I have a MF300 track loader that has a bad ring gear. I got one, but it is just a hair too big and fits loosely on the flywheel. This is a wet sump torque converter type transmission and is different from the standard clutch type flywheel. If anyone has any information where I can get one either new or used, I would appreciate it. Running into dead ends everywhere. Thanks, Brad
Try Minnpar?
Thanks. Called them this morning. They only handle smaller tractor stuff. Nothing for this machine. I have spent the last couple days calling and computer searching ..... all dead ends. The ** part numbers I have right from the original parts and service manual are no longer good numbers and they don't cross to a Perkins number or anything else current. The ring gear for the clutch application that I got is so close, I guess I will see if it can be welded on. I am running out of options. Thanks again
What was the issue to the old gear? If it was not totally chewed up or had been damaged in removal it could be reused. All six cyl engines stop in one of there places when shut off, a 4 cyl in one of two places with the stopping points within a few teeth of previous stops. Would only have to re-install the gear 30-45degrees off from where it came off to get useful area again.
Well, the ring gear is pretty well chewed in two opposite spots. If I turn the engine away from them, the starter engages until it reaches one of them and kicks out. I think we have come up with a solution. Seems they don't make the correct ring gear any more. The common one that fits all 4 cyl Perkins with a clutch type flywheel is the same on the outside to the starter, but slightly larger inside diameter. If I have the flywheel "flame sprayed" and then machined down to build it up the few thousands of an inch it needs to mate to the standard ring gear, I can replace with standard gear in the future if needed.
If it's that close I'd take a sharp chisel and go around the flywheel "knurling" it. Make small chisel marks on the seating surface on the flywheel, deepest toward the back and shallow toward the face of the flywheel so you can still get it started easily. Do it evenly around and take it easy to start, it will be easy to make it too tight.
Thanks for the advise, but we figured the ring gear is about .050 too big. The flywheel will need to be built up and then machined down to get the press fit necessary. Just wouldn't trust any short cut at this point. Especially considering that we are dealing with a wet sump torque converter and everything that has to be done to pull the engine. If something came apart..........