Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Massey Ferguson 3366

GerryBR · 2024-07-22 18:18

Hello Heavy Equipment Forum friends. After a long time working on an old ** dozer 3366 (about 3 years) the machine starts working slowly. As I told in the beginning, the dozer stayed below the trees for 15 years and problems are appearing as the machine gets hot, oil gets hot, etc. My problem now is that the steering clutch doesn´t open when the oil gets hot, the pistons have not enough power to do that. Pump is ok, Piston seals are all new. The pump/ Steering control and pistons work with the same fluid as the torque converter. So when the oil gets very thin, I can´t turn the dozer. Someone told me to put 15W40 instead of ATF oil, because old machines are worn out, they need thicker oils??? is that correct. Thanx for any help /Gery

Replies3
  1. #1hector gemme2024-07-22 21:17

    You can used 10 or 20 SAE W OIL

  2. #2Welder Dave2024-07-22 23:04

    I would have thought an ** machine would use an oil like what is now called Permatran. I wouldn't use standard engine oil. There are several instances where using the wrong oil just doesn't work. I think you'd want to use a high quality oil meeting Cat TO-4 soecs. if you don't use an ** oil. I think Hector is right about the weight of oil to use. He's posted info on ** machines in the past and sold parts for them.

  3. #3Mquinista2024-07-23 14:52

    My 5 cents on the matter, Recently i´ve been strugling with a similar TXM problem and guess what, pump was gone and the worst was the sealings were all leaking a lot, machine was still turning and releasing brakes but it was a matter of time. After chasing witches around it, took the byte and got everithing overhauled and now its fine. I got away with just new seals and rings, only one ring to wall contact was a litle messed up. good luck with yours.