Just picked up a new (to me ) mf4500 if i were to guess mid 70s all around good machine the only drawback is it is gas ik just awful right? its got a contental z145 in it currently with a bad cam profile that eats distributors the same day you install them well it got me to thinking what engine options were available and compatible for these as most i have worked on are almost exclusively perkins ad/ag 3.152 engines has anyone ever seen them with ferguson standard diesels or contental engines before and if so what all is different i assume as they are ** industrial tractor based they all share the same bellhousing and frame oil pan set up to be swapped around with each other
I had a shop, 79 to 93. Worked on several Massey's during that period. All obviously were older than yours. All I recall had 3 cylinder Perkins diesels, so I cannot help you right off. If you will post a pic of the data plate showing mdl, SN# and accompanying info, I will shake some lines back into my era to seek answers. Top of my head would be to pull the engine and go thru it as needed to use. Unless you are going to be really working it, be much quicker and prolly quite a bit cheaper in the long run. Hey, get you a manual for it for 28.99... Says and diesel. Might answer some detail. https://www.amazon.com/Ferguson-Tractor-Forklift-Operators-MF4500/dp/B01EY6NSX6
I have all the manuals for them the issue is in the parts manuals it doesn't show any reference besides the ad/ag3.152 and one older one 1966 shows reference for a z145 contental but thats about it honestly i just acquired a ferguson 23c diesel engine out of a early 50s t40 tractor i wonder if that would bolt in if i remember correctly all the industrial ** equipment shared the same cast oil pan i can get to the yard and get a SN tomorrow ill post a pic also thanks for the help its nice to talk to someone else who knows about ** industrial equipment I considered rebuilding it but tbh the z145 was never an engine that was very good at being a engine and we use this forklift to do hevey lift it would definitely be worth the trouble to put a diesel in it
Well, I gather you have the Ferguson on hand. Me; there, I'd pull the gas. Compare the bell housing/flywheels and any possible mounting working or not. I do not recall ever having the Perkins out of one, ours either engine fuel pump/injectors or mostly the hydraulics, lift and tilt cylinders repacking. LOL, folks down here piled on counter weight to make it lift more than it should. Usually unloading rough oak lumber at a furniture factory, and whatever it took to get it off.... Were not popular but were available cheaper than the bigger pneumatics. I was with Clark when they came out with the Clark/John Deere tractor lift. Went up, flew a short time., crashed as far as I recall. From pic appearance, if it's capacity fits your need, you can put money in it and have a tough dependable machine. Use up money you put in it, never fix, paint, modify to sell.. you would lose. Google rebuild kits for Z145 Continental and then camshafts/lifters. Several offerings..
Any progress/decisions on engine rebuild/swap in you have made on the machine you would care to share? An interesting machine to an old guy like me. Thank you