Hi, I'm looking for a ** 54A Backhoe Bucket Cylinder for the Long Dipper (1605176M92). The tractor is a Massey Ferguson 40B. I'm not sure what other Masseys use the same bucket cylinder, but if you know of someone with a parts tractor, I'd be interested in hearing. Thank you for your time.
A usable used bucket cylinder that old is going to be very hard to find. The bucket cylinder gets beat up worse than any other cylinder. What's wrong with the old one? a new gland, and/or rod from a machinist is a typical fix.
Delmer Thanks for responding. The previous owner had damaged the bucket cylinder barrel or the gland or possibly both. I'm not sure how it happened, but they welded a bracket onto the gland that has bolts that run back to the barrel. The cylinder is leaking and needs to be repacked. I haven't taken it off and it might not be an issue, but if I could find a replacement it might be nice to eliminate this modified cylinder. As you said it may be hard to find.
Just wanted to mention that the 54A Backhoe was on the 40B, 30B and also the 50C in case someone may have retired one to the field. Thanks.
How about a picture of that kludge? I'd like to see that. Joe H
Machinery trader, There is a 50A being parted out in Fresno, the bucket cylinder is still on the stick...
This was an awesome repair job by the previous owner, and it has served me well. So by no means is this to discredit him. On the other hand this might be a solution for someone where there is similar damage and the cylinder is no longer available. Although I haven't opened it up, it appears to still be serviceable.
That is a very clever and well made repair. Reseal it and keep using it. IMHO
Damn, that's some clever work & no reason to replace the cylinder that I can see. Joe H