New to the forum and would like to dive in by starting a thread that can hopefully answer some of my curiosity! :bouncegri Before I start, I'd like to say that I've done my best to search this forum (and the internet in general) and have come up rather empty handed - which is disappointing. I don't have any experience around feller bunchers or logging operations, but it seems like something I'd happily do any day of the week! I'm very interested in the feller buncher that Washington Iron Works produced in the mid-1980's before filing for bankruptcy, and then the later model that Allied Systems made, but like I said, I can't seem to find much of anything. Page 18 of this thread is the most information on the machine that I've been able to find anywhere, and it was rather helpful, but I still want to know more / hear about the machine. I've also linked associated images from the thread as well. I'm hoping that some forum members have additional photo's or possible film of the machine in action, but I do realize it was nearly thirty years ago.. Looking forward to what can be said about the machine! :notworthy
Taken last Saturday (1/25/14) at Camp 18 Logging Museum.
Special thanks to boardbysled for the recent photos! I was hoping someone would post photos of the machine residing at Camp 18 :cool2 Hard to think that it's the last in existence; will definitely have to stop by and check it out if I'm ever traveling that way. The Washington spec sheet stated that there was an engine rating of 210 horsepower; I'm not sure if there's any difference with Allied, but does anyone have an idea (or decent guess) of what engine may be sitting in the beast?
The ones I worked on had 3208 Cat motors. Bob
That would have been my guess, especially for the low profile.
Seems like a reasonable option considering the size, but I feel like there could had been a better option. Something like a Cummins, Detroit, or a different Cat perhaps? I don't have much experience with the 3208's; they were in agricultural applications - older 4x4 tractors and medium sized trucks. They did alright in the tractors like the older Steigers since they were ran at lower RPMs / lighter duty cycle, but in the trucks or equipment that were 100% duty cycle/ high RPM, they didn't last long and we're problematic. What kind of RPMs or duty cycles do bunchers run at when they're cutting?
About the only other low-profile option from back then that comes to mind would be the triple nickel Cummins, and they were worse than the 3208s. 6V53 would have probably been more engine than the machine could handle, and also not as low sitting.
Very interesting machine. I wonder how handy it was to use in a practical application. In the factory brochure photos it is shown with a shear head instead of a hot saw and the one in the photo has a Rotosaw which is one of the slower and almost outdated saw heads. The Rotosaw grips the tree and then the saw slides forward cutting it off. I wonder if it would have been more sucessful with a more modern cutting head. There was a lot faster saws out in the 80s than these options. The machine looks cool though. I would like to play with one on some river hills just to see how it acts. Neet stuff. Hope more info shows up.
I cut with one a little bit as a demo in the mid 90's, as I recall it would handle a pretty large stem for the times. On a flight back from Denver I sat next to the engineer for Allied, he told me the last one built never sold and was parted out and cut up for scrap. Scott S
You guess before it would have a 6v53 now you say it would be too much engine?Have you ever seen a 3208? Bob
I think it's safe to say most of the industrial engines at the time would had been too much; keep in mind the key word is most. Vigilant never suggested there was a 6V53 installed , and I'd agree with him that it's too large of an engine dimensionally/ in weight. A Cat 3208 weighs just under 1,600 pounds; new Tier 3 engines like the Cummins QSB 6.7 or JD 6081H in modern bunchers weigh right around 1,000 pounds. Regardless, I think this would still be a highly competitive machine if it had a slight facelift - even by today's standards. Say a newer engine is dropped in there (about 33% lighter & 25ish % increase in horsepower), the head is updated to a much quicker model, and maybe some of the hydraulics are re-calibrated; I think that would be a pretty kick ass machine that could traverse pretty much any log-able hillside. :IMO I'm very happy with how the thread is turning out; hopefully you guys are finding it as interesting as I am! Would still love to see some more images or hear people's experiences around the machine! But once again, thanks for the contributions this far!
I found some additional images from the original Washington Iron Works brochure / spec sheets that have been scanned and digitized. I know there's some repeats, but there's some new images as well and better quality shots of the ones already on here. As always, still looking for information/ images/ videos; feel free to share your ten cents!
After scrolling through more pages than I'd like to admit in the "Loaders, Limbers, and Roadbuilders" section, I stumbled across a few photos of the Allied before it was moved to its current location at Camp 18. Thought I would add them to the page; still looking for any information / images of the machine!
:update Hoping to jump start this thread again *fingers crossed But I know this is a fairly elusive machine, and there weren't many of them to begin with. Regardless! Always looking for more information and media on this piece of iron! I've been able to find a couple other photos of the machine, and I snagged a graphic off the Allied website :tong but it won't upload for whatever reason. Still hoping there's some members with experience around this machine out there! Thanks again :canada:usa:beerchug
Any body know if there are any out there for sale?
saw the remains of one while elk hunting in tillamook oregon 4 years ago. It was in a rockpit west of ken fallon's shop.
Drifter, The only machine left (that I know of) is on display in Oregon at a logging museum, otherwise I don't believe you'll be able to find one for purchase. Most of them have disappeared (to rock pits apparently ^ ) or been scrapped over the years. Busman1, Interesting contribution! Somewhat depressing, but nonetheless, at least someone has seen one out in the "wild". Have you ever ran across any others, or heard about them anywhere?
Ron Levang from Castle Rock had one in 2004-2005 for a bit.
Chopper, I think ken fallon had two of them. There were parts missing off the one i saw. leads me to believe they went to another one. 2005 or 2006 article on fallon in timber harvesting magazine might help your search or you might try calling fallon shop(mechanics know alot) In my experience calling offices looking for something from 20-30 years ago doesnt work.
The Allied ATH 28 could pull apart a stand of trees with interlocking tree crowns. A job that could be dangerous for a tree faller with a chainsaw.