Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Martin Mars Water Bomber Tribute

TimeLapse · 2014-02-01 01:16

Martin Mars Water Bomber Tribute This video removed, in favor of the one below.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies168
  1. #1TimeLapse2014-02-01 11:30

    Where is the edit button for this page ? I want to change the video

  2. #2TimeLapse2014-02-01 11:33

    Martin Mars Water Bomber Compilation [video=youtube;ryCzUGcrq1o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryCzUGcrq1o[/video]

  3. #3CRAFT2014-02-01 12:48

    Really Nice short Vid !!! …… A neighbour friend of Mine Had the Last 2 Martins Land on Green Lk just south of me back in '03 during the BC Burning Fire Holocaust ….. He's a Bird-Dog ….. explained that it was a mid day thing that when optimal flying condition get very Poor …… WHAT A SITE !! to see …..amazing Birds !!!

  4. #4RZucker2014-02-01 13:39

    Impressive. That is one Biiig flying boat. Anybody know what the powerplants are?

  5. #5TimeLapse2014-02-01 13:42

    Thanks Man, I am making another video with some better clips with the help from a youtuber that has good shots of dropping loads of water.Stay tuned. They are great planes,Out lasted the space shuttle and concord .And many other planes. Thanks for taking a look

  6. #6digger242j2014-02-01 15:28

    It's only there for an hour. We figure that's generally long enough to make corrections. In cases like this one it may be an inconvenience, but in general, we feel it's better that everybody knows they need to stand behind what they've posted, as opposed to having the unlimited ability to remove something if the reaction to it isn't what they'd hoped for. The staff can edit things for you at any time if it's a real problem. Thanks for sharing that. I'm glad I watched it to the very end. There's nothing like the sound of four big radials! :thumbsup

  7. #7TimeLapse2014-02-01 16:15

    Most Forums let you edit what you have posted,Why would anybody with a website would want to re edit when the poster can do it.Now they have to waste there time,Oh well. ,Ex ,I took down the other video that is better then the one I leave here on the forum,I have to re edit the other video,so a black hole with no video stays there. I wish the would just ad a edit button. Anyways ,Glad you liked the video ,and thanks for the thumbs up

  8. #8digger242j2014-02-01 18:50

    Like I said, members have an hour to make changes--make corrections to typos, rethink how they've expressed something, or perhaps add another thought or two. That's longer than some forums. If the staff has to edit something, it's usually because it's inappropriate content, or a rules violation of some kind. If it's something that the member really regrets having posted, like information they later realize shouldn't be made public, we're willing to take care of things. Point taken. Black hole patched over.

  9. #9TimeLapse2014-02-01 19:20

    Not sure,Just Google it,I am posting a way better version with water dumps

  10. #10TimeLapse2014-02-01 19:22

    Here is the video I have been working on this week,I hope everybody will like it.and please leave a comment.Thanks [video=youtube;uEUrjRKiEic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEUrjRKiEic[/video]

  11. #11camptramp2014-02-01 22:45

    Great tribute to the Martin Mars TimeLapse I for one am very disapointed , at what has become of them .

  12. #12CRAFT2014-02-01 23:10

    …… THAT !!! …. and what has happened to the FIRECATS as well, being grounded for the last few years ! …..

  13. #13TimeLapse2014-02-01 23:12

    Thanks Man, Yea I am not sure what is happening with the great planes,I hear they no longer have a contract with the BC Government, The Philippine Mars might be flying away this spring,Anyway ,Glad you liked my video,thanks again.

  14. #14TimeLapse2014-02-01 23:15

    What are the FIRECATS,Please tell me what they are,Thanks

  15. #15CRAFT2014-02-01 23:54

    ….As you would have put it … LOL …. Goggle Conair Firecat ! ….. pictures and their description put accurately ….. I had the opportunity to get a personal tour inside of them when they were at the Tanker Base in Kamloops when my Bird-Dog Neighbour/Buddy was base commander there …. Another amazing Bird that flew many years dousing fires in BC …. and other parts of the continent. …. Conair Water Tankers sent them where ever they were needed ….. we'll see where this thread goes, I'll see if he has some Good pics from out of his Library of 35 yrs of Bird-Dogging

  16. #16TimeLapse2014-02-02 10:43

    Ok Thanks ,I just got back from the school of google ,Now I know what it is ,LOL ,At first I thought it was the team name for the smokejumpers,

  17. #17Dualie2014-02-05 02:22

    its hard to fathom the size of the mars water bombers till you see them up close.

  18. #18TimeLapse2014-02-05 10:21

    Martin Mars That is so true,I got the scope of scale when the pilot was walking on the wing,I found that clip when I was editing the videos,And did not see it at the time of filming,That clip is in the video.,Can you see the pilot on the wing

  19. #19CRAFT2014-02-06 17:13

    ……. " No SH*T " …. !!!! ………… SO TRUE !!!

  20. #20camptramp2014-02-11 22:38

    BCFP Renfrew Div Ladies Day 1973 or 74 Bird Dog guiding a Martin Mars water bomber in for a demonstration drop in Lens Cr area

  21. #21camptramp2014-02-11 22:42

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Ladies Day 1973 or 74 Martian Mars water bomber making a demonstration drop in Lens Cr.

  22. #22camptramp2014-02-11 23:02

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Bird Dog guiding Matian Mars water bomber for a drop on operational fire, on Granite Cr. spring 1980

  23. #23camptramp2014-02-11 23:16

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Martian Mars water bomber making a drop on operational fire fall 1981 Harris Cr.2000

  24. #24TimeLapse2014-02-11 23:44

    Very Cool Picture Man,Thanks for posting them. Here are some pictures of the Marianas Mars [video=youtube;OyMIWnZBOxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyMIWnZBOxA[/video]

  25. #25CRAFT2014-02-12 03:08

    Those early Pics were taken in the Harbour out of Vancouver BC, must have been before they re-painted to the Red & Whites ………… They SURE HAD a Distinct Sound !!!! Great Pics !!!! …. THX …...

  26. #26CRAFT2014-02-12 03:11

    Are you Thinking this Twin Engined Amphib was the Bird Dog ??? ….. And not a smaller water tanker ???

  27. #27TimeLapse2014-02-12 09:34

    The first pictures are from Hawaii early 1950's ,And the water bombing tests ,I think are from 1960 at the port Alberni airport.

  28. #28camptramp2014-02-12 10:15

    The picture of the practic drop on a landing strip is probably at Cassidy , Born2clearcut has pictures of a similar drop taken there by his grandfather Les Way. The Martian Mars water bombers were acompanied by a Gremilin Goose known as the Bird Dog ,it flew into the area ahead of the Mars and directed it to a safe approach and drop. If the two Mars were working different fires the Bird Dog would accompany the Mars going to the most dangerous terriain.

  29. #29TimeLapse2014-02-12 10:35

    You are correct,I just checked google street view from near the Nanaimo airport,And the mountains in the background are the same.So it is Cassidy Nanaimo airport.Thanks Man

  30. #30camptramp2014-02-12 19:07

    BCFP Nekite River Div A Gremlin Goose owned by Alert Bay Air Service (ABAS ) picking up part of the crew on a charter. I was sitting on the plane float at Nekite River Waiting for the Morning Sched one time. I thought I head something rustling on the standing boom behind me , didn't pay any attention to it . Then I heard something snort ,turned around and there was a Black Bear swiming past me , could have reached it with a pipe pole , it swam out to an island about a quarter mile away ,didn't take long to get there either.

  31. #31Born2clearcut2014-02-13 11:22

    Heres a few pictures I have

  32. #32Born2clearcut2014-02-13 11:24

    more

  33. #33camptramp2014-02-25 00:32

    Do you think we had the wool pulled over our eye's or what!

  34. #34camptramp2014-02-25 00:36

    More of smoke screen.

  35. #35Birken Vogt2014-03-12 15:02

    I don't quite understand what you are getting at here....

  36. #36CRAFT2014-03-12 15:42

    BC Government created a "snow-job" to justify letting the contract go for the Mars planes

  37. #37camptramp2014-03-12 19:11

    In 2001 Timberwest was assuring us we had a future , including the Martian Mars . By 2003 we were all being turffed out the back door including the Martian Mars . The brocure say's it all , if your familiar with Timberwest's history . Work hard be diligent and trustworthy and you shall be rewarded. LOL

  38. #38camptramp2014-11-27 22:52

    Oz Nelson Martin Mars picking up water at Elsinore Calif.

  39. #39camptramp2014-11-27 23:00

    Oz Nelson Martin Mars parked on Lake Cowichan .

  40. #40fixou8122014-11-29 11:17

    And the Captain We all make logistics errors

  41. #41camptramp2015-02-14 00:11

    Bruce W. A Fire on a hill side over looking the Village of Lake Cowichan B.C. April 2004 .

  42. #42camptramp2015-02-14 00:13

    Bruce W. fire 2004

  43. #43camptramp2015-02-14 00:15

    Bruce W . Fire 2004 .

  44. #44camptramp2015-02-14 00:17

    Bruce W . fire 2004 .

  45. #45camptramp2015-02-14 00:19

    Bruce W . fire 2004 . Martin Mars fly's off into the sunset .

  46. #46Murk1002015-07-09 10:42

    Sproat Lake 2015..this fire is text book Martin Mars from the start to late now, had the Mars been sitting on stand bye the fire would be out in my opinion...

  47. #47Murk1002015-07-09 10:45

    Few more

  48. #48Murk1002015-07-09 10:58

    I happened to be camping on Sproat and witnessed the fiasco from the start.. I guess the good news is the Mars is ready to go. Hawaii hopefully will get in the air today for flight training to Smokey yesterday. I'm still here Blk Prince

  49. #49Murk1002015-07-09 11:01
  50. #50Blk prince2015-07-09 12:33

    Murk,I am looking this over saying that is not the view from the seat of a non air condition cab. Then I see your greeting.you are doing way better than I. Daughter and her young family headed back to Prince George this morning,wife went back to work and I am so lucky. Stuck here putting all the furniture back in proper place. Even part time work would be better than this. Nice to hear from you.

  51. #51Murk1002015-07-09 18:25

    LOL.. Had a great 10 days at Sproat until the smoke showed up had to use the GPS on the lake, now I'm sitting here at home looking at my PU and boat full of crap. Camping is over rated even though we rented a 3800 sq ft house with all the bells and whistles.lol Lucky we're not fighting fire out Beaver Creek, June 15th I was pulling a turn in and started a fire luckily the boys were on the ball got it out with 3 **** cans.. yikes.. been home ever since.

  52. #52Taylor572015-07-10 13:42

    My photo of the Martin Mars (I believe it's the Hawaii) taken at Caycuse on Lake Cowichan circa 1964.

  53. #53dunwurken2015-07-11 19:58

    I continue to be astounded by the ignorance of our government. Specifically the Minister of Forest and their Kamloops fire center spokesperson. The MoForests said that they could hire four Fire Boss Air Tractors for the same cost of hiring the Martin Mars. The Air Tractor packs 800 US gallons of water. It would take nine of them to equal the one drop capacity of the Martin Mars. 800 gals dropped from an Air Tractor would have nowhere near the penetration power of a Martin Mars drop. Most would probably evaporate. He also said the Martin Mars cannot drop retardant. That is simply not true. It can add as much or how little to each pickup that suits the fire behaviour. Meanwhile the Fire center spokesperson said on CBC that aircraft whether they be planes or helicopters do not put the fire out. It's the crews on the ground that put the fire out. I am here to tell you it is the aircraft that either stops or delays the spread of the fire and gives the people on the ground a chance to get control of it and then then put it out. I can clearly see why we are in so much trouble in this province when this is the logic they use. FYI I do speak from experience dealing with forest fires as an industry fire boss. I have used the Martin Mars and various sizes of helicopters. I would not consider wasting my time with a Air Tractor. Someone has sold them a bill of goods on that one.

  54. #54dirty4fun2015-07-11 20:07

    It is to bad that the people who control things have never had to work doing what they are in charge of. It is impossible to beat someone that is knowledgeable due to having worked doing the job. Sorry to hear that a dang pencil pusher is in control of the forestry dept. They can cause more damage than a fire, yes you can get four planes cheaper, but they take three times longer to do the job. Hope those in charge push back, and get their heads out of their back sides soon!

  55. #55clintm2015-07-11 20:31

    the scary thing is it's all of the world that thinks like that. it's all about the money that goes in their own pocket or brother inlaws . not for the good of their neighbor or man kind and I can't see how it will change any time soon

  56. #56VIPMedia2015-07-11 22:33

    Martin Mars July 8 2015 Sproat Lake [video=youtube;RL_zFtBBDTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL_zFtBBDTc[/video]

  57. #57camptramp2015-07-12 01:03

    Murk 100's pictures tell it all , the Martin Mars is most effective when a fire is small , make a drop and put a crew in the site to mope it up . Quite often the powers that be get away with taking a gamble . Their gambling style of fighting forest fires , isn't working this year ! We all know we haven't had our average rain fall this pasted Winter , we knew there isn't any Snow Pack in the Coast Mountain's or any Mountain in B.C. . I have to question why every piece of Fire Fighting Equipment was not ready and able to go to work when needed ! The Forest Companies of the 1950's and 1960's were brilliant in their strategy to convert tankers off Rail Car's into water tank's and water trailer's for logging trucks , a good stock of fire pumps and fire hose on hand and creating the Martin Mars Water Bombers . It was with sadness as I watched the tankers hauled off for scrap and the fire pumps and equipment allowed to deteriorate to junk and the Martin Mars moth balled in the 2000's . Its only July , we have a long summer ahead of us , if the powers in the heavens don't send us some rain clouds soon , there's going to be an awful lot of scorched scenery in "Beautiful B.C." .

  58. #58Murk1002015-07-12 11:32

    Well put guys.. this is an interesting read. http://www.alberniweather.ca/fire/MarsRebuttal.pdf This to me is the ultimate aerial tool box.

  59. #59camptramp2015-07-12 20:03

    Somebody in the "Heavens Above" must be watching over us , our weather prediction of 30%-40% chance of rain fall has turned out to be about a 95% chance of rain fall . Hope it is hitting the Interior and South of the Border , it might give the Guy's on the fire line a chance to get caught up on their battle against the Wild Fires . To bad we can't get some "Back Benchers " out of their office's on to the Fire Line maning the Madicks, Shovels and P---cans , for some hands on experience .

  60. #60Vigilant2015-07-13 05:08

    The forward and back action of the **** can would provide them with the most useful experience. :whistling:

  61. #61Murk1002015-07-22 23:32

    https://www.change.org/p/province-h...um=copylink&rp_sharecordion_checklist=control

  62. #62camptramp2015-07-29 00:39

    There is a wild fire burning in the Cowichan Valley , I seen smoke in the sky above our home coming from the West . Took a drive towards Lake Cowichan on HWY 18 . Just East of Skutz Falls turn off , about 1000 ft. above the Highway there is a fire burning . I believe a Grapple Yarder was working there this AM . Stopped at Skutz Falls Junction to have a look , lots of smoke rising from it some very dark , might have been a machine burning up ? Fire called in after 4 PM , I was there about 7:30 PM . Just in time to see Martin Mars make first drop , stayed to watch it drop 5 , was getting dusk so I headed home , it might have made 1 more . I hope it made a difference , might have been of more help if it was there earlier . I guess we will see what tomorrow brings , unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me .

  63. #63VIPMedia2015-07-29 03:39

    I filmed the first 4 drops from the Martin Mars and 5 more drops from the other water bombers, Also go some helicopter drops[video=youtube;goAaswgns0Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goAaswgns0Y[/video]

  64. #64VIPMedia2015-07-29 03:46

    [video=youtube;ej8g_Gbyb5o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej8g_Gbyb5o[/video]

  65. #65VIPMedia2015-07-29 03:48

    [video=youtube;EuG-zV63_sI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuG-zV63_sI[/video]

  66. #66VIPMedia2015-07-29 03:53

    [video=youtube;hlVfSrOsPl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVfSrOsPl4[/video]

  67. #67dunwurken2015-07-29 16:06

    I was thinking about this this morning. Why did the private forest companies like BCFP, MB, and Crown Z always seem to get a better handle faster on a fire than what the provincial government can? I then remembered with the private forest companies the official response at the first call of a fire was to scramble the Martin Mars whether you need them or not. The scramble time varied depending on what the fire hazard ratings where. I do recall the position of FIFT who at that time owned the Martin Mars was they would launch at our request but if they ended up not dropping water then the company would not be charged. They said it was good training in any event. However when they did show up at the fire site they always had a good sales pitch to at least drop a load to get paid. It was always better to get them coming and not need them than not call them out and let things get out of hand (government style)

  68. #68VIPMedia2015-07-29 16:18

    Martin Mars Water Bomber Hit # 3 Bombs Away [video=youtube;MImjDmYRZVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MImjDmYRZVo[/video]

  69. #69VIPMedia2015-07-29 16:21

    Martin Mars Water Bomber Hit # 2 Bombs Away [video=youtube;bLtmgjXwn2I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLtmgjXwn2I[/video]

  70. #70lantraxco2015-07-29 19:06

    Timber companies are like farmers harvesting a crop, if there's no harvest they don't eat, so they're motivated to protect and preserve it. Government agencies are like parasites, the bigger and fatter they get the more harm they do and they're blind to the fact that they'll eventually kill the host that feeds them.

  71. #71VIPMedia2015-07-29 19:49

    I got blown over a few times filming today , I was as close as you can get .Many more video coming. [video=youtube;k6dijYZx6gI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6dijYZx6gI[/video]

  72. #72diamondtguy2015-07-29 20:08

    Nice videos....Thanks

  73. #73HDX2015-07-29 23:51

    When she left town last night and headed down south we figured it was Cowichan area When she came home she went into a shallow dive and man that was the greatest sound you can imagine When she went up a couple weeks ago people were running out into the streets and waving and screaming It was something those pilots wont forget looking down and seeing that--Incredible, I have never seen anything like that here. Now when she goes up people run out with their new "Water Bomber" flags and wave them!!! Will post a picture of one of the flags being sold here in town as a fund raiser.

  74. #74VIPMedia2015-07-30 00:40

    Thanks Man I got knocked on my ass from the prop wash a few times, I still have sand imbedded everywhere, I edited out that part,I have 43 water pick up videos,All filmed about two minutes apart, All kinds of angles, Anyways ,Thanks for watching.Here is another cool shot of the action. Also have 8 other water bomber hits of retardant videos. [video=youtube;E8nu71SbnHE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8nu71SbnHE[/video]

  75. #75VIPMedia2015-07-30 00:44

    Water Bomber ,Bombs Away Hit # 2 [video=youtube;l1WNj_XxmvA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1WNj_XxmvA[/video]

  76. #76VIPMedia2015-07-30 00:46

    Water Bomber ,Bombs Away Hit #3 [video=youtube;ni1yKEYj6uw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni1yKEYj6uw[/video]

  77. #77VIPMedia2015-07-30 00:51

    Water Bomber ,Bombs Away Hit #4 [video=youtube;SJ2-q3a2sGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ2-q3a2sGs[/video]

  78. #78dunwurken2015-07-30 01:59

    As I recall the esteemed BC Forest Minister stated that the Martin Mars could not drop retardant. I guess that must be the red water from Cowichan lake. Maybe Red tide!

  79. #79RCP572015-07-30 09:12

    Well said!

  80. #80camptramp2015-07-30 09:39

    The Martin Mars was dropping water , wasn't close enough to see if they were adding chemicals to make a jelly like slime , the red retardant was being dropped by a Conair Air Tanker .

  81. #81VIPMedia2015-07-30 10:56

    Water Bomber Hit # 6 ....... [video=youtube;ur4_Lz1pJQs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur4_Lz1pJQs[/video]

  82. #82VIPMedia2015-07-30 10:59

    Here is one that is cool, Bird dog Jet being used on the Sktuz Falls Forest Fire . ... [video=youtube;eovRNEl59SE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eovRNEl59SE[/video]

  83. #83VIPMedia2015-07-30 11:03

    Helicopter Water Drop on the Sktuz Falls Forest Fire ... [video=youtube;LIAZpneG9p4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIAZpneG9p4[/video]

  84. #84VIPMedia2015-07-30 14:53

    You can see the mist coming off the plane after water drop is white, Looks like water to me, no retardant

  85. #85Murk1002015-07-30 18:40

    Mars drops water, foam, or thermo gel.(not the red retardant) They inject the foam or gel after they pick up a load of water they can do this continuous for up to 8 hrs. Thermo Gel is a retardant not sure how it compares to the red stuff...

  86. #86VIPMedia2015-07-30 21:55

    Not sure then, You can ask them ,Coulson, They will most likely answer back , Message them at their new Facebook Page, Here is the link. https://www.facebook.com/coulsonflyingtankers It did look like the Martin Mars was hitting the fire head on with water , The Conair Water Bombers looked like the were hitting the edges of the fire with red retardant .But I was at a lower down the hill . Can only see so much, I am just elated that I got Hawaii Mars Bombs Away Shots on the Fire with 4 video clips,Here are a few more Water Bomber Hits from Conair Water Bomber. [video=youtube;MJ2k0oKzgoA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2k0oKzgoA[/video]

  87. #87VIPMedia2015-07-30 22:00

    [video=youtube;0oRHM_5T3JQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oRHM_5T3JQ[/video]

  88. #88VIPMedia2015-07-30 22:02

    Time Lapse-----------> Sktuz Falls Forest Fire Vancouver Island [video=youtube;_svcggPfK_E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_svcggPfK_E[/video]

  89. #89VIPMedia2015-07-30 22:12

    First Helicopter Water Drops on the Sktuz Falls Forest Fire [video=youtube;QlaPtN8WCOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlaPtN8WCOE[/video]

  90. #90VIPMedia2015-07-30 22:14

    First Helicopter Water Drops on the Sktuz Falls Forest Fire video 2 [video=youtube;QlaPtN8WCOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlaPtN8WCOE[/video]

  91. #91VIPMedia2015-07-30 22:17

    First Helicopter Water Drops on the Sktuz Falls Forest Fire video [video=youtube;pimNin42Ppw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pimNin42Ppw[/video]

  92. #92VIPMedia2015-07-30 22:25

    I hope everybody likes these videos, If so please click the like button top right inside video. Thanks. Dash Cam View of spectators watching and taking pictures as the Hawaii Mars Blasts by the screen. [video=youtube;QjVcjgc8ZXo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjVcjgc8ZXo[/video]

  93. #93VIPMedia2015-07-30 23:11

    Here Is the video with the Hawaii Mars doing 4 Water Drops on the Sktuz Falls Forest Fire . Please click the like button. Thanks. [video=youtube;JUIrrbIDXxo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUIrrbIDXxo[/video]

  94. #94King of Obsolete2015-08-02 14:20

    i bought a magazine article on ebay and on the back of one of the pages is an ad for the martin mars plane. very good info and it is dated december 1945. thansk KoO Published Author

  95. #95VIPMedia2015-10-13 12:49

    Philippine Mars ,Sproat Lake Vancouver Island Sept 5 ,2015 [video=youtube;xPe_oeN7dP8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPe_oeN7dP8[/video]

  96. #96Jim D2015-10-17 01:34

    VIP, Thanks for the video. Good work.

  97. #97VIPMedia2015-10-17 10:31

    Thanks Jim D

  98. #98camptramp2015-12-28 11:01

    Pat Mac (Bob MacMillen) BCFP

  99. #99Trainman2015-12-28 21:43

    Some shots from August 2013: First two are of the Hawaii Mars landing, and taxiing to the buoy for tie-up: Next is a detail view of the logo on the strut: To be continued.....

  100. #100Trainman2015-12-28 21:49

    Some interior shots: Main control area and the engineers controls: The top of the water tank: To be continued.....

  101. #101Trainman2015-12-28 21:51

    A couple of it tied up: The Coulson logo: To be continued....

  102. #102Trainman2015-12-28 21:55

    And finely some on land: The land tug: Philippine Mars ready for markings, and some people for scale:

  103. #103Trainman2015-12-28 22:58

    I read through the thread quickly and can offer some other insights. When I was working for Pacific Logging (one of the 3 owners of Forest Industries Flying Tankers [FIFT] along with MB and BCFP) I was trained and qualified to call the Mars when I was on fire duty, mostly for the Rivers Inlet operations. We also got to use any of the FIFT assets, like the Grumman Goose that was the bird dog and the helicopters, as long as it was not fire season. I have lots of seat time in the Goose. I asked one of the pilots why a Goose as a bird dog, and this is what I was told: the pilots rotated between the two Mars and the Goose and they found that the Goose had very similar flying characteristics to the Mars. So if the Goose had trouble accessing a fire, then they knew there was not much hope for the Mars. They had issues with government bird dogs that typically were much smaller and more maneuverable so they ended up guiding the Mars into situations that required the Mars to bail out before getting to the fire. Also, the pilots of the other bird dogs did not know the capabilities of the Mars as they did not work with them on a regular basis. There is a Mars engine at the British Columbia Aviation Museum in Sidney in case anyone wants to see one; it is a Wright “Cyclone 18” R-3350-24WA: http://www.bcam.net/engines/ about 3/4's of the way down the page.

  104. #104camptramp2015-12-30 00:38

    Pat Mac. (Bob MacMillen) BCFP

  105. #105camptramp2015-12-30 00:40

    Pat Mac. (Bob MacMillen) BCFP

  106. #106camptramp2016-03-30 21:24

    Boulder Bill / Gordy Isacson

  107. #107Murk1002016-07-15 11:28

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRYZcOTBsjY&feature=em-upload_owner My wife took this video... so awesome seeing this in action we got a little wet.

  108. #108TimeLapse2016-07-15 12:35

    Nice Video, If you click on the second last button ,then paste youtube link will show picture of your video, put mouse over it ,will say insert video, click that then paste the url

  109. #109Murk1002016-07-15 13:39

    [video=youtube;eRYZcOTBsjY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRYZcOTBsjY&feature=em-upload_owner[/video] Thanks Timelapse

  110. #110TimeLapse2016-07-15 14:21

    10- 4 Bombs Away

  111. #111TimeLapse2016-07-15 15:10

    Flying over Duncan July 14, 2016 [video=youtube;AAC0CSjIqlI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAC0CSjIqlI[/video]

  112. #112dirty4fun2016-07-15 20:12

    I sure enjoy watching the videos of the Martin Mars water bomber. pretty amazing what they built back then and still able to do more than most everything now. Got to give the designers and builders a lot of credit, on a job very well done!

  113. #113dunwurken2016-07-21 00:02

    I think but am trying to verify that the Hawaii Mars is doing a final tour tomorrow. Thursday. Their flight schedule was posted on the Martin Mars Facebook page 4 hours ago subject to changes so it might be advisable to check in the morning Here is a tentative flight schedule for tomorrow. Tofino/Ucluelet are weather dependent and the schedule is subject to change. Off Buoy at 9:30 Airborne 10:00 Ucluelet/Tofino,10:20 - 10:30 Gold River 10:40 Upper Campbell Lake: Scoop 10:45 Campbell River 11:00 Powell Lake: Scoop 11:15 Powell River 11:25 Courtenay 11:35 Union Bay/Fanny Bay/Bowser 11:40 - 11:45 Port Alberni 12:00 Anyone have further info ?

  114. #114HDX2016-07-31 11:32

    Hawaii Mars had accident down at the Oshkosh show. Had scooped up a load of water, Engine warning light started flashing and they put her down in Lake Winnabago--unfortunately the lake was too shallow and she hit the bottom and got holed. Divers working on her. Going to patch her up and send her back to Alberni to be fixed properly. The guys that keep them flying are THE BEST! So lets wait and see how she turns out.

  115. #115dirty4fun2016-07-31 21:43

    I knew the Hawaii Mars was going to the show hadn't heard that she ran to ground. Guess you could say she hit some hard water! Hope she is back at the port and repaired soon. Wonder if I stowed away I could catch a ride to Port Alberni! This morning I heard an airplane while at my shop. The very distinctive sound of radial motors, it was an old bomber. To high to tell what it was, but sure enjoyed the sounds that it was making.

  116. #116diamondtguy2016-08-01 00:11

    Well....sad to here about that but I suspect they will fix her up well...On the bright side she is used to swallowing water...

  117. #117camptramp2016-09-04 02:16

    Brian Dickson, BCFP Renfrew Div.

  118. #118camptramp2017-03-29 22:21

    Jim Backland , BCFP Renfrew Div. Martian Mars doing a fly pass over Lake Cowichan during Lake Day's 1981 .

  119. #119camptramp2017-03-29 22:22

    Jim Backland

  120. #120camptramp2017-04-03 00:15

    Jim Backland BCFP .

  121. #121camptramp2017-04-03 00:16

    Jim Backland , BCFP.

  122. #122camptramp2017-04-03 00:18

    Jim Backland , BCFP .

  123. #123camptramp2017-04-09 20:21

    Jim Backland , BCFP

  124. #124Murk1002017-04-09 21:46

    Where was this fire at Camptramp ? looks like Gold River country

  125. #125camptramp2017-04-09 22:09

    I'm not sure Jim B. was a Foreman in several BCFP Mainland Camp's , I have over 600 of Jim's slide's with nothing written on them . Some of the pictures I have figured out were taken at Narrows Inlet , as I went there as a relief operator in 1977 for a shift and recognize the camp . These pictures could have been taken at Narrows Inlet but I'm not positive .

  126. #126Murk1002017-04-11 20:24

    Thanks, nice pictures. keep

  127. #127camptramp2017-04-17 22:51

    Jim Backland , BCFP .

  128. #128Murk1002017-04-17 23:25

    WOW.... great pictures both planes working in tandem.... thanks again for your work getting them to us.

  129. #129camptramp2017-04-21 00:03

    Jim Backlund , BCFP .

  130. #130camptramp2017-10-17 22:36

    Ernie Harrison , BCFP Renfrew Div.

  131. #131Born2clearcut2018-02-01 08:28

    Yes these look to be Narrows Inlet

  132. #132camptramp2023-08-27 00:12

    Peter Mortensen Collection Martian Mars water bombers ready to fight fire on Sproat Lake

  133. #133donkey doctor2023-08-27 00:18

    It's been a while. Welcome back. d.d.

  134. #134camptramp2023-08-27 00:40

    Thanks d.d. Back a few years when our divison was relocating or changing ownership , Pete grab these slides before they were thrown away . There are a couple hundred slides , some pictures and a folder of negatives . Could be interesting .

  135. #135skyking12023-08-27 00:42

    That's Hawaii Mars, it is now up for sale as they no longer use it. 5 million They say the Mars will load water out of 113 lakes in BC, and the little planes can work 1700 lakes.

  136. #136camptramp2023-08-27 01:06

    The two remaining Martian Mars are "Moth Balled" and will probably never be used again . Its a shame that they are considered obsolete , when we were fighting a fire and the Mars arrived it was like the Cavalry arriving .

  137. #137skyking12023-08-27 01:12

    they are beauties. I hope to see them in their home lake next summer.

  138. #138Tones2023-08-27 11:48

    Isn't there some bureaucratic BS going on with them. My understanding is Kermit Weeks wanted Hawaii Mars but the Canadian grubermint wouldn't allow the sale because of there historical value so Coulson's said you buy it which they didn't. I haven't followed any progress since then.

  139. #139camptramp2023-08-27 18:29

    B.C. forest Products , MacMillan & Bloedel , Pacific Logging and the Tahsis Co. formed Forest Industries Flying Tankers (FIFT) in the early 1960's . Purchased the Martin Mars cargo planes and made water bombers out of them . When FIFT was funded by those companies , they were stationed at Sproat Lake and available for fire fighting on Vancouver Island and the B.C. West Coast . There are several lakes on Vancouver Island and the ocean surrounding it to pick up water from . When the Forest holdings were taken over by major Corporations they were deemed an unnecessary expense and sold off . The powers that be in our government say they are to expensive to operate and they are limited to where the Martin Mars can operate . I have to wonder how much cost and expense would have been save if the Martin Mars had made a couple of drops on the Cameron Lake fire or if it had been sent to West Kelowna to save homes in the fire by Lake Okannogan . The Martin Mars is a tool for fighting fires . It saddens me to have seen what it is capable of in the right situation , and now see it parked when it could have been utilized this Summer . There is talk that it may be put in an Aviation Museum near Victoria B.C. , if they do there should be a statue of the men that created it along side it . Perhaps those who deemed it unusable should spend some time on the fire line with a fire axe and shovel .

  140. #140kshansen2023-08-27 19:15

    Good idea, or maybe post a full page ad in a local paper listing all those who decided to "scrap them"!

  141. #141skyking12023-08-27 23:03

    They are closing in on 70 years old. The Philippine Mars has not flown on fires since 2006.

  142. #142camptramp2023-08-28 15:58

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  143. #143camptramp2023-08-29 23:20

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  144. #144camptramp2023-08-29 23:22

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  145. #145camptramp2023-08-31 23:18

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  146. #146camptramp2023-09-01 23:49

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  147. #147camptramp2023-09-02 18:19

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  148. #148camptramp2023-09-03 23:50

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  149. #149camptramp2023-09-04 23:18

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  150. #150skyking12023-09-04 23:21

    I love all that equipment on the ground in the last picture.

  151. #151camptramp2023-09-06 23:25

    Peter Mortensen Collection The Martin Mars are closer to 80 years old and still capable of flying , with some maintenance . They are a tribute to those who thought up , designed and manufactured the Martin Mars at a time when their country was at war . They have stood well in the test of time .

  152. #152camptramp2023-09-07 19:39

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  153. #153skyking12023-09-08 01:08

    That last picture is the Marshall Mars, burning off Diamond Head. Here is how she sits now in 1200 feet of water. They found her in 2004 while looking for the japanese mini subs from the Pearl Harbor attack. She was the culmination of the flying boat technology, and nearby the Marshall is a plane from the other end of the flying boat era. She is in good company with a Keystone PK-1 patrol bomber. The Keystones were intentionally scuttled in 1938. Their open cockpit design had been surpassed by more modern aircraft like the PBY.

  154. #154skyking12023-09-08 22:20

    It's a bummer that they scuttled the remaining 12 aircraft off Hawaii and none of that type remain anywhere. What a different mindset and practice, just a few years later they would be salvaging any aluminum they could for the war effort.

  155. #155camptramp2023-09-08 22:39

    Peter Mortensen Collection Converting the Martin Mars over to Water Bombers at Pat Bay near Victoria B.C. on Vancouver Island .

  156. #156camptramp2023-09-08 22:40

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  157. #157camptramp2023-09-09 23:09

    Peter Mortensen Collection Martin Mars base at Sproat Lake Port Alberni

  158. #158camptramp2023-09-11 00:10

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  159. #159skyking12023-09-11 00:52

    love the goose out in front in company colors, like a mini-me.

  160. #160camptramp2023-09-11 01:07

    The "Goose" was known as "Bird Dog" it went ahead of the Martin Mars as a Scout , then guilded the Martin Mars into the drop zone .

  161. #161skyking12023-09-11 01:12

    I tried to get a bird dog job in my late 30's and the USFS said I was too old.

  162. #162camptramp2023-09-12 23:42

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  163. #163camptramp2023-09-13 23:09

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  164. #164bccat2023-09-14 01:13
  165. #165camptramp2023-09-14 23:35

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  166. #166camptramp2023-09-16 00:19

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  167. #167camptramp2023-09-16 23:29

    Peter Mortensen Collection

  168. #168GunnieSacked2024-12-22 18:45

    Thought I would join in, I found youtube videos of the Martin Mars you may have to sign in or just search Martin Mars in youtube Coulson preparing the Martin Mars The Final Landing of the Hawaii Martin Mars Walk through the Martin Mars Hawaii Martin Mars Scaled Flying Replica Philippine Martin Mars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlRt4KxvTco&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePVST58jGZQ&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmV ​ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTEDmpkp0RI&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy ​ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=232Ffo0HGsM&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Awl7IUwD8&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT__FgT0nA8&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy The Gigantic Martin Mars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMZXlrczCeQ&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy Martin Mars Engine Start Up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Ij-2k3rUA&list=PLoq0KPzt3t8WZgs99Ewf8AanZZ0_MT-wM Worlds Largest Flying Boat: Martin JRM 3 Mars Bomber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0IToGDRck&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy Mars Water Bomber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uDSLh53Ppw&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy JRM Martin Mars Water Bomber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_sCv86QYXw&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy Air Strike at Skutz Falls Fire – 4 Shots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUIrrbIDXxo&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy Martin Mars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgaJAPOV1Us&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy Harrison Fire August 2025 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfhZDoPHrnM&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy Martin Mars at EAA In Oshkosh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0DjBaGCm0k&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy Water Bomber at Labrador Traffic Accident https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZkV64GJihA&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy Approach and Landing of the Martin Mars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrdLJ3GYVac&pp=ygUYbWFydGluIG1hcnMgd2F0ZXIgYm9tYmVy