Hey guys is anyone here rug mechanics or machinists? Getting ready to bid a complete repower and vessel overhaul.
Tug ^^
Yair . . . Used to be involved in a slip servicing steel shrimp boats and tugs to about one hundred feet. Cheers.
I sailed on one as an engineer for about a year, not that I knew what I was doing....
went canoeing once, thats about it
seen one on tv once and i stayed in a holiday in express so what do you want to know
I used to have a bass boat......even had a jet drive outboard. Ed
To the OP, we're not being smartasses (much), it's just not an area of expertise for most of us, so far Scrub is the only one with real boatyard experience and I'm sure he'll be able to give some good advice. Tell us more?
3 stage Hamilton jet 350 Chev. Is that any help?
I once repowered a smallish fishing/charter boat. To a simple diesel mechanic like myself it all looked fairly simple; disconnect everything, cut a hole in the boat, remove the old units, modify the rails, drop in the new engines, connect it all back up, align the propshafts, check the cooling temps and exhaust back-pressure in a couple of sea trials and bob's your auntie's live-in-lover. All very well until the marine architects and surveyors get involved. Stress loadings, torque loadings, moments of inertia, plans to be approved before a single bolt is undone. I didn't lose on the job but the owner spent almost as much on compliance as the new engines. BOAT = Bring On Another Thousand.
I am bidding a complete overhaul. We are putting a new skin on the hull tier4 emissions engines, new gear boxes, electronics and paint. As well as will have to make new tail shafts and rudders. Just looking for some tips insite on alignment of shafts and engines. I've been around it all but only a few times and just wondering if anyone had any good advice Thanks smart asses. Lol
and you couldnt find any boat forums out there in computerland?.....................
Based on my limited experience my best advice is to do the final alignment once the boat is back in the water. On the dry dock, things move around by a surprising amount.
Yair . . . DSPservicesLLC . That intrigues me. A new skin of what onto what and why? Cheers.
A steel skin onto the hull cutting old one off because it is to thin
I contracted to build a new tracked machine three years ago, ran the numbers several times, had my friend the steel fab king go over everything with me and bid the main frame for me, made the proposal to the customer and all was well. Now I've done several projects like this over the years so it's not my first rodeo, but apparently I failed to properly account for the change in prices the last few years while I was vacationing due to the 2008 crash. All the major components of course we obtained quotes so that was fine, but the hours and the little stuff just killed me. Still paying off that mistake, not something I like to admit but if it serves as a warning to someone then at least I've led by being a bad example. Assume every single thing you do will cost you around double what you think you can get it done for. Things like freight costs, welding wire, gas, gloves, labor, oh dear gawd labor, hired, temp, or contract, will eat you up. Go for it, just be sure you're covered and can finish out the job when, not if, you encounter things you did not expect. If you get the contract be sure it spells out exactly what you're being paid to do, and there's a clause in there stating that any changes or additional work that arises from unexpected circumstances will be T&M or negotiated. Let us know how it goes....
Yair . . . Thanks for reply DSPservicesLC What can, I say it boggles the mind. If that is what is proposed there is more to this project than meets the eye and, under normal circumstances this would never be considered. You have mentioned new engines, transmissions, rudders, shafts. electronics and obviously blast and paint. Unless there are compelling legal, heritage, or tax boondoggle reasons, instead of "removing the skin" it would be more cost effective to build a new boat. On jobs such as that the old "best estimate, double it and add a third" methodology comes to mind with possibly a tweak upward, you won't believe how such a project can chew at financial and mental recourses. All the best with it. Cheers.
That is a valid point lol. This fall u see government grant for emissions they pay for 65% of emissions related improvements. As it would seem better maybe to start from scratch from the hull up is in good structural shape just needs cosmetic work. all the quadrants,jockey bars, steering is still good.
how much labor to remove old skin and prep hull, remove all old components and get ready for new, and in the end for value wise, you still have an old boat...with lots of new parts, if you start from scratch, you have a new 2016/2017 boat with a much higher resale value, I would imagine..
If the taxpayers will pony up say half of the total rebuild, makes sense to go that route. It's just business.
Yair . . . I guessed it had to be some boondoggle lantraxco. Imagine the work in taking off a skin? On a tug that could be 3/8" on (say) 4"x4"x 3/8" angle frames continuous skip welded. It would have to be cut from the inside . . . oil and rust and crud mixed up with excrement. from all the bilge monsters (shudders) I did see an attempt at resheeting leaving the original in place. They got a few years out of it but corrosion between the sheets would eventually kill it . . . never get through survey of course. Cheers.
Well, plasma cutter, daylight all but a couple inches near the frames and open it all up like windows, then go back with the carbon arc or whatever to finish stripping the frames. Still a nasty job, but that's what we get the big bucks for right?
It is 1/4-3/8 depending where you gauge it from LOL. The angle is 3x3 it is a very light frame boat. New you would be looking upwards of 1million I right around 450k total overhaul witch 65% of anything related to emissions paid for. Say that brings it down to 250-300kfor a particle new boat. I have 1,110 hours figured in hull removal and replace
Yair . . . Thanks for continuing the conversation DSPservicesLLC . Folks sometimes come on here with a couple of interesting posts and then just fade away. If there is any possibility of pictures they would be interesting. What are the vessels dimensions and is she hard chine or does she have a bit of shape? I image due consideration must be given to maintaining the integrity of the vessel once you start stripping off plate. This may affect the ability to utilize large sheets . . . without knowing the situation I feel I would be more comfortable to remove it section by section (as mentioned by lantraxco ) and replating as I went. Cheers,
48'x18'x4.6 not a huge boat. For sure will have to do small sections at a time. 8'x20' is what we are shooting for be about 9 different patches. As someone had said they wanted to just plate over old steel I said they can find another contractor that is just asking for trouble
Shallow draft, river boat then?
Was this boat in salt or fresh water. I never rebuilt a boat but when I worked for a large marine contractor in Long Beach, CA we were constantly finding and repairing corrosion on the crane and on the work barges. It was always hidden somewhere not obvious until you opened something up. Be sure to allow time and money for repairs, or at least insure your contract spells out payment for fixing such.
now it makes sense once you put it that way...
Turned bid in just waiting on word!!!!
Yair. . . . Good one mate. Please try and keep us posted, its good to some marine stuff on here. Cheers.