Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Marion steam shovel

NZLOGGER ยท 2010-02-28 22:27

Has any one got any information on a Marion oil fired steam excavator? It is believed to be about a 1935 model, self propelled on rails and had two oblong tanks [for oil?] mounted at the rear. It had a three quarter yard bucket capacity.

Replies5
  1. #1Lexy2010-03-03 09:41

    I wish I could help you on that because the old steam shovels that I have seen ran off the coal they stripped. I'll look around and see if I can find something for you. In the mean time, you could always give the Huber Museum in Marion, Ohio a call or email!! They've helped me with a number of things and have a lot of the old Marion stuff because of the factory being down the road. Here's their website: http://www.mariononline.com/hubermuseum/ And their phone number: 1-(740) 389-1098 They are always willing to help out any way they can because when Bucyrus Erie bought Marion out, BE tossed most Marion history and documents away or gave them to trusted museums like this one.

  2. #2Buckethead2010-03-03 09:44

    The Historical Construction Equipment Association would probably have Marion manuals. http://hcea.net Hope this helps!

  3. #3Lexy2010-03-03 10:02

    That's the one I couldn't remember! Thanks! Yeah, these guys have a fantastic collection of Marion documents, but they do charge you for any big searches they do if I'm not mistaken.

  4. #4CAT 24H2010-04-02 20:52

    Marion Steam Shovels in N.Z. Hi N.Z.Logger I noted with great interst your post re the model "21" Marion steam shovel, also a photo of same. Only two days ago I was researching wether or not any of these shovels came here to New Zealand, I did come across reference to 11 of these machines, with the appropriate years they were ordered, also given is the order No for each individual machine. Therefore I can ionly assume that they all did come here. The years shown with the orders were from 1915 through to 1924. The horsepowers given were - from 14 to 33., all were vertical boilers. Records refered to are held by the Alexander Turnbull National library in Wellington. N.Z. I hope that this is of interest to you. Regards Alan T. Lewis Christchurch NEW ZEALAND email - [email protected]

  5. #5Lexy2010-04-03 09:33

    That's pretty amazing!!! I received some amazing photos of one of the steam shovels in New Zealand through the mail that just amazed me!!!