Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

l1850 letourneau

BillyP · 2010-03-01 04:08

Some pictures we took at Spring Creek coal mine on a tour.

Replies29
  1. #1BillyP2010-03-01 04:18

    More pictures of the same mine

  2. #2alex942010-03-16 22:32

    wow! those are some BIG machines. absolutly wonderful pictures.

  3. #3zaryadnik2011-08-15 22:44

    u can give us more information about L-1850?

  4. #4zaryadnik2011-08-16 02:13

    I’ve got small trouble. Hi all. My management gave me an interesting task to calculate the profitability of loader LeTourneau L-1850, information in the russian part of the internet is completely absent, maybe, because the equipment is very rare. If your career used letourneau to help me on several issues: 1.please share economic information - it's operating costs to use it in an per hour, if that information you have, then attach to the volume of fuel prices, and all fluids, because prices in the countries may vary. 2.in conjunction with any dump you use it? 3.what characteristics during its operation you discovered? Thanks in advance.

  5. #5rare ss2011-08-16 08:35

    i cant give you any figures but there isnt much differance between the WA1200 Komatsu and L-1850 they claim theres fuel savings on the dash 2 LeTourneau models

  6. #6zaryadnik2011-08-16 22:52

    May be under certain conditions, you'd be right, but the parameters of our trucks, suggests to use the dump clearance L-1850 to full length, and L-1850 have more dump clearance than WA-1200 for five 1ft 5in and different capacity of the bucket 37yd in L- 1850 against 23,5 yb in WA 1200 cycle times will be longer. And yet motors in these loaders are different, hence the rules of service can vary.

  7. #7alco2011-08-17 00:26

    I'm going disagree with you there. The WA1200 would be more comparable to the L1350 than the L1850. There's a 15 cubic yard difference in the standard size rock bucket between the two, whereas there's only a 5 yard difference in the 1200 and 1350. The 1150 has a similar sized bucket capacity to the 1200, but things such as operating weight are way off, so I figured the 1350 was a closer match in general.

  8. #8DEERE310SG2011-08-17 12:44

    Awesome pic's. Kyle

  9. #9rare ss2011-08-19 09:13

    refering to life cycle costings their in the same ballpark for $/ton

  10. #10alco2011-08-19 21:40

    Ok, I was looking at it from a comparable specs point of view, not operating cost.

  11. #11surfer-joe2011-08-20 19:20

    It's hard enough to get LeTourneau parts and service in the states. I can't imagine using one of these beasts in Russia. All the LeTourneau electric loaders are highly technical and require very skilled mechanics and electricians to service and repair them. I know that the size and initial productivity is impressive, but were I you, I'd look for another solution. Perhaps a large front shovel, diesel powered, not electric.

  12. #12alco2011-08-20 19:40

    I have a feeling it's going to become much easier to get parts now that LeTourneau is owned by P&H (Joy Global).

  13. #13blitz1382012-05-03 00:16

    Hopefully i added it right, this is a 2350

  14. #14Ross2012-05-03 23:03

    L1850 = Load'a junk. The WA1200 is much nicer to work on and isn't far behind the LeT production wise. I know enough to stay well clear. Oh yeah, nice pictures. Looks like an interesting tour. Joe: Tell me where the Cab breakers are on a 1850 and I will send you an Ice-cream.

  15. #15alco2012-05-04 00:28

    Thanks for posting that Blitz, which mine is that one located at?

  16. #16blitz1382012-05-04 10:16

    Thats at Trapper in Colorado. Thats their old one, LaTourneau had replace it under warranty

  17. #17Nige2012-05-04 11:36

    I bet that's a story that's not gonna make the headlines any time soon ...........

  18. #18blitz1382012-05-04 12:55

    Without going into to many details, guess what happens when you mix a clay based grease, lithium, aluminum, and a calcium sulphate?

  19. #19Nige2012-05-04 14:18

    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice .............. were Le Tourneau actually maintaining it ..? There's a story behind the photo of this L1850 too ...........

  20. #20blitz1382012-05-04 14:21

    hahaha thats about the same thing that happened to the 2350 too bad I dont have a pic

  21. #21Nige2012-05-04 14:57

    The best part was that the crack was pointed out to the customer when it was just small. I was told it was visible from ground level, certainly close-up photos I saw after the failure showed a fatigue crack that had been growing for a long time. Because we had a MARC for the Big Yellow gear on the same job site that included 994s the comment was ridiculed by the customer and we were accused of trying to make trouble. A month later the hitch fell apart ........... Bazinga ..........!!

  22. #22rare ss2012-05-06 00:40

    we had a WA1200 do the same with the boom

  23. #23RayF2012-05-06 09:11

    I've not done a boring job on one of those for years but I remember looking at the artic set up and I think they had bolt on caps for the artic bearings. The idea being that you could replace a bearing without splitting the machine. Good in theory but I did wonder about the long term fatigue aspect.

  24. #24JDOFMEMI2012-05-06 14:43

    That is probably not bad, as long as it is monitered. Once the bolts start loosening or breaking, it is time to repair it. When you let it get out of hand, then you get one like post 20.

  25. #25Nige2012-05-06 16:36

    Jerry, that was not the hitch bearings or the pin, it was the actual frame itself that let go. A stress crack in the plate where the bearings mount.

  26. #26JDOFMEMI2012-05-06 17:11

    I see. Sounds like a weak design then. I am sure if it is already weak, a loose pin will not help it any.

  27. #27Nige2012-05-06 18:37

    I don't think it was the design. From the close-up photos of the break that I have in my "Black Museum" collection but don't want to post here, it was a bad weld on the front frame that caused a stress riser and a resulting high-cycle fatigue crack. Maybe sloppy pins/bearings had something to do with it but IIRC the loader was not very old at all, probably 5000 hours or less.

  28. #28Killbox Alpha2014-07-06 14:20

    Cool photos!

  29. #29fsmech2014-07-10 09:40

    The lincs system in letourneaus is very complicated, a lot of information, multiple can bus systems. Also the seating position is very low, very different feeling from say 1200's or 994's. What are everyone's opinion who have swung spanners on these? The good point is the 4000 series engines, no diffs, short articulation hoses that go through to a Christmas tree. . Bad points... In board facing brakes need changing through the hell holes, taper lock pin design, nearly impossible to get boom cylinders out safely without removing front tyre Hydraulic pumps a nightmare to change. For those interested the pump drive gear box in these monsters, use a idler gear shaft made by John Deere. Wonder what relationship letourneau and John Deere have? Above is only experience working on l1850's Dash one models. Is anyone aware of the changes made to the dash two series? All I new of is they went to brushless wheel motors