G'day Fellas - I have a fuel leak from the IP on the above tractor - pictures to follow. Just noticed the other day although I suspect what I always thought was an oil leak is in fact a fuel leak but is now bad enough to be a concern. In the pictures that will follow there is a disc like structure on the LHS of the pump. This disc has a hole (manufactured) in the centre and it appears to drip fuel repeatedly while high idling. It looks like it contains some sort of diagpraghm judging by its shape? But I am guessing. Can I remove this part without disturbing the IP timing etc???? Equally there is a cover plate on the front of the IP which also appears to leak fuel. Any ideas welcome - just starting out on this journey. I have had the entire IP out before for new seals quite a few years ago but don't really remember how or what to look for. FYI just acquired a Kubota L4600 with 4/1 bucket and backhoe and sold my Bobcat. Reason being I need to see around with my young boy being mobile now.
Sorry about the multiples - don't know what happened. Disc in first photo has small hole in middle which leaks fuel. Can I remove this for repair/replacement with the IP in the machine? Second photo(s) you see the cover plate rounded oblong shape on the front middle section. Can I remove and re-seal this or does it have something intrinsic behind it I should not touch???
First is a pulsation damper, yes diaphragm, that probably screws in. If the second one is the plate below the CAV tag it's just two bolts and a gasket.
Thanks Tenwheeler. I have pulled both items. Diaphragm came out with small ball in recess? Cover plate came off and I have re-affixed with RTV = carefully. Now looking for correct diaphragm as someone previously has defaced most numbers on the IP. Appreciated your solid advices. Regards.
SAVE the ball, you'll need it for the new dapner.. also 2 orings.. SOMETIMES theres a steel washer also. it gets caught UP IN the advance bore.. DONT LOOSE IT. I'll try to get the #'s for ya today..
I have saved the steel ball. There are no o rings on the two little skirted areas on the dampener I removed - it is probably as old as the tractor. I put a magnet inside the bore and nothing came out and I could not feel anything with my finger so it is either still there or not at all. Pulled some numbers from the internet and got some alike looking bits, https://www.stardiesel.com/en/damper-dpa-perkins-ref-7139-159b.html Don't know if inserting google address works but there it is above. Don't know a supplier in Australia at this time. Thanks for the feedback/help.
Get a pick & go up in the bore.. they're/ its there.. There are 2 orings or 2 orings & a steel washer.. IF the dampner has 2 groves in it, it takes 2 orings.. IF the dampner has 1 groove & 1 land, it takes 2 orings AND a stell washer.. The P# you had posted is the correct #.. you can SEE it has 2 "grooves" for the orings.. compare it to yours.
I have been replacing other stuff while the fuel system is down. As you can see the fuel filters are - well they speak for themselves but they have been in for probably more than 12 years. I do service my equipment with regularity but this one missed my schedules. The filters are Baldwin and you have to take your hats off to the quality of the build still functioning after that time period. I have found the 2 x o rings on the shaft of the dampener. I have removed and have 2 x for replacement once I acquire a new dampener. It does not look serviceable or made to be serviced. I have put new fuel line in and hose clamps as necessary. I don;t know what you mean by 'land'? If there is a steel washer in the port is there any point in removing it? Thanks again.
The dampner has 2 "GROOVES" for orings 1 groove at the top & 1 flat spot/land..
Acquired new damper for $135 A locally. Bit expensive but such is life. No washer in the port. Fitted. No start? No fuel. Lift pump used manually was peculiar. ie it has pressure in operating and then no pressure and then nothing. Removed and full of proverbial. Strange in that I fuel other pieces of equipment and use the same additives and have no issues. Glass bowls always clean? Perhaps the opaque fuel bowls don't allow the light to kill the bug? If the bug creates red dirt type of residue??? I have used bug killer but maybe not enough. Fuel supply tank on Massey is plastic so hardly likely to deposit rust or other? Will try again tomorrow to clean and refit. Internals look fine except for filthy deposits in orifices and clogging screen.
Issue - tractor won't start? I have fuel to the injectors but many many attempts and motor won't start. I don't believe at this time is is unassociated with the fact I just changed parts on the IP. So I have fuel but maybe not sufficient is my figuring at this time. I did not check the mechanical lift pump mechanism under the diaphragm when the pump was apart and am wondering it it is worn and thereby causing insufficient pressure/supply to the IP even though some flows? The reason I say this is because the lift pump when I use it manually has only maybe 10-15mm of movement in the end of it's range of movement that forces fuel and I need to turn the motor to a position where I can use that as I guess the cam drive for the lift pump is at a high point at other times. Seems insufficient to me??????????? But don't know???? Any ideas welcome. Don't want to use Aerostart(ether) too many horror stories. Suggestions?
Started! I found two bleeders on the IP that one had all air and the other had air and fuel a bit. I managed to have the lift pump work like it should a few times and then not work properly??? It seems like the lift pump when you pump it stays in the up position internally, ie the diaphragm does not return to where you can pump again???? Ideas welcome. Could it be crud in the fuel tank blocking the uptake? Although it flowed freely when it was disconnected from the lift pump? I will put on the agenda to drain and clean tank somehow (does not look accessible) when I next run it near low. Thanks for any input and I guess persistence pays off although my technique could do with a lot of improvement.
The lift pumps are very inexpensive about 40.00US. The bleed screw you want to use is by the name plate.. loosen & crank the engine until clean fuel SQUIRTS out.. IF the LP is working properly, it'll shoot fuel across the room.. 1 more thing> when you replaced the filters.. did you change them to ones that look EXACTLY LIKE the ones you took out?? W/ all the holes in the top?? IF NOT.. you may have put the oring in the wrong position.. IF you put the big oring ON TOP OF THE FILTER.. THATS WRONG.. The oring MUST GO, UP IN the filter head 1st.. NOT ON the filter..
The diaphragm in a priming pump doesn't do up and down with EVERY stroke. It pushes on the fuel to provide the pressure, IF the fuel moves, then the lever or cam pulls the diaphragm down to suck more fuel in, then the spring pushes it out. No fuel movement means that the diaphragm is held away from the lever, no resistance is felt, or just a little at the end of the stroke. More than normal resistance means that the supply is restricted/vacuum. If that doesn't make sense, take a spare pump and hook up two temporary hoses and play with a can of diesel or water. It will makes sense quicker doing it than reading about it.
G'day Delmer. Thanks for teaching me something. I thought that the pump would pump all the time bar when the cam was already engaging the pump lever from the motor side. Also thought the cam would disengage more often than once every two revolutions. All that being said I started and ran the tractor today for an hour doing some slashing. Only difference a little longer to start but not long - few seconds - and black/grey smoke and some lumpiness in the running for a few minutes. Settled down fine and slashed fine. Given that I will just leave the lift pump for now as it is how I was looking at it and not what it was doing. However how then do you diagnose a faulty pump if a working pump and faulty pump both give no feedback pressure in manually lifting them? Cheers - no apparent leaks from damper or other. Checked bottom of fuel tank and very very thin layer of red dust? (Very dusty environment here) Obviously turned to sludge but I would say time had caused my issues with the filters and lift pump and the damper reached its lifespan. Fuel inside the IP and in the lines appeared clear. Regards,
I mean engage once every two revolutions!