Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mason City Vaults

Tommjr ยท 2010-08-29 09:23

Anybody Have a guess on how big a telephone vault is? I have a 911 job in Mason City, IA for the phone company. I have to be there Monday morning and completely remove a vault from the street. They told me it was 8'x8'x8'. Does This sound right? If so, how thick are the walls and bottom? I'm sending down two guys with a breaker and my brand new JD 50D excavator. Will this be sufficient, or should I send the JD 120? Any response is greatly appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1Aliate2010-08-29 09:46

    better to have too much than not enough.

  2. #2pemolitor2010-08-30 00:01

    That's my hometown! Where are you digging at? If you need anything let me know. My old man does excavation there and works for qwest. If you are going there, he turned the job down. Dring the big one!

  3. #3cummins052010-08-30 00:19

    When we set vaults in we used a 25 ton knuckle picker truck not sure on the weight but im sure the company i worked for said it was as small as they could go

  4. #4pemolitor2010-08-30 00:58

    Most vaults around here are poured in place. My brother and I are building 2 currently.

  5. #5danocheese2010-09-09 15:59

    So what did you find in Mason city???