Hello. Just bought this crawler Don't know much about this machine, just got it ( cheap) but at times under load the 2 speed powershift will just stop, I then run the shifter from forward to reverse then back then it seems to reluctantly move again Fluid is full, hydraulics and everything else works fine, is this something typical and I'm missing something? Or is this an adjustment or something I need to make Any help is appreciated Hopefully I have posted this correctly, if not I apologize
Sounds like a strainer or filter is loading up.
Further to DMillers suggestion, a similar problem in Case 580B backhoes might be a clue: the old Case machines had a suction line to the reverser and torque pump that tends to partially plug with old rubber bits and garbage, (no screen) slowing down or nearly stopping the pump flow. Also located in a real crappy place to get to. It seems to me that the ** 300 was some sort of sticker slap on a European (Hanomag?) crawler, so parts might be a bear to find. My first move would be to lay your hands on a service manual (eBay, manual copy people like Jensales, etc) It should outline pressure test points on the reverser (and torque, if it has one) which will give you clues as to what is wrong. Best of luck, Jon
....Forgot this suggestion: Make sure the oil you are using for the reverser/torque converter is the correct stuff. If it uses the same oil as the gear transmission, you have to get an oil that does NOT have certain additives that are good for gears but NFG for friction surfaces like reverser clutch plates. Meaning they will slip. It is pretty common nowadays, but I don't know the generic name for it. Case calls is "TDH" fluid. Jon.
The MF300 was designed in the US and built in Aprilia Italy by **. The MF300 came out before ** acquired Hanomag. It probably called for M1129 fluid which is now called Perm-Tran 821XL. Should be manuals online.
Thanks all, I will get online and get a manual and see what I can figure out
Good luck finding any parts for this
Use perma trans 821 in my 180 allis. CNH dealers still stock.
Well the machine was moving and operating fine when I first looked at it and I got it for what it would cost to rent one for a couple of days, I know parts will be like dinosaur eggs to find though I'm used to using a 1941 D6 Caterpillar so it's like a whole new animal for me, very easy to operate and is a lot easier to work with the powershift and steering but know nothing about its mechanics, the old D6 is pretty simple, if you can get the pony started your good to go It will be doing light work around the farm so if I can get this nailed down it will last as long as me probably. Are there no salvage yards around with parts if needed or have they all been sucked dry? I understand they were used in Canada
Have you checked with Zimmerman in Versailles or General Gear in ID? They tend to have more oddball equipment in the yards. Doubt Chartrand in Redbud IL will have anything as they cleared the yards several years back.
Here's some manuals for sale. I also found info on what trans. fluid to use from someone who owned MF300's. https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=crawlers&th=69824 "dextron two atf is what the book calls for it don't foam and now you mixed it with hyd oil thats why it bubbled over and you got air in the system and lost prime on the steering pump. i had 5 **-300 at one time best da- machines made even to this day. if you need info on tracks or sprockets i have some help for you" https://www.repairmanual.com/produc...el-crawler-service-manual-js-mh-s-mf300-crwl/
I have an operators manual and just ordered a service and parts manual, better to have too much info as not enough, I will be doing a full service on it and I'm sure it will take a map to figure out where to fill and check everything I'm hoping its just something like a bad filter or similar. It moved fine when I looked it over but of course it wasn't under working load Thanks guys