Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Locking nuts on pins question

Deere456 ยท 2016-10-20 22:35

I need to remove and re-install a lifting arm on a logging forwarder and it has GUK 13 nuts on the pins. like the one in the photo. Roughly what would the torque value be? I don't have a tool for those nuts and the only ones I've used in the past have been for low torque values setting bearings.

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2016-10-20 23:21

    I'll guess a couple hundred foot pounds per inch diameter, tops. That's a nylock nut so it's not so much a super high strength in my opinion. Anybody know better?

  2. #2lantraxco2016-10-20 23:25

    I don't know better, but I'm with you, it's just a retaining nut I don't think it's supposed to be anything other than "tight". YMMV

  3. #3Deere4562016-10-20 23:49

    That's what I was figuring. I wouldn't trust any of the tools I've seen for any real torque anyway. I'll just go with that.

  4. #4DIYDAVE2016-10-21 06:43

    I'd get, or make the right tool, for tightening. As others have said, its a lock nut, not one that takes a super high torque. Sure, you can do it with a hammer and punch, but that looks kinda amateurish compared to using the right tool...:IMO