Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Manual pressure gauges left on Pumps….

7379df ยท 2014-08-17 21:41

I am installing a high pressure gauge on each pump to adjust them... just curious if anyone has left them on permanently ? I cant see what this would hurt as long as there not leaking. The machine is a hitachi ex 300.

Replies9
  1. #1FSERVICE2014-08-17 22:11

    they make "gage cocks" just shutoff valves for the gauge so it doesn't keep pressure on it all time & makes it easier to change the gauge when it becomes necessary

  2. #2lumberjack2014-08-17 22:27

    It wouldn't hurt, although you would likely want liquid filled to handle the vibrations better.

  3. #37379df2014-08-17 22:31

    Alright ..thanks guys. Found some on Grainger for 42.00ea. liquid filled. 0 - 5000 psi should cover me on pressure right ?

  4. #4clintm2014-08-17 22:45

    not with spikes I've had 10,000psi filter housings crack on the pressure side of the pump if you leave the gauges on they probley won't be accurate after a couple of hrs with all the vibrations and pressure spikes

  5. #5Deeretracks2014-08-17 22:49

    Take them off. They won't last very long with all the heat/vibration. There is no real benefit. If you want, just put quick coupler nipples on the pumps so you can easily connect/disconnect gauges if needed.

  6. #6lantraxco2014-08-18 00:21

    Yep, get some of the test port nipples with the screw on metal protective caps, only way to go.

  7. #77379df2014-08-18 07:39

    Sounds like i better leave them off. Ill probably just pull a vacuum on the tank and take them off and install the plugs. By the way do I need to re prime the pumps if I pull a vacuum to put the plugs back in ? I appreciate the help fella's !

  8. #8Deeretracks2014-08-18 11:30

    I've never bothered to pull a vacuum on a hyd tank when opening those small ports, should only lose a small amount of oil as long as you relieve the tank pressure.

  9. #97379df2014-08-18 12:17

    Got it ...Thanks Deeretracks