Looking for information about getting operation and service manuals for my 1974 D4D. Have looked at servicemanualpro.com and themanualstore.com and both have examples of manuals that list 83J1-2176. Since that is not the same serial number I'm not sure this would be the correct one for my D4D 83J2869. The picture included shows the heater/starter switch on the left and mine is on the right. This could just be a small difference between different model years. If anyone has any suggestions as to the best place to get manuals please provide location info.
Well here's one suggestion Cat! Go to this site: https://catpublications.com/ Enter 83J in the search box at the top and scroll down to where it says Continue as Guest or something like that and it should take you to a list of what is available, either paper, CD or download so you could have it in minutes! Just be sure to find one with the right S/N range for your machine! If you are more interested in changing oil and filters and that kind of stuff I'm thinking the one with the number SEBU5335 would be a good choice where the one I see with the SEBU5270 is more of a how to run book. That said for $27.00 each to down load would not go too wrong with both stored on you computer! Strange thing is they seem to jump right over you machine as far as a parts book goes! Maybe Nige can help with that as he seems to know some tricks on how to find things on that page!
That will only show O&M and Parts manuals Ken. For some reason catpublications does not seem to list Service Manuals.
While looking around found the wiring schematic for that one! Hard to believe something that "complicated" could actually work! Two fuses and one circuit breaker!
I understand they don't show service manuals but for the parts books I only see 83J1-2176 and then 83J3422-up. What happened to 83J2177-3421?
I went to catpublications.com and found the operations/maintenance manual for serial numbers 83J2177-UP. I hope this means my 83J2869 is included in this manual. I'll give it a shot anyway. Thanks to y'all for the assistance.
I'd say 99% chance that should be just fine! If there are any questions there are a few of us who have access to SIS and can double check if there is any doubt in the future. And just to prove you really own a D-4 how about posting a picture or two?
Okay, I'll take a couple shots and post them later. Am having issues with bevel gear oil leaking and trying to find out if a stop leak product like Lucas would be a good idea.
I think you’ll be batting a loser with that idea. Better to fix it properly but don’t let fear stop you having a go.
Cat D4D 83J2869 While not too familiar with dozers, for a quarry operation we had very few in this part of the country, a few questions I might ask that could apply to many different machines with leaks: 1. When did it start? 2. What were you doing with it? 3. How much is leaking? 4. Any new or strange noises? 5. How many hours on machine? 6. Past history of repairs? 7. The bad one, how bad do you need this to keep working? I know lots of questions! Seems I come up with more questions than ideas much of the time. But as I and everyone else here are not there to see, hear, smell, or work the machine the more information supplied the better the ideas you might get.
The serial number breaks were for engine change from D330c to 3304. 83J2869 appears to have all the mods for the series and has the sleeve metering fuel system.
You need to look for the Parts Book for s/n 83J2177 to 83J3421, Form # UEG0682S
And here it is. $89 to downbload a pdf from the Cat Publications website.
Here's one on ebay for $30 plus postage... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caterpilla...895564?hash=item56b55c0a8c:g:JF4AAOSwF91bfEbZ
Cat can sure make finding those manuals tricky at times! I figured Nige would be the one to find it!
Credit OM with providing the info. He came up with the Cat Publication reference. That made finding the document a simple process.
So maybe one "trick" would be to do a search on Ebay and if there is a manual offered there see if the person selling it happens to post the publication number, might show on the cover in a picture. Just have to look real close and use the zooom in function!
I looked at OM's eBay link for just that reason. Unfortunately there were only 2 photos of the manual for sale, the front cover and the index page. The Publication Reference is generally on the rear cover ......... bugger... Edit: I obviously didn't look closely enough at the photo of the Index...........
See my edit above!
I knew the Form # because I have one.