Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Massey Ferguson 40B – Removing Boom Rod From Cylinder To Replace Seals

Diesel40B · 2026-09-19 10:16

Hi all, With the help of a neighbor I’ve been replacing seals on the backhoe portion of my 40B. We’ve been pulling the rods without removing the barrel. The boom rod points back at the tractor, so it makes replacing seals a bit more interesting. Our thoughts right now are to lower the backhoe over a hill to extend the rod as far as possible in order to clear the swing cylinder and the hoses. Does this make sense or do we need to disconnect hoses and backhoe? Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. Thank you for your time!

Replies5
  1. #1Deere500a2026-09-19 12:56

    Sounds good, stretch out hoe can pull the pin from the swing tower & retract the rod less oil & glad nut removed can leave the barrel blocked up in place to pull out piston opposite out rigger raised as come along anchor to pull out to reseal.

  2. #2Deere500a2026-09-19 13:15

    Similar to old JDs the glad may have to be hammer taped back in 2" into the barrel, barrel has retaining snap ring holding glad.

  3. #3Welder Dave2026-09-19 17:27

    I'm going to be helping a friend do the boom cylinder on a Cat hoe. I think you have the right idea. Have to get the boom low enough the rod from the cylinder is pointing upwards so it can go over the swing post. You might have to remove the hoses to get them out of the way. What's up with your bucket cylinder? Looks like a homemade gland assembly.

  4. #4Diesel40B2026-09-20 10:31

    Thank you. This one will be a challenge.

  5. #5Diesel40B2026-09-20 10:39

    I’ll try and take some pictures and post them, if you’d like. My neighbor has had a lot experience replacing seals, so he’s pushed us on through some of the tough parts! The bucket cylinder was like that when I purchased it. I tried to find a replacement cylinder at one time, but had no luck. When we replaced the seals, we could see that the threads on the barrel and gland had some damage. Not sure exactly what happened.