Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

No reverse New Holland B95C 3600 hrs

RRD ยท 2021-11-27 12:10

Hello all. New to forums. Have forward but no reverse. Checked all fuses. Checked for broken wires. Took shifter apart and cleaned. Worked a few times then stopped working. Forward still good. Replaced shifter. Still same, no reverse or backup alarm but forward works. Swapped the shuttle solenoids. Still same, no reverse. Thinking system uses one solenoid for forward and takes both for reverse. Not sure. I have about exhausted all I can think of. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks, RRD

Replies14
  1. #1Swetz2021-11-29 06:51

    First, we need to know which trans you have. Do you have a shifter like #1 below?

  2. #2RRD2021-11-29 08:44

    Good morning. Yes, this is my shifter # 1. Have replaced #5 fwd neutral reverse shifter.

  3. #3NH575E2021-11-29 10:10

    Since it worked a few times after cleaning the Forward Reverse switch would point to the possibility of a wiring problem. I would follow the harness and look for a broken wire.

  4. #4Swetz2021-11-30 07:58
  5. #5Swetz2021-11-30 08:02

    I think this is your setup. Will look for wiring when I get a min.

  6. #6RRD2021-11-30 10:13

    Hello Swetz, my solenoids are different. Two one behind the other mount on the shuttle piston. Will upload a pic later. Am tracing wires now. Thanks

  7. #7Swetz2021-11-30 11:33

    Ok, sorry, that is the only B95 manual I have. Not only look for bad wiring as NH575E suggested, but check all connectors carefully. A little corrosion or a pushed out pin could cause your issue. Also make sure the connectors are fully engaged (pushed together).

  8. #8RRD2021-11-30 13:17

    Will do. Thanks for the help Guys.

  9. #9Tinkerer2021-11-30 19:56

    I'm a couple of days late. But, Welcome to HEF, RRD !

  10. #10RRD2021-12-01 12:45

    Hello all and thanks for the replies and welcomes. Believe I found the problem. The Deutsch connector to the shifter had a pin loose. Hardly could notice. Had a little play, hardly noticeable in one pin. Pushed in and held. Went to reverse. Have run into this before 30 plus years ago with solderless pins in connectors. Will pull apart and reconnect the pins. Hopefully this is it. Thanks again for the help. Will get back on when I fix to make sure this is it. RRD

  11. #11Swetz2021-12-01 14:48

    Thanks for the update!!

  12. #12NH575E2021-12-01 16:33

    Glad you got it going. Thanks for reporting back. Little stuff like this can drive you crazy. Not as serious as no reverse but my 575E would lose connection to the radio. The problem is in one of the gang plugs to the fuse panel. I have cleaned, removed quick disconnects, re-crimped, and wiggled until I'm blue in the face. It would go along for a month then hit a bump and out goes the radio. I can remove the cover and wiggle the connector and it's back. Not sure what I did different last time but it's been several months since the last disconnect. Years ago I found my first bad solder joint on a dashboard pin connector. I traced the problem for several hours before I found it. The only good thing was it wasn't intermittent and remained dead so I could track it down. When I touched my soldering iron to the back of the pin the solder that looked as good as all the other pins just blew away like it had a gas bubble from the flux. I tinned it and re-soldered it and away the problem went. This is common on some Ford odometers. I have had to re-solder the connector pins on my Mustang AND my F150 to get the odometer lights back on.

  13. #13RRD2021-12-04 12:22

    Yes, tracing electrical problems drives me nuts. Actually, it turned out not being the pin. I had a loose pin which I fixed. The culprit was an open in the reverse wire which was not detectable to the eye. Wire looked good. Used the thumbnail method and ran my thumbnail along my wires till I found a catch. Sure enough it was a break in the wire. No broken insulation. Wire looked good. Resplice and everything works well. Saw that thumbnail method on youtube. Always learning something. RRD

  14. #14Swetz2021-12-04 13:20

    Awesome! Thanks for the update. Happy tractoring!!