Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

** Massey Ferguson 965 SAE ISO control switch

JamieBy · 2021-11-26 17:08

Hi Folks New to the forum, I have been searching this for a week or so, Just bought a 1995 ** 965 with joystick controls. Bought it as more of a hobby really. I will have my work cut out taming the electronics on it. Anyone know if its possible to switch the controls on this thing? At the moment it is a plus pattern ... slew and bucket crowd are correct like ISO - but boom lift and dipper in and out are swapped. There is NO way I'm leaving it like this, The best answer we have come up with so far is to swap pipes at the valve chest, anyone got a better idea? Thanks in advance for helping me with problem 1

Replies11
  1. #1JamieBy2021-11-29 16:26

    Realised this post is on the wrong thread but it cant be edited, seems I'm talking to myself anyway. From more trawling the internet I think the controls can be switched using the diagnostic tool that plugs into the computer in the digger. (Diagnostic terminal/Calibration Unit (Part N° 3621167M2)) Looks like I will have to find a main dealer and see if I can borrow one of those. Anyone know if there is an option for that that doesn't cost +- €1000?? Does anyone know if its possible to connect a pc per chance? I'm good with computers so don't mind if its technical. In my mind if you have a connector to go from the machine to usb and the right software / driver it should be possible. Also found some manuals: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14XwflDX5kF5VhpOr2YDr2_MmvicSASEp/view?usp=sharing https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nXYuBiIJkkWuifSXfZXbUvD6VoudTI_1/view?usp=sharing https://drive.google.com/file/d/1frdBLMvvH4XQFC5RX6s8M-YqQga1173p/view?usp=sharing

  2. #2Tinkerer2021-12-05 14:20

    Welcome to HEF, JamieBy ! Be patient. Someone will eventually read this and offer some help.

  3. #3Filip2022-11-13 02:12

    Hi, It is RS232 protocol. Use following settings: Baud rate - 9600 Data bits - 7 Parity - Even Stop bits - 2 If everything is OK, you should receive ENQ message (0x05 in hex), and you need to reply with ACK message (0x06 in hex). The best way to do that is to use auto-reply function on your computer software. After that ** will send 'ENGLISH TYPE Y OR N'

  4. #4guberthelsen2023-05-15 04:09

    Hi Philip I have the same problem and have seen your answer. I do not understand that you write that it is the RS232 protocol. it is not an RS232 connector that is used for connection. can you explain

  5. #5Abseim2023-05-15 07:47

    Rs232 is a protocol that appears on all sorts of connectors. Just need to know which wire is TX, Rx, and ground and cobble together your own connector

  6. #6Case595SLE2024-03-23 08:12

    Hello, wich software should I use? I receive ENQ-Message 00 05 but I can't reply! What's the problem? Can I use another terminal?

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-03-23 18:05

    This thread has to be the record for longest period between posts on multiple occassions. Hopefully someone can help Case595SLE before next year.

  8. #8Matix2024-10-26 08:59

    hi, what software did you use? I receive an incorrect message, and if I also try to connect the gnd to the USB-RS232 converter I receive no messages

  9. #9guberthelsen2025-02-17 04:44

    Hello, Has anyone succeeded in programming the control in Rs232 from a PC, and if so, which program did you use and which version of windows

  10. #10Filip2026-04-24 13:49

    I used the first program I found on Google – Termite. To establish communication, you need three wires: RX, TX, and GND. The easiest way is to open the box and identify which pins go to the MAX232 chip so you can correctly trace the connections. After entering the settings I mentioned in the previous post, you should receive the message 05 – ENQ. This is the most important part: you must respond as quickly as possible with 06 – ACK. That’s why I mentioned using the autoreply function, because if you don’t respond fast enough, you won’t enter programming mode.

  11. #11guberthelsen2026-04-25 13:49

    Thank you very much for your answer Filip