Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Maria Laveau still getting it

onemank6 · 2019-05-04 23:52

Aint been around much lately working on new house and old Maria is still out here doing her thing she’s tearing up the woods now dug out a old private dump from years ago and clearing some woods it may of started out as just a old dirty tractor and got to the point of questioning my own sanity on rebuilding her hahaha but I never thought she would be at my side starting over so late in life he’ll I think she’s gonna outlive me by a long shot I’m so glad I rebuilt her before I lost my shop she’s been priceless in rebuilding the new place and just my life god I love this old tractor

Replies32
  1. #1onemank62019-05-04 23:54
  2. #2Grady2019-05-06 01:46

    xpack, It's good to see you're still working the old girl and she's still pulling her weight. Where you going with that section of roof?

  3. #3onemank62019-05-06 07:40

    Well a lots changed since that pic that one was a while back Grady the whole roof came off like that the new roofs on now well I didn’t shingle it yet cause I’ll be adding on at some point so I just put the cheap roiled roofing on for now this pic is older to but it’s one of my favorites it’s at night with new trusses on and lights on just looks pretty cool it’s good to hear from you Grady have ya heard anything from jusk or 68

  4. #4onemank62019-05-06 21:31

    Here’s some boulders Maria stressed her tailbones out on getting them out of the ground the largest one only had about 12” diameter and 3” tall sticking out of the ground when I started digging it out what a shocker it was when I finally got it all exposed holy crap it’s big Maria and some creative thinking finally got it out of the ground then it had to be moved that was literally dragging it a few inches at a time that’s when I had to replace a cylinder seal that was not only old but now leaking

  5. #5onemank62019-05-06 21:34

    Here’s a shot of it in the hole

  6. #6onemank62019-05-06 21:35
  7. #7aighead2019-05-18 16:40

    Those boulders are beautiful!

  8. #8kshansen2019-05-18 18:30

    If you want some swing over my way and you can have all you want, they grow fine around here! Guess I should have expected that as I'm right between two active limestone quarries and next door neighbor has a small abandoned quarry pit behind his house. And I did buy the property from one of the two quarries I worked for, plus there are stone fences all around the area!

  9. #9aighead2019-05-18 20:27

    Oh if only! I would, in a heartbeat if I could! I apparently have a few good boulders in my yard too but I'm not sure where to find them. Thanks for the offer!

  10. #10onemank62019-05-19 00:34

    Kshansen I’m next door to a limestone quarry to in fact I just took the old dump truck and got some road chips from them to put in driveway...Wow I’ve never owned property with so many boulders rocks and limestone before this is some tough ground to dig there’s spots 2’ down and you hit limestone big stuff to and rocks or so you think turn into boulders real quick when you start digging them out I don’t know what it’s called but there’s something I find here and there I have no idea if they are some sort of gem if so I’m sure it’s junk stuff but it’s pretty cool looking I’ll get some pics of it and post it I wish it was diamonds but that’s not my luck hahaha

  11. #11onemank62019-05-19 00:45

    Aighead That first pic of that large boulder has the bucket on the flat side of the boulder the side laying on the ground is real cool it is shaped like a little kids slide it’s got a high side that tapers down to a mid section then tapers down to a lower section I’ve had thoughts of putting it in the yard with a small pond at the end of the lowest part and turning it into a water falls using a solar powered pump the water to the highest point and have it flow to the lowest and back into pond like a waterfall it’s just a thought right now

  12. #12onemank62019-05-19 00:54

    Kshansen Here’s some pics of a hunk of that stuff I’m talking about any idea what it’s called do you find it by you to ????

  13. #13Birken Vogt2019-05-19 00:57

    Looks like the quartz we have all around here but I have no idea if that occurs where you are.

  14. #14Mother Deuce2019-05-19 05:14

    Considering how much limestone you have and that calcite is a major component of limestone. It is probably calcite. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcite

  15. #15onemank62019-05-19 08:06

    Mother deuce Yeah it does look like that calcite on that link that image on there looks like a chunk we found I’ll get some pics of it later and post them thanks

  16. #16Mother Deuce2019-05-19 09:57

    Some times if you can find a pocket, the crystals are pretty cool!

  17. #17onemank62019-05-19 13:51

    Here’s the one we found it’s like they grew inside half of a rock

  18. #18onemank62019-05-19 13:52

    Here’s some inside of a boulder

  19. #19aighead2019-05-19 14:32

    Wow! You guys are lucky ducks! I've got a couple big rocks that were found upon digging a pond, then I'm seeing some rocks just at ground level that I may try digging out to see how big they are... I could use like a million big rocks.

  20. #20mowingman2019-05-19 16:47

    You can easily check to see if it is calcite or quartz. Get some type of diluted acid, like diluted hydrochloric acid. Drip a little on a clean sample. If it fizzes, it is most likely calcite. If it doe not fizz, it is probably quartz. The quarries up in the Ohio/Michigan border area are full of calcite crystals. Way back in my college days, we made several trips up to a Toledo area quarry to collect calcite crystals. They formed in pockets in the limestone.

  21. #21kshansen2019-05-20 09:29

    Well if we are showing off our rocks here are three of the ones we are using for lawn decoration! Probably should have put something in the pictures to give perspective of sizes. That middle one is only about the size of a basketball but is interesting as it looks to be a few different stones that were stuck in mud that eventually turned to rock.

  22. #22onemank62019-05-20 10:05

    Kshansen Those are cool that middle one is real neat I’m kinda planning on using these for the same thing yard Stuff

  23. #23DMiller2019-05-20 14:50

    Got plenty of big rocks here too. Little town not six miles away Stoney Hill, and the namer's meant it.

  24. #24kshansen2019-05-20 19:42

    I made a comment when we started doing this "yard work decorating" with stones about how some poor farmer spent untold hours digging up and dragging those dang stones out of his field and now this dummy is hauling them right back! I can not begin to imagine the time and effort that went into building all the stone fences around this area and they did not have skidsteers or front end loader to do the lifting!

  25. #25onemank62019-05-20 22:15

    Yeah I spent a good portion of the winter mortaring the basement it’s the rock basement walls I’m pretty sure there was a heck of a lot of Manuel labor put into building it I thought the same thing that had to of been tough work building it let alone digging it out heck they had to bust threw all this limestone just to get the hole dug

  26. #26Grady2019-05-20 23:17

    Hey xpack, those are some crazy rocks you grow up there. You should be selling them on eBay or craigslist. I haven't heard from Jusk or '68 but I don't spend much time here anymore. The powers that be told me that my point of view wasn't appreciated around here and threatened to ban me so I took the hint and went away but I check in now and then if I'm bored but I don't give advice anymore - no great loss to anyone cause I don't know much anyway. ; ) I love that creative problem solving - nice jig to move those rafter sections. My place needs a new roof this year, too. I'll try to post some pics when I get started but it won't come near that one of marie taking a big bite out of those rafters. Keep at it old friend. It looks like you're doing well and I'm glad Marie is holding up, too.

  27. #27onemank62019-05-21 08:55

    Grady I’ve always liked your point of view as far as knowing much you sure helped me when i redid Maria it was very helpful.... I don’t make it on here much either these days still trying to get it all together along with friends and family Maria has been a lifesaver if not for all that I’d probably be stuck in some apartment in the city somewhere that wouldn’t be a good thing for a guy like me.... Funny thing I had no idea when I did Maria or that camper I’m sure you seen they would be so important down the road heck I don’t go camping in the camper but I sure used it as home off and on.... Maria is clearing out a small section of woods right now to park trailers in on the new property I’ll post some pics maybe tonight.... Take care ol buddy

  28. #28onemank62019-05-21 20:53

    Here’s some pics

  29. #29Grady2019-05-22 00:55

    Those pictures look good. You must love being back out there tearing it up with Marie. You inspired me to fire up my old CK that's been sitting for a while cause I've been using the 4wd. I was thinking about selling it but I'm still too attached to it.

  30. #30greg95042019-05-23 08:04

    onemank6, kshansen: Those boulders look great. Wish I had as easy access to them. I'm jealous of your properties!

  31. #31kshansen2019-05-23 08:47

    Yea they are great till you get distracted while mowing the lawn and one reaches up from underground and attacks the mower deck!

  32. #32onemank62019-05-23 13:41

    Maria has had her hands full here with the boulders for sure and it’s all new lawn this year so the poor old Johns Deere 316 is blazing the path with old blades right now maybe new next year for it there’s a lot being thrown out into the woods this year and yep there all the ones you know you’ve already removed until you hit it with the mower deck oops forgot one hahaha