont even buy paint rust spots on machines !! They no care who on there site !! I don't know him and never willl !! My work is in a trench !!
My videos are not good enough for youtube !! My camera is only 10 megapixels !! But atleast I do not waste peoples time and put it on anyways !!
well, i take all mine with an iphone, and i am the next speilberg. lets see yours. please!
I am better then to film with an iphone ! I will NEVER show my work on youtube !! There are hackers !! Identity theifs !! This world is a crazy place and I will never expose my self to it !! NEVER !!
Kind of sounds to me like this guy can't back up his statements. Put your money where your mouth is. P.S. You will never be as good as Qball.
I can not back up that my videos are no good !! qball is a legend, a god, he will be president !! All hail the great Q !! :usa
If your only here to ridicule and complain about other people's work, thats a terrible reason to be on the site. I'm sure you would do everyone a favor by acting more respectful and mature twoards others on the site or leaving.
really only 7 yards?
If you proclaim to all of us that yours are "not good enough", then the logical thing to do is stop insulting others and their work. This is very immature of you to be saying the things you are and "acting" the way you're acting.
A formal Warning When you guys have finished.... This thread can get back on track or it can get closed. I would also warn all present that trolling on this forum will get you an extended if not permanent holiday from HEF. Anybody found to have multiple logins or "alter ego" membership will be considered a deliberate attempt to mislead the membership and this will earn you an immediate and permanent suspension. That's a first and final warning on the matter
Ahh, the benefits of a well moderated forum. Thank you Squizzy. The juvenile delinquents can go run amok somewhere else. Back on track, the 4600 looks good all lit up at night. Keep them coming.
I'm certainly not a "juvenile delinquent" by any stretch of the imagination. So please don't resort to calling me, who just joined and honestly wants to continue to contribute on here, to name calling. Especially because I may be new or don't have a high post count. I have said it before and I will again that the video is great! I have always been fascinated by the Anthracite "style" of mining!
Lexy I do not see how you would think that my comment was directed at you. You contributed facts and pictures to a reasonable discussion, and I am sure I speak for many who welcome that kind of contribution. The bashing and name calling from some other posters is what I was talking about. I welcome new members and new viewpionts to share. Please continue
My apologies then and I appreciate your response. On the topic, I would love to see the larger equipment at night digging on video!!
If you guys haven't noticed yet, poclain joined a few days after I did in January. He's some guy who I blocked on youtube (and I think everyone can see why). ALL his negative replies are on my topics, so it's quite obvious he joined just to harass me. Ignore it. Now back to the topic. Yeah that was the largest bucket available for a 4600. Dragline boom (standard) is 140ft. What's real nice about these draglines is that their very versatile machines for working in anthracite mining. They're fast and productive. These draglines can out dig and outperform a Lima 2400 any day, and that's also why their so popular over here.
This is what's most interesting about the Anthracite Mines. These draglines have a real fascinating place in them! I completely respect that!!! I also find it really fascinating how they are utilized to uncover the seam and recover it from the pit.
Wow, those draglines are really massive. I must be honest and say that I have never really seen one in real life, only ever on the Discovery channel, and that machine is just AWESOME!! And i dig the whole 'working at night' thing. All you have are the lights on the boom, sorta makes the whole thing feel surreal.
Thanks! I figured the night scene would be a little different as a lot of people don't have the chance to see those draglines working at night. I have some other 4600 videos on my channel. Their amazing machines!
ointhead:spongebob:jerry shf
Yeah, it is really different seeing them working at night!
I ran several 4600's in dragline during the early and mid 70's and loved 'em. Since then I ran another 4600 Series 5 in lift and when I worked in the US Virgin Islands, it was sweet too. It even had a hyd' elevating cab that would go up and down as well as in and out.