Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Massey Ferguson rear main seal replacement

Norman Shaun Swim ยท 2019-01-13 18:41

Is it possible to replace the 2 piece rope rear main engine seal (Perkins)without breaking the tractor apart. I was told it is a major job to do. I was wondering if there is any way of removing the oil pan and getting at it where it is a 2 piece unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2019-01-13 19:21

    I replaced a flex plate in a similar **/perkins once, might as well have been the main seal, I don't remember it being a terrible job. I cheated and only pulled the engine forward a foot or less, and supported it off the loader frame. I can't tell you what you need to do to replace the seal, I'm paying attention though.

  2. #2Frank McHutchison2019-02-17 21:40

    Hi all. My first post. I am an old tractor mechanic should be retired but still love the challenge, I specialise in Massey Ferguson but play with them all even the Green ones only joking. Your question .the answer is no ,if you can and successfully I will give you a job ,split the tractor ,remove the flywheel and you will have access to the rear crankshaft seal it is either a (rope Type) which is two halves ,note roll the new seals into the housing carefully starting in the centre, caution do not cut any excess of with the both halves fitted soak them in engine oil Next remove the sump and replace the sump gaskets and the front and rear cork seals ,the cork goes hard with time and usually leaks more than the rear main,refit the sump, then refit the rear main assembly,do not tighten the two long bolts,just a little bit at a time then carefully being the two halves to touching the engine block then tighten the two long bolts I should have mentioned a little bit of gaskets adhesive between the two halves ,it is not an easy job and can be dangerous get someone to help. Remember don,t cut anything of the seals The other type of seals a large lip seal (later tractors) much easier to deal with ,check and make sure the crankshaft surface is good where the seal actually contacts,if it has a wear mark reseat the new seal a bit further back so that it runs on a good surface also replace the sump gaskets . Happy Days. Hutch.

  3. #3Tinkerer2019-02-17 22:06

    Welcome to HEF, Frank !

  4. #4Welder Dave2019-02-18 02:14

    If you have it split do the trans. seal at the same time. What ** tractor is it?

  5. #5mg23612019-02-18 05:08

    I also welcome you to HEF Frank .

  6. #6Delmer2019-02-18 08:33

    I believe this is a 304 industrial that he was considering buying.