I just purchased a new (to me) MF60 hoe. I'm working on a few things to get it home. A thing that has me puzzled is these two pedals, the forward and reverse ones. Are these pedals suppose to "both" go down when you push on the forward one? I don't know, but it seems odd the 'reverse" would also go down. When I push on the forward, it only moves slightly, then I have to tap the reverse to get it to stop and reverse. So my question to someone who has had experience with these is... Should they both be going down at the same time can someone explain this to me, in "layman's" term. Thank's, Rick
the last Massey I drove had side by side forward reverse pedals, press the forward pedal, both go down but only moves forward.press reverse, same thing but moves reverse.If you push pedals down it selects neutral to increase engine speed.
Thank you very much for this information. I don't understand this part.... How can it move forward, if it selects "neutral" to increase speed Can you explain a little more on this part. Seems very confusing to me.
the Massey ( as I used) had a 3 directional foot pedal, push down left, go forward, push down right go reverse, push, push centre, increases engine speed for lifting load etc etc
Ok, so your saying, you push one pedal all the way down, to get it into "forward". Push the other pedal all the way down to get it into "reverse". Then you push "both pedals" for the speed? Or did your machine have "three" pedals. Now I'm getting really confused...lol
push pedal down for direction ie forward or reverse and acceleration/engine speed. Sometimes when loading using the front bucket you have to pause in travel to lift the bucket higher to avoid the truck, thats when you use the centre pedal
When you say "center pedal" do you mean "both" pedals at the same time. Or did your tractor actually have " 3 pedals". One in the middle of forward and reverse.
it is a rocker pedal, works 3 ways. Why not try yours in real?
Ok, thanks for all the info. I don't know if mine is working properly and wanted to know how they work. Your information was very helpful. Thank's.:beerchug
make sure the whole pedal assembly is clear of mud or dirt of anykind,it is a great, fast system that works well if looked after
The forward/reverse pedals also tie in with the throttle. If you have the hand throttle in a low position (hand throttle on left side of cab to the left of the seat by the ignition key), the F and R pedals will also increase above your setting the farther down you push the pedal. The throttle is increased as your load to the F/R drive input is increased. You don't have to run the throttle at max input in order to get the machine to move. I was test running an MF80 last week and this is how it was set up. The MF60, MF70, and MF80 used the same transmission drive configuration. The first generation Massey industrials had three pedals for the instant reverse transmission controls. Enjoy that MF60 backhoe. That is the first Massey hoe to have the load sense hydrualics with the axial piston variable displacement hydraulic pump. You should find the hydraulics to be really nice compared with other older backhoes. I was looking at buying one of these several weeks ago on Craigslist, but the buyer just did not want to answer my questions nor let me set up a time to come look at it. I ended up buying a 580C instead. Definitely not the same class machine, but it will get the job done.
I forgot to add...if you need any parts on the machine, you can go to agcopartsbooks.com and look there. Click on the sign in as a "guest" and then input your make and model of what you are looking up. You can look up the whole machine and you can look up the attachments separately. There is lots of info to look over on AGCO's site.
A 50 has two pedals on the right, one forward, one reverse, push them farther down for more speed, push both for neutral and down to rev it up. If the linkage (external) is sticking then it won't go into forward or reverse because the pedals stick together. Use some spray lube (wd40 etc) to soak the sticky parts then work the pedals a bunch BEFORE you start the machine up. If you rev it and pull the sticky pedal back, you might end up with a lawn ornament. After everything is nice and free, keep spraying the lube for a while, then when you trust it's clean switch to some real grease to keep it from sticking a little longer. Also after you use this loader set up for a while, be careful when backing up an automatic transmission...
Wow, thank's 580 and Delmer, great info. Delmer, can you elaborate more on what you mean, here... What should I be careful about, also, by the way, I just ordered a "kingpost" for this hoe, from the states. Should be in next week. Massey didn't carry it anymore and it was hard to get a part like this here in Ontario. The original was broke.
where abouts are you in eastern ont trevor b
backing an automatic transmission... On the loader you put your right foot on the left pedal to back, then hit the right pedal to go forward. Then you get in your car to go home, back up, stop, and then your foot instinctively hits the right pedal to go forward except now the right pedal is the gas and you're still in reverse.
I'm near Rockland/Clarence
Gotcha.:thumbsup
welcome im in kemptville 416&401 area if you need any help i mybe able to help just pm me i will send you my phone # trevor b
580C, I wonder if next time your over there, you could find out what type of tranny fluid this would use. Or perhaps someone else knows..... I know it's "red" I seen a little of it dripping from the cover, under the tranny. I just assumed that the hydraulic system also fed the tranny, but it doesn't. This has the torque drive, I'm wondering if any dextron 11 fluid would do. What do you guys think....
hookedondiesel how are you doing did you get your swing tower in yet thats case owners call it .i might have a line on a old massey will let you know when i find out talk to you later trevor b
Yes, it's on its way....should get it tomorrow or day after. Got one in "Indiana" had a few issues with Fedx, never again will I use them. But I may, or i should say, i will need other parts, so yes, let me know for sure.:thumbsup I figured out the tranny oil issue,.... They use Permatran for the tranny, I don't know what this other fella put in, so i may do a complete change. Hydraulics are separate from the tranny, it uses 10 weight. I still don't have it at my place yet, lol...weather over here is the pits and I have a few things to do before transport. So yes, Trev, let me know if you come across something. Thank', Rick.
Those ** hydra shuttle tractors are pretty good machines, I worked with an outfit that ran 12 of them in parking lot construction. The drawbacks that they have; the shuttle transmission had no constant most shaft that passed from to rear, therefor you could not have a PTO beyond shaft to power any type of driven implements like a mower or mixer. When you have the backhoe it is not a big deal. The swing motor is prone to leakage and the front dive shaft for the hydraulic pump is prone to stripping the pump drive splines, we finally started building our own, the shaft is left hand threaded where it screws into the drive plate, learned that the hard way. Torque convertor is a Borg-Warner, transmission and power lift system will operate on dextron ii or permatrans, as long as it has a aw 32 viscosity, hydraulics for loader and backhoe are hydraulic or 10 wt, not sure bout the newest motor oils, but we always 10 wt hydo instead of 10 wt motor oil because the same viscosity but the motor oil had detergent added which tended to foam in the hydraulics. The Perkins engines that they run are pretty good little units. Another word of warning, if you go through the engine at any point; MARK the head bolts exact location when removing them and be sure to replace in the same hole. There are 4 different length bolts and the lengths of some are within 1 or 2 mm's. not much, but in the wrong place will lock down the camshaft and ruin the engine if you get it to turn over. and they have no cam bearings. All in all, congratulations on the acquisition, ** tractors are pretty tough, I would still run them here if I had any dealer support!
Thanks for the info, bvfdfire. Mine doesn't have the "swing motor ", it has the two cylinders for the swing. It's suppose to have a dip stick for the tranny, but for the life of me, I can't find it. Under the tranny, there's two plates, one for inspection, I assume, it has only four bolts. The other, you remove to drain and clean filter etc. In between those two plates is a "hole" looks like an overflow hole or something When the machine is started, tranny oil will come out of it for a few minutes and stop afterwords. Don't know why this is happening. Looks like I have my work cut out to get this thing back in shape.